Holland America-MS Zaandam cruise still in progress

The healthy people will be disembarked and brought by private bus directly to charter planes. 10 critically ill people have been secured beds in a hospital. Everyone else who is in some stage of recovery will remain on board until they are cleared to travel.

And now the Coral Princess which has people with flu like symptoms is headed this way but the Coast Guard wants them to go to the Bahamas for aid since that is where the ship is registered
The Coral Princess is registered in Bermuda, not Bahamas.

UPDATE

Some people came down with a fever now they all have to be quarantined in their cabins. I will keep you inform if I hear anymore.

UPDATE coral princess

My cousin is on the cruise. My mom just heard from my cousin she said they will disembark in Miami. Could take 2 days to disembark. First the sick ones will disembark. Than they will get the dead ones off. I didn’t know they had anyone who died on that cruise.

Were the 5th largest city in the US. I work at several hospitals in the metro area. I have a pretty good idea of what's going on. I have a network of travel friends in different states. I'm just giving you a report on what I'm seeing with my own eyes. I know exactly how hospitals are handling COVID patients because I actually live it. I knew as soon as typed that someone was going to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about. Very typical of these boards and god forbid if you're actually optimistic.

Our midwestern‘big city’ hospital is empty too. Right now they are furloughing nurses and support staff. So not only do we worry about a surge and putting ourselves and our families at risk but we worry about paying the bills bc until/unless a surge happens we aren’t getting paid......nice wY to treat those one the front lines’

Our midwestern‘big city’ hospital is empty too. Right now they are furloughing nurses and support staff. So not only do we worry about a surge and putting ourselves and our families at risk but we worry about paying the bills bc until/unless a surge happens we aren’t getting paid......nice wY to treat those one the front lines’

I think this is why Governor Cuomo is calling for a coordinated effort to move supplies (ventilators and PPE) and personnel to where they are needed as it is needed. It's clear there is not enough to go around for everyone to have enough for peak need all at once but not everyone is going to peak at the same time.

If we only had some kind of entity... a federation of sorts... to coordinate these efforts between states.

42, 500 healthcare worker laid off is the stats I saw. If this is seasonal like they say things should be back to normal in a couple months. Next winter might be hell though.

I think this is why Governor Cuomo is calling for a coordinated effort to move supplies (ventilators and PPE) and personnel to where they are needed as it is needed. It's clear there is not enough to go around for everyone to have enough for peak need all at once but not everyone is going to peak at the same time.

If we only had some kind of entity... a federation of sorts... to coordinate these efforts between states.
I’m not sure hospitals are going to want to give up ventilators they paid for.

Here in Florida our ICU's are nearing 2/3rds capacity and will reach capacity within the next 1 to 2 weeks. Some of those furloughed workers would be welcomed here

I disagree with sending personnel across state lines to help as that will spread the disease further as they travel back home.

I disagree with sending personnel across state lines to help as that will spread the disease further as they travel back home.

The idea behind stay at home orders is not to restrict critical movements. This same logic would shut down interstate transfer of things like bananas, toilet paper, and Amazon Prime. Because people have to drive the trucks, run the gas stations, etc. etc.

You don't need to send personnel (and ventilators) across state lines, you can send patients (the ones which are still/again capable of travel). It happens in Europe, Germany has taken patients from Italy, France and The Netherlands and inside The Netherlands patients are also transported across the country. The military is responsible for the logistics of it.

You don't need to send personnel (and ventilators) across state lines, you can send patients (the ones which are still/again capable of travel). It happens in Europe, Germany has taken patients from Italy, France and The Netherlands and inside The Netherlands patients are also transported across the country. The military is responsible for the logistics of it.

Just curious, are they transporting COVID-19 patients? Or non COVID-19 patients to lessen burden on strained facilities?

LAX

Just curious, are they transporting COVID-19 patients? Or non COVID-19 patients to lessen burden on strained facilities?

LAX
with so many places under lockdown there are not many non COVID patients. They have seen a HUGE drop in anything but COVID - the 2500 beds at the Javits center were SUPPOSED to be for non-COVID only to make room for COVID in the regular hospitals, but there are almost no critical non-COVID people in the entire city, they don't even have enough to fill the USS Comfort - so the government has agreed to turn it into a COVID facility instead.

They don't want to make the USS Comfort into a COVID facility because they said it is much harder to sanitize a ship. Which says something about cruises :-/

In NY they are transferring people from downstate to upstate, probably by people who are critical enough to be able to transport.

The fact is no one state has enough resources for a surge but if we pooled together on a national level we could fight surges on more than one front at once and move resources as needed. I am not pretending this is a remotely trivial thing logistically or even legally however this is kind of the point of having a federation of states like we supposedly have. It is ridiculous that there are places that are putting people out of work while others are having healthcare workers break down from working too much. We should be able to even out the load in some manner, like we do when there is a natural disaster and all of the utilities from non affected areas pitch in to get affected areas up and running.

Last edited:
with so many places under lockdown there are not many non COVID patients. They have seen a HUGE drop in anything but COVID - the 2500 beds at the Javits center were SUPPOSED to be for non-COVID only to make room for COVID in the regular hospitals, but there are almost no critical non-COVID people in the entire city, they don't even have enough to fill the USS Comfort - so the government has agreed to turn it into a COVID facility instead.

They don't want to make the USS Comfort into a COVID facility because they said it is much harder to sanitize a ship. Which says something about cruises :-/

Maybe people really should rethink their plans about cruising in the near future. But, there are always those that feel like the spring break crowds before the government clamped down by closing the beaches. That's why I have said in other threads that we can't always count on other people/businesses doing the right things without government intervention.

LAX

I’m not sure hospitals are going to want to give up ventilators they paid for.
he has said he will either return them or pay for new ones. Right now he is redirecting 20% of any "surplus" ventilators (20% of ventilators not being used) which will result in 500 additional ventilators from upstate hospitals to downstate with a promise to return them or pay for new ones and redirect what they took and then some upstate if they end up hit with a surge. Of course there is a chance the timing won't all work out and I don't think he is saying it's a perfect solution but what else are you going to do when your need is so much greater than what you have? The surge in NYC WILL happen and soon.

I'm sure too hospitals won't want to give them up. But he's sending the national guard to go get them.

They've also received offers from 85,000 volunteers but that, too, is a logistical issue of checking credentials and getting people assigned (and hired, they are volunteering to help but I believe they will be paid.)

Last edited:
he has said he will either return them or pay for new ones. Right now he is redirecting 20% of any "surplus" ventilators (20% of ventilators not being used) which will result in 500 additional ventilators from upstate hospitals to downstate with a promise to return them or pay for new ones and redirect what they took and then some upstate if they end up hit with a surge. Of course there is a chance the timing won't all work out and I don't think he is saying it's a perfect solution but what else are you going to do when your need is so much greater than what you have? The surge in NYC WILL happen and soon.

I'm sure too hospitals won't want to give them up. But he's sending the national guard to go get them.

They've also received offers from 85,000 volunteers but that, too, is a logistical issue of checking credentials and getting people assigned (and hired, they are volunteering to help but I believe they will be paid.)
Who is he? Where did you hear about the national guard doing this? A Governor from one state can take ventilators from another through force. Or is this mandated on the federal level. I’m confused?

Here in Florida our ICU's are nearing 2/3rds capacity and will reach capacity within the next 1 to 2 weeks. Some of those furloughed workers would be welcomed here
It’s hard to pick up and leave your family especially when kids are out of school. Our ICUs are normally at 100%capacity during flu season. Your State has to be used to huge surges in the Winter time. Do you guys not have the staff?

Who is he? Where did you hear about the national guard doing this? A Governor from one state can take ventilators from another through force. Or is this mandated on the federal level. I’m confused?
Sorry thought you knew I was talking about NY - Cuomo in state only but has gotten donations from Oregon too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter