Holiday main dishes

ms.yt

DIS Veteran
I saw an article online today that prime rib was the most popular Christmas main dish. What is the most popular item in your region?

Here in my part of the South, most folks I know have turkey and ham as their main Christmas meats. I've occasionally made a pork loin or something for our family potluck meal, but the ham and turkey is always there, too. Very rarely have I ever seen any type of beef roast at our holiday meals, but maybe other people around here do. From talking to my co-workers and friends throughout the years, however, it seems that turkey and ham are still the most frequently served.

Also from the deep south.

Usually, turkey or ham similar to Thanksgiving. But this year at one celebration we had roast beef and 2 others we had seafood or chicken gumbo.

Never prime rib.

My inlaws are Italian so Christmas Eve is the 7 fishes always. Christmas is a buffet with ham, chicken parm, eggplant parm, chicken marsala, rice, pasta, salad.

We have turkey at Thanksgiving, and usually Easter. Beef is what we eat for Christmas. Sometimes prime rib, sometimes a roast of some sort. Montana is cattle country. ;) We, as a family, very rarely eat ham; but if we do, we eat it instead of turkey at Easter.

In my family, we always had pasta for Christmas Eve (Italian, but not many of us like fish so it was usually something like homemade ravioli) and standing rib roast for Christmas dinner. I have no idea if it is a regional thing or not because we moved around a lot (military family) Mom was from CA, dad was from FL and they both said this is what they did as kids, so we kept it as our family tradition. I've carried on this tradition in my own family.

We have always had Beef Wellington, but now with two celiac guests have changed to beef tenderloin.

I"m from East Texas, which is as much Southern as Texan and we have ham for Christmas. Turkey would be a second choice. I have never known anyone to have prime rib at Christmas.

I"m from East Texas, which is as much Southern as Texan and we have ham for Christmas. Turkey would be a second choice. I have never known anyone to have prime rib at Christmas.

We'll take any excuse to eat good, quality beef!! Our Senator Jon Tester takes beef from his ranch to DC with him when he travels. :thumbsup2

Prime rib is somewhat popular for Christmas, but it seems to be a bigger deal on New Year's Day in these parts. Turkey or ham is the most popular for Christmas Day.

Jim

We usually serve more than one meat on Christmas or Christmas Eve, and prime rib is usually one of them, (although we didn't have it this year.)

Honestly, I always thought the main reason turkey is served at family gatherings, (other than it being a tradition for Thanksgiving) was because of it being cost effective and a good value for a large group of people.
(Hope that doesn't make me seem :snooty:, but cost is a definite consideration when hosting a crowd.)

We have -
Thanksgiving - Turkey.
Easter - Ham or Turkey (My mother and grandmothers always served ham for Easter but my own family prefers turkey.)
Christmas - Prime Rib and Baked Scrod, plus a pasta served as a main dish choice. (This year, we had chicken parmesan instead of the beef.)

Usually for Christmas, My Family makes Baked Ziti, this year, it was with Chicken Nuggets mixed in it was Phenomenal!

We were invited to 3 houses for the holiday. Each house had tamales-lol! Yes, we are me mexican. One household the wife is mexican but more american (doesnt know spanish) and her husband is white( I think he knows more spanish than his wife-lol). One home had tamales and a ham

We always have Prime Rib here for Christmas.
No one I know is ready to eat turkey again so soon!

My family started with the Prime Rib for Christmas when I was in my 20s (I am pushing 50 now!!).

I think my mom got so sick of having a "repeat of Thanksgiving" as she called it, that she decided to change it up. We really enjoy it. Sometimes we will have beef tenderloin instead. We are all from the DC area; however, initially from New England.

In Barbados we don't have Thanksgiving, so turkey is for Christmas! Also baked ham. For side dishes you will almost always see a spicy baked mac and cheese, sweet potato pie (the white kind, not the orange kind), jug jug (a dish made with field peas), corn pie (a baked dish using cream style corn), garlic bread. It's usually a big pot luck buffet with 3 or 4 meats, 6 - 8 starches, a couple of salads and veg dishes, and maybe 4 or 5 desserts. It is impossible not to overeat!

Growing up (NJ) it was ham and what my grandfather would call "Ukrainian soul food" - kielbasa and sauerkraut, pierogis, etc. Generally, I've done that, too.

This year, we did have prime rib (we're in Illinois) -- It's very easy, and was very, very good.

Thanksgiving--turkey

Christmas--Kung Pao chicken (for me); Lemon chicken (DS) and whatever DH is in the mood for.

New Years---ham

Easter--ham

Fourth of July-- BBQ

I think that's all the major food holidays!

We always have standing rib roast. I fix it and I hate beef. I'd much rather have turkey or seafood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter