HOA requires garage doors stay open all day

That's a new one. I've heard of HOAs that prohibit open garage doors except when in direct use, but not the other way around.

We've had this...uh, debate...with our HOA. We never use our front door, almost exclusively enter and exit the house through the garage. They're whined about us having it open, my response is to go pound sand.

HOAs should be outlawed and abolished. Can't stand them.

LMAO Placer County. I might have known. I wonder if they're getting a kickback from the nearby storage facility?

If this was enacted locally we'd return home to find out every item ransacked or stolen, right down to the light fixtures and door knobs.

We've had this...uh, debate...with our HOA. We never use our front door, almost exclusively enter and exit the house through the garage. They're whined about us having it open, my response is to go pound sand.

HOAs should be outlawed and abolished. Can't stand them.

I have to ask why do you live in a place with an HOA if you are just going to tell them to pound sand when they make a rule you don't like?

I think the rule is insane, but I don't have too much sympathy for the residents. When you choose this kind of living you are agreeing to letting someone else tell you how to live.

Really stupid and pointless. If it's already against the rules to have a family living in your garage, why not enforce the existing rule? In some areas, people use their garages for actual cars, but in warmer climates, garages frequently become storage units. Which is fine--you own the space, you get to choose how you use it. It sounds like this particular HOA is a little drunk with power.

I have to ask why do you live in a place with an HOA if you are just going to tell them to pound sand when they make a rule you don't like?

I think the rule is insane, but I don't have too much sympathy for the residents. When you choose this kind of living you are agreeing to letting someone else tell you how to live.

Believe me, I know it. As stated, I despise HOAs. But...we're there for the kids. Long story short, when we lived in PA, we had a home that was ideal for DW and I. Huge house on 3.5 acres of suburban (bordering on rural) land. Neighbors were 3 football fields away, at the closest. Directly across the street was a 550 acre farm, dating back hundreds of years. However, it wasn't ideal for the kids. Trying to find and arrange to play with friends was work. When we made the decision to leave PA and head south, as much as I hated it, I agreed that a subdivision was the best thing for them. Almost all subdivisions here in Atlanta are HOA, so we're sort of stuck. I do really like that every day, our kids can just go outside and play, or at worst, their friends are a few blocks away. Plus, if I'm stuck in a subdivision, it's about as good as it can get. We live on a tiny little off-shoot of a cul-de-sac, which only has 3 houses on it...and our house backs up to the woods.

If we're stuck in an HOA community, I have to give credit where credit is due. I've told them to pound sand on this garage door issue, but generally speaking they're relatively easy going compared to other HOAs. We close the door when we go to bed at night or if we're not home, but when we're home, it's open. Otherwise, they've been at least decent. But when we're empty nesters, we're leaving...we can stay local, but out of an HOA community.

Believe me, I know it. As stated, I despise HOAs. But...we're there for the kids. Long story short, when we lived in PA, we had a home that was ideal for DW and I. Huge house on 3.5 acres of suburban (bordering on rural) land. Neighbors were 3 football fields away, at the closest. Directly across the street was a 550 acre farm, dating back hundreds of years. However, it wasn't ideal for the kids. Trying to find and arrange to play with friends was work. When we made the decision to leave PA and head south, as much as I hated it, I agreed that a subdivision was the best thing for them. Almost all subdivisions here in Atlanta are HOA, so we're sort of stuck. I do really like that every day, our kids can just go outside and play, or at worst, their friends are a few blocks away. Plus, if I'm stuck in a subdivision, it's about as good as it can get. We live on a tiny little off-shoot of a cul-de-sac, which only has 3 houses on it...and our house backs up to the woods. So it's as private as a subdivision can get.

If we're stuck in an HOA community, I have to give credit where credit is due. I've told them to pound sand on this garage door issue, but generally speaking they're relatively easy going compared to other HOAs. We close the door when we go to bed at night or if we're not home, but when we're home, it's open. Otherwise, they've been at least decent.

That sucks, there is no way I could do it and thankfully that isn't common here.
I can't imagine not having much choice and having to deal with some committee making up stupid rules that I have to follow.
I take back the no sympathy, for people where there really is no place there isn't an HOA I feel for you. I didn't realize that in some areas it is just how it is.

Believe me, I know it. As stated, I despise HOAs. But...we're there for the kids. Long story short, when we lived in PA, we had a home that was ideal for DW and I. Huge house on 3.5 acres of suburban (bordering on rural) land. Neighbors were 3 football fields away, at the closest. Directly across the street was a 550 acre farm, dating back hundreds of years. However, it wasn't ideal for the kids. Trying to find and arrange to play with friends was work. When we made the decision to leave PA and head south, as much as I hated it, I agreed that a subdivision was the best thing for them. Almost all subdivisions here in Atlanta are HOA, so we're sort of stuck. I do really like that every day, our kids can just go outside and play, or at worst, their friends are a few blocks away. Plus, if I'm stuck in a subdivision, it's about as good as it can get. We live on a tiny little off-shoot of a cul-de-sac, which only has 3 houses on it...and our house backs up to the woods.

If we're stuck in an HOA community, I have to give credit where credit is due. I've told them to pound sand on this garage door issue, but generally speaking they're relatively easy going compared to other HOAs. We close the door when we go to bed at night or if we're not home, but when we're home, it's open. Otherwise, they've been at least decent. But when we're empty nesters, we're leaving...we can stay local, but out of an HOA community.
I wouldn't be living in a subdivision then.

Like the article says, because it endangers residents, it is almost certain that if residents challenge it in court, it will be immediately tossed out by a Judge.

There is a subdivision about 40 miles from this one in Gold River California where cars are banned in driveways or on the street after sunset. They have a parking area outside the subdivision to park cars in if you have more cars than garage space or overnight guests with cars. But they disclose that in advance before you buy a house there.

It would certainly put the rest of your home at risk. If both homeowners are gone and the garage door is up, it's a clear message to thieves that no one is home and the house is available for them. Sigh.

You're agreeing to abide by the rules set forth in the restrictive covenants. HOA's can't just willy nilly do anything they want. They have to be within federal and state law and they have to be within their own bylaws. And if they are not, a homeowner has every right to tell them to pound sand so to speak. I doubt very seriously if this Auburn Greens HOA abided by its own rules in making this new edict. I have no doubt it would not hold up in court. I've told my HOA to go pound sand on several occasions. The trouble with living in an area without restrictive covenants, especially if you're in a county without much in the way of ordinances is you end up next to the guy that makes his front yard a junk yard and runs a toxic waste dump of used automotive fluids in the back yard.

Almost all subdivisions here in Atlanta are HOA, so we're sort of stuck.

Is that just in the burbs perhaps? My 2 favorite ATL neighborhoods and ones I'm pondering again (strong desire for a change of scenery despite loving Nashville, been studying on moving since the fall) don't have HOAs and I far prefer not having to deal with them. Going to see if anything has changed...

I lived in a neighborhood of the overzealous HOA when I lived in the suburbs. Loved the house and the super private pool, but the people in that neighborhood were annoying as...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter