• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Holiday vs Summer

theworldneedscolor

DIS Veteran
We are planning on going to Disney World for my high school graduation summer of 2014. But I would love to see WDW at Christmas. There's a slight possibility of changing our dates, since they are far from being set. For summer, we would be going in June or July, and for the holiday season, it would probably have to be during Christmas break or right before it.

Would you recommend the holiday season or the summer season, and why?

I vote holiday, because while both will be crowded, summer will be crowded AND hot. The weather is generally beautiful in December, and the decorations certainly are.

We are planning on going to Disney World for my high school graduation summer of 2014. But I would love to see WDW at Christmas. There's a slight possibility of changing our dates, since they are far from being set. For summer, we would be going in June or July, and for the holiday season, it would probably have to be during Christmas break or right before it.

Would you recommend the holiday season or the summer season, and why?

OP, if you can go the week before Christmas, I would do the holiday season. If you can only go during the week between Christmas and New Years, I would go during the summer. The week between Christmas and New Years is one of the busiest weeks of the year (along with Easter week), with parks being closed due to capacity.

We have gone in August, March (Spring Break) & will be going in November 2013 (so far away!). We will be leaving the week prior to Thanksgiving and up to that day. I expect it to get busier by the day while we are there. Will do the big ticket stuff first hopefully.

Heat~ I honestly didn't note a big difference between March & August as far as heat. Both were hotter than hell (or so it felt like). It sucked but it was doable and we found ways to cool--mid day at the pool which also works out because mid day is the busiest time at the parks. Also, Mickey popiscles and the spray water things are nice. We survived August, its doable.

Crowds~ weren't bad in August but they are worse during July & June. I hear they are worse during the Holidays esp the week of TG & Xmas. We did do days in March where they reach capacity in the parks, but when you plan it right...ie, get to the parks early and do as much as you can then...you fair better.

Since we have done other season, WE were DYING to see it decorated for Xmas which is why we are going when we are next. In short, I think its personal preference.

If you would love to do Christmas season, then that's what I'd do! If you go the week between Christmas and New Year's then it will be mobbed. We did that three years in a row - but still had a blast. That was even before I knew about park planning but just some good 'ole common sense made us able to enjoy it. If you're familiar with the rides and what gets busy when, you'll be able to plan quite well.

We were there the last week of May/start of June one year and the heat was awful. It wasn't that it was 100 degrees or anything. But even upper 80's and low 90's and suck the energy out of you with the humidity. We live in the southeast, in a place that gets hotter than Disney, but we had trouble handling the heat. If you're willing to take mid-day breaks, then it can work for you. (I have young kids who don't nap, so we would rather leave in the evening instead). The start of June isn't all that crowded. The schools a couple miles from me get out anywhere from mid-May to end-May. But my state is the start of June. The northeast is often the end of June. So, it will get more crowded the later in June you get - and the chance for more uncomforably hot days increase was well. June is MUCH better than July as far as heat/humidy.

If it comes down to heat vs crowds, I would pick crowds. I know how to work around crowds. But I can't make the heat go away enough!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter