Holiday Favorites?

SonjaB

<font color=teal>Mrs. SonjaB, if you please, who i
The holidays are FAST approaching and I was just curious as to what your favorite holiday treats are. Snacks, homemade candies, confections, holiday suppers, leftovers ideas, etc. :) What do YOU most looking forward to making/eating for the holidays?

I love the stuffed oysters my MIL used to make. Since I am the only one that would eat them in my family & she no longer cooks holiday meals, I will probably never have them again.

Being out of work is going to limit gifts for the adults in the family, so I thought we'd do a bunch of baking this year:
various versions of Chex Mix
Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Filled Cookies
Snickerdoodles
Monster Cookies - big things you cut with a glass!!
Peanut Butter Balls
Mini Fruit Cake Bon-bons
Toll House
Chocolate Dipped stuff like pretzels, apricots . . .
. . . . and we'll see from there. mssocks is going to be spending an awful lot of Saturdays over here!!

What I am most looking forward to, however, is Christmas Day. We're planning a Disney brunch. . .
Crystal Palace Breakfast Lasagna
Cindy's Au Gratin Potatoes & Cheese French Toast
Boma's Banana Bread Pudding & Frunch
Park Fare's Strawberry Soup
Haven't decided what to have for the lunch portion - we're due at my other sister's for turkey dinner. It sounds so boring to me now . . .
I had been thinking about Boma's flank steak & nut crusted fish, with Fufu & Potatoes with Afritude. That, however, is enough food for a couple of days . . . .

beccab - If you're having the meals now, maybe you could just ask MIL to bring the oysters as her contribution? Or just buy a 1/2 pint of oysters & make them for yourself! Or, if you get along with MIL, you could invite her for a "lady's lunch" one day close to the holidays & serve them.

We always have oyster filling/stuffing (also called scalloped oysters) but I've never heard of stuffed oysters. Would you share the recipe? Sounds good!

d

Piratesmate...what a wonderful idea!!! I never even thought of a Disney brunch before, but I definitely have to look into that!! I have to start planning a menu for Christmas Brunch, but Le Cellier Cheddar Cheese Soup will definitely be on that menu! :) Thanks for the idea!!

Piratesmate, I think you are probably right about it being oyster stuffing & not stuffed oysters but she didnt cook it in the turkey. I do get along with MIL, she is a wonderful person, however she has dementia now & getting the recipe is probably not going to happen. We don't have the big family dinners like we used to.

beccab - I'm so sorry about your MIL.

We never put the oyster filling in the turkey (I think I want to say "Eeeuuuwww!!! now) - that's just what my great-great aunt & grandmother always called it. I've never made it with a recipe myself - just sort of throw the stuff together. The key ingredients (IMHO) are the oyster liquor, pepper & OTC crackers. I often buy extra liquor (the juice) because I don't really like it with a bunch of oysters - unless they're small. I hate it when they squish!

Anyway, grease/spray the casserole dish.
Crush the crackers - you could use saltines, the small oysterette crackers, or the big OTC ones.
Lay 1/3 of the cracker crumbs in the dish.
Add 1/2 of the oysters, drained. Dot with butter & sprinkle with black pepper.
Add 1/3 cracker crumbs, then remaining oysters, more butter & pepper.
Finish with remaining cracker crumbs. Pour oyster liquor evenly over top of casserole. Add enough milk to cover the crackers. (They will soak up the excess.)
Bake 1 hour at 350.

Do NOT pour the milk over the crackers until just prior to baking. It may curdle. I think my older sister makes hers in the microwave & then just puts it in the oven after the turkey comes out to brown it. I'll check with her later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter