• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

!Hola! Bring Your Own Alcohol?

On what planet does a hotel not allow you to bring alcohol?

I never thought of this until I read it on the website for Hotel Monteleone in New Orleans a few years ago. I just re-checked and they now have this in the FAQ's on their website: "No ice chests are allowed to be brought into the hotel. There is a corkage fee of $10.00 per bottle plus tax and gratuity for liquor being brought into the hotel. Liquor being brought into the hotel must be pre-approved and must enter through the Back Door Security Office." So it would have been better for me to have said some hotels have restrictions. I'm guessing they aren't the only hotel with some kind of restrictions.

I don't think airlines have any restrictions on liquor in checked luggage. We have taken bourbon several times in our checked luggage. I just make sure it is nestled tightly in some clothes so it won't break. Disney doesn't care if you have it in your room. We never tried to hide it - just kept it sitting out where the ice bucket and glasses were.
Delta Airlines' website states that up to 5 liters of alcohol is allowed in checked baggage and the alcohol content must not exceed 140 proof and any alcohol must be in its original retail packaging. I think most US airlines have something similar since the 5-liter and 140 proof limits are set by the FAA.

Definitely not a problem, you see people bringing in cases of beer all the time and they even sell it at almost all if not all deluxe resorts in a locked box in the gift shops. Not usually beer, but almost alway the hard stuff such as tequila etc., but it is very very expensive in the stores as you may expect.

happymommy, i think i will take it via luggage. I just wanted to make sure and not assume :)

thank you for all your feedback. What do you guys think about bringing in a flask?
If you try to bring a flask into a park, kiss your vacation goodbye. Security and OCSO arrested a guy at EPCOT who tried to take back his flask last September. Closed down two lanes for about 5 minutes.

Good to know. I won't bring a flask. Thanks everyone. hmm I have to check the airlines that I might take to make sure the limitation on how much I can check in. I doubt I would bring much. It's good for knowledge :)

I wonder if Norway gift shop is open with the Frozen refurb going on? That's a great idea! Most often I fly into Ft Lauderdale first to visit the rellies, then drive up to WDW, so I can shop before I check in and return rental car. But if I fly into MCO first I'll be hitting Norway ::yes::

Yes it's open! I was just there. Next time I'll buy two bottles!

Definitely pack your own alcohol if you will be partaking in the rooms. The resort gift shops do have beer and sometimes liquor available, but at tremendous mark-up.

The wine selection varies with the WDW resort. It is possible to find good, fairly reasonably priced wines in addition to the higher end more extravagant ones.
It's helpful to know if you're not a fan of packing glass bottles of liquids.

What do you guys think about bringing in a flask?
If it stays in your room, no problems. I like my single malt scotch so bring a nip in a flask packed in my checked luggage. I wrap the flask in 3 or 4 ziplock bags (which I end up using for something else anyway) and place in the centre of the suitcase padded with clothes top and bottom. I've never had a problem with it leaking.

Ever since "no liquids or gels" made carry-ons impossible, and not wanting to risk breakage in checked bags, not to mention further weight and bulk, we wouldn't do it. Now there are Costcos everywhere, so if you have a membership it might be much more convenient to buy what you need when you get to your destination.

FWIW, if you're going to have an ice chest in a hotel room, keep it in the tub. Had a rotten experience with a styrofoam chest leaking everywhere once. Ugh.
Even without a leak, we get condensation on the outside of the chest even when using a hard-sided ice chest. Good idea to keep it in the tub and on a towel when out of the tub.

Ever since "no liquids or gels" made carry-ons impossible, and not wanting to risk breakage in checked bags, not to mention further weight and bulk, we wouldn't do it. Now there are Costcos everywhere, so if you have a membership it might be much more convenient to buy what you need when you get to your destination.

It's only convenient if you'll have a car in Orlando. I use Magical Express and just pack the flask-shaped plastic bottles in my checked luggage. Never had a problem.

Oh, and I second the recommendation for purchasing vodka in Norway, if you like vodka. I believe it was a full liter bottle and a little over $20 last time I did it. As a PP mentioned, you can't take it with you. They will ship to package pickup at either entrance you request. Allow three hours after purchase for your package to arrive at your pick up point. My understanding is you cannot get it delivered to your resort - only to the park entrance.

Yeah I don't drive. I am take the Magical Express. Thanks for the tip about Norway.

Yes, we bring a box of wine (fits perfect in frig) and plastic bottles of liquor to make mixed drinks. We also bring our own tervis insulated cups and use our resort refillable mugs as well. This is acceptable and a very common practice with frequent travelers, enjoy! :-)

Sorry if this is already been mentioned but I know that some of the grocery delivery services, at least Garden Grocer, will deliver alcohol or beer. They have a $40 minimum order requirement plus a $12 delivery fee, but you can also order a few snacks and toiletries if you don't plan to spend that much on drinks. I believe you need to fax them a copy of your license after you place your order (haven't done it in a while), but you can schedule your delivery time for whenever. No need to be there for it.

I know that Jet Blue limits the amount of alcohol you may bring in your checked luggage. Anyone over the age of 21 may bring up to 5 liters of alcohol per person. The alcohol must not exceed 140 proof, I can't imagine drinking something that strong WOW! It must also be packed in a sealable bottle or a flask. Hope this helps.:)

Go to a wine or liquor store at home and you can get travel bags for full size bottles that help in the suitcase. The cost of one of those plus the price of the alcohol will still be cheaper than Disney alcohol prices!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter