• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hold on Credit Card upon check-in?

DrewAlmighty

Mouseketeer
I have a quick question..

When checking in at one of the Universal on-site hotels... do they put a "hold" on your card? Like a deposit? Here's my situation..

Booked through the Universal Orlando vacation site, staying at Hard Rock..

Paid in full..

Don't plan on charging anything to the room and will more than likely decline the mini bar key.

Does the hotel make you do this anyway? Would really screw me up financially if they do..

As long as you pay your parking at check in and Dont want charging privledges they won't put a hold on your card.

As long as you pay your parking at check in and Dont want charging privledges they won't put a hold on your card.

We're flying in... cab to the hotel. No car for us. Hopefully that's the case. I've seen older posts elsewhere suggesting as much as $100/night hold on a card.

DrewAlmighty said:
We're flying in... cab to the hotel. No car for us. Hopefully that's the case. I've seen older posts elsewhere suggesting as much as $100/night hold on a card.

I was just there labor day weekend and going back Wednesday. Since everything is paid in full and I didn't want mini bar key they didn't even ask for my card.

DrewAlmighty said:
Excellent. Thanks so much for your help. Going in a week and unbelievably excited.

I'm counting the days 4 days and only 2 of them are work days lol. I'm staying at portofino and so excited its the only one I've never stayed at

i got back wednesday night from staying onsite.

if you want charging to the hotel, you are allowed $100 per day of charges.
if you stay onsite for 10 nights, you are allowed $1000 a day.

you can pay this off the night before you check out, no holds on your cc.

your card shouldn't have any holds on it if you put your cc down when you check in.

at least, it didn't for me.

you can decline the mini bar key and charge back to the hotel for when you are in the parks/city walk.
don't give them a cc to put in your file.

many decline the charge back.

Good to hear mac, thank you.

i'm happy to share what i experienced about the cc holds and charging.

i did give my cc number as i have the loews hotel perk for food and beverage.
in order to use the food credit at the hotel, i had to put a cc in my file when i checked in.

since i didn't want Mr Mac to see how much i used the cc, i would go to the lobby desk and give them cash to put on my account.

i did some heavy shopping in the parks and knew Mr Mac would have a fit if he saw the damage..........i stayed for 10 nights.

the charges i made back to my hotel room, never went on my cc.
every 3 nights, before midnight, i would give the TM cash to apply to my account.

as long as i did before the night before check out, nothing went on my cc.

no holds were put on my cc at all.

i have read on some threads that was not the case for some people.
they posted that they did have holds on their cc.

i have no idea why that happened.
all i know is i have not experienced that on my last stay or previous stays.

i have been reading some past threads where many have stated they decline listing a cc when they check in and it is honored.

I have never given them my credit card number at check in. I just pay cash for parking and tell them I don't won't to allow charging back to the room. No big deal.

i got back wednesday night from staying onsite.

if you want charging to the hotel, you are allowed $100 per day of charges.
if you stay onsite for 10 nights, you are allowed $1000 a day.

you can pay this off the night before you check out, no holds on your cc.

your card shouldn't have any holds on it if you put your cc down when you check in.

at least, it didn't for me.

We left on the 13th and dealt with a hold the whole time.

Op we DID put a cc on file because we had to pay the balance and parking AND we wanted charging privileges. Balance and parking were over 500 which was expected. The extra 400 was not. I think the Loews person and I got to talking at checkin and he assumed I knew/remembered from past stays. I was playing a bit too close to the limit with our lower limit card, had just checked out of wdw (where we had a balance and room charges) and other charges as well, and it was annoying.

At the end of the stay the hold turned into a charge of the exact amount.

If you don't want charging and it's all paid in full, they won't make you put a cc down. No hold to worry about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter