Holidays with family this year

We will do the family dinners. Will be small gatherings. But we'll do them. Our parents are getting older and have had some health issues (one battling cancer) so we don't know how many Thanksgivings and Christmases we'll have left with them. Hate to regret having missed being with them on their last Thanksgiving or Christmas. We will just self quarantine for 2 weeks beforehand. And if any of us have signs of illness we will stay away. If they don't want to do it, we won't. But they probably will.

It will just be my kids and husband for Thanksgiving/Christmas. :)

We won’t see any extended family. Mostly because my kids are back at school and nobody wants to see us. Totally understandable.

For Christmas we will quarantine for 2 weeks prior (DDs school finishes before Thanksgiving), my husband will likely have to go into work a bit but they have a mandatory mask rule and he sits in an office by himself. He will do a COViD test at the end, he gets weekly tests for work anyway. We will go to my parents (they are 75+) who live local and will isolate as well. We have already decided that we will not go to my SIL on Christmas Day as we usually do because we don’t trust them...they are running around all over the place. I’m sure my SIL will be angry with us

Our extended family is lax about covid safety. A couple of them believe it's a hoax :(. They get together often, do potlucks indoors, sit right next to each other and no one wears masks. They only wear masks when required by a business and only after being asked. No one has been diagnosed with covid yet, which amazes me.

I want to make an effort to see everyone at least occasionally; otherwise we'd be the only ones in the entire family not showing up and it upsets DH's elderly parents (who are also there and don't wear masks!).

But I can just feel the eyerolls when we wear masks...it feels very awkward and uncomfortable. Plus, the masks don't really protect us from others.

They're doing TGiving and Xmas as always...not sure what we're going to do yet.

We host Thanksgiving,and I'm thinking we won't this year.That's fine with us-my daughter has a few friends that she invited and that would make five of us.Christmas I don't think will happen either,which is REALLY attractive to me because I have had to go somewhere every year of my life.To stay home,and be comfortable all day and dig into Indian food would be gift enough to us!

It’ll be Zoom/FaceTime and a “see you all in 2021!” for us...lots of high risk folks in my family, I don’t want to be “that person” that lands them in the hospital. It sucks =/

I don’t know what we are good to do. Both sides are kind of lax with social distancing and masks and we live in Illinois, so cant do outside. It would be easy to just say we aren’t comfortable BUT we are planning on going to Florida for 3 weeks in October/November. (But we will wear our masks anytime we leave the condo, social distance, won’t eat in restaurants, etc.) We feel that is actually safer than gathering indoors with no masks with our family, but I am not sure they will see it that way.

We’ve had family events for months. Don’t expect any changes for the Holidays.

Our extended family is lax about covid safety. A couple of them believe it's a hoax :(. They get together often, do potlucks indoors, sit right next to each other and no one wears masks. They only wear masks when required by a business and only after being asked. No one has been diagnosed with covid yet, which amazes me.

I want to make an effort to see everyone at least occasionally; otherwise we'd be the only ones in the entire family not showing up and it upsets DH's elderly parents (who are also there and don't wear masks!).

But I can just feel the eyerolls when we wear masks...it feels very awkward and uncomfortable. Plus, the masks don't really protect us from others.

They're doing TGiving and Xmas as always...not sure what we're going to do yet.
No way I’d be spending holidays with these people right now.

For Christmas we will quarantine for 2 weeks prior (DDs school finishes before Thanksgiving), my husband will likely have to go into work a bit but they have a mandatory mask rule and he sits in an office by himself. He will do a COViD test at the end, he gets weekly tests for work anyway. We will go to my parents (they are 75+) who live local and will isolate as well. We have already decided that we will not go to my SIL on Christmas Day as we usually do because we don’t trust them...they are running around all over the place. I’m sure my SIL will be angry with us

I am wondering the same if our Extended families will be angry with us for not getting together.

We've been isolating for almost the entire year, still doing it. Holidays (just dates on a calendar, when you think about it) won't change that.

I am wondering the same if our Extended families will be angry with us for not getting together.
Yes, one year my SIL got really upset when we suggested getting together Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day because it wasn’t Christmas Day...I am sure she will go ballistic on us over this

We haven’t even discussed it yet. The bulk of my family is in NY and there is a good chance my state will get put back on their quarantine list. At this point I won’t make any decision yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter