Hollywood Studios… Rope Drop RoR or Slinky?

What to RD with EMH

• Total voters
We have never experienced that at any park on any vacation. I hope that was a one off thing and it was corrected.
Yeah, I agree and it makes it difficult for me to suggest getting there right before close. Probably works the vast majority of time historically. On our trip last summer we visited HS twice and planned ROTR right before park close. The first time it worked. We got in line 25 minutes prior and had a 40 minute wait. The second time we got screwed, even though there were 12 minutes to park closing. If I visited everyday I wouldn't be so gun-shy, but time at WDW is precious and I don't want to risk missing ROTR if getting there 20 minutes earlier would have fixed it (which it would have our second time)

We have never experienced that at any park on any vacation. I hope that was a one off thing and it was corrected.
If the CM did it on their own without being directed, hopefully Disney alleviated them of ever having to worry about going home from work at Disney at a decent hour again - by terminating their employment.

Genie Slinky, RD Rise. Unless you get really lucky, the Slinky G+ will be outside the 2-hour window. That gives you plenty of time to Standby Rise. We found you will have no trouble stacking and getting G+ for everything else, and you are far more likely to get an early G+ for those rides that might interfere with your RD wait for Rise.

Out of 4 rope drops this September, RotR was up every time and Slicky was down twice. I know it's not a wide enough statistic, might just be bad luck, but that's my experience.
I think since they've given up on some effects, RotR is a bit more reliable.

Do you have early entry? If not, both RotR and Slicky will have a very long line already when it opens for the general public.
We were there last week, having NO clue that schools were out for holiday. On Friday we hit HS with Early Entry. Went for RotR. Got through within the first 30 minutes or so. Then headed directly to Slinky. By then, the wait was 90 minutes. From my observation, Slinky only holds a few riders at a time. Disney needs to step it up and add more cars to that one dog, or breed Slinky so there can be some Slinky pups on the track at the same time.
The cast at RotR seemed bored out of their gourds first thing in the morning. I was thinking how much better I could do with one of those roles. After all, I have the voice of The WWOTW down. I could make grown men jump with my delivery.
So, on the return trip in March, it’s going to be Slinky for me. I don’t care if it’s down first thing, I’ll wait until it’s back up.

We were there last week, having NO clue that schools were out for holiday. On Friday we hit HS with Early Entry. Went for RotR. Got through within the first 30 minutes or so. Then headed directly to Slinky. By then, the wait was 90 minutes. From my observation, Slinky only holds a few riders at a time. Disney needs to step it up and add more cars to that one dog, or breed Slinky so there can be some Slinky pups on the track at the same time.
The cast at RotR seemed bored out of their gourds first thing in the morning. I was thinking how much better I could do with one of those roles. After all, I have the voice of The WWOTW down. I could make grown men jump with my delivery.
So, on the return trip in March, it’s going to be Slinky for me. I don’t care if it’s down first thing, I’ll wait until it’s back up.
SDD can accommodate up to 4 trains of cars on the track at the same time. Not sure how many they were running when you were there. It is a very popular attraction and unfortunately 90 mins waits are fairly common. We were there in late Aug when many waits were 15 mins or less but SDD was still 45 mins. It's the challenge with all 'popular' rides that they just cannot meet the demand and when they're popular, the demand is always there. SDMT in the MK is the same way. Long lines regardless of when you go as the attraction is one guests choose to re-ride when the line gets shorter.

SDD can accommodate up to 4 trains of cars on the track at the same time. Not sure how many they were running when you were there. It is a very popular attraction and unfortunately 90 mins waits are fairly common. We were there in late Aug when many waits were 15 mins or less but SDD was still 45 mins. It's the challenge with all 'popular' rides that they just cannot meet the demand and when they're popular, the demand is always there. SDMT in the MK is the same way. Long lines regardless of when you go as the attraction is one guests choose to re-ride when the line gets shorter.
We had early entry at MK on one day. We headed directly for rope drop for SDMT. We were on that ride within 30 minutes. We mastered the FP years ago when THAT was the only system in use. We just did a quick trip with Tuesday a half day after driving down early am. Spent that day in Epcot. We were able to do TT, MtM, Planet Earth or whatever it’s now called, the DVC lounge, Soarin’, Moana Water Walk, and the charming movie in France. We managed all that, with taking a break back in our room for a late lunch & a nap. We headed back after dinner and left right before the park closed. Did it ALL, along with a couple snacks & shops….NO Genie, NO Genie+. Don’t be sucked in by the Disney upcharging……

Next day was the MKP. We get up very early and make sure we are at the front for rope drop. Headed to SDMT and rode within about 30 minutes. Then we just jumped on ANYTHING we passed that had less than a 30 minute wait. If the wait is 10 minutes, just do it. Don’t bother with all the app crap and booking this and the other and paying extra after you’ve just spent $10k+ on your WDW vacation. Disney needs to eliminate this elitist attitude where they expect you to pay up charges if you even WANT to go on a ride. Only ride that was a failure? TRON. My BIL had a rez to ride and after standing in line for over an hour, they announced that it was broken down again. I believe a lie so that they could accommodate those with Genie+.
Oh well, we will be back in the Spring for a nice stay at Grand Floridian with lake view DVC. I’m going to hang in the room and do some spa and water park time and avoid going to parks every single day♥️

Due to the fact that many will prefer the closer option, being RR, I would choose Slinky. We’re fast walkers and would get there quick.

I only choose the above for the poll - I would actually choose neither - we would rope drop ToT, just because we love it so much.

Heading on Monday to HS. Back and forth which to RD. I’ll be buying Genie but not ILL for Rise.

Heading on Monday to HS. Back and forth which to RD. I’ll be buying Genie but not ILL for Rise.
We absolutely love Rise and Slinky at night. Love the late night ambience in Galaxy's Edge and the colorful PM lighting in Toy Story land. So we use Genie for Toy Story, and ILL for Rise, but after dark. That means we are rope dropping Tower, Rocking Roller Coaster, and/or Micky & Minnie.

Bonus... Get a late Rise ILL and then an ADR at Oga's after the park closes. By the time we leave Oga's there is almost no on in the park. Absolutely love seeing the park that way. NO hurry to exit... just soaking it all in.

If you are there for rope drop, do ROR and genie plus Slinky Dog at 7am if you are doing genie plus. I have heard of people doing ROR and then Slinky Dog but I do not know how viable that is. I actually went to the park yesterday and did not get to the park at noon and with stacking managed to ride all the major rides there before closing. but I did have to spring for the ILL for ROR. I did not thank Hollywood Studios was all that bad. AK and MK (especially) were mad houses on Sunday and Mondy respectively. Worst crowds I have ever seen at either park.

We are going to purchase an ILL for RotR just based on the downtime that it experiences alone. It is a must do for my husband and we have just one day at HS.

We absolutely love Rise and Slinky at night. Love the late night ambience in Galaxy's Edge and the colorful PM lighting in Toy Story land. So we use Genie for Toy Story, and ILL for Rise, but after dark. That means we are rope dropping Tower, Rocking Roller Coaster, and/or Micky & Minnie.

Bonus... Get a late Rise ILL and then an ADR at Oga's after the park closes. By the time we leave Oga's there is almost no on in the park. Absolutely love seeing the park that way. NO hurry to exit... just soaking it all in.
Love this comment. The feeling of the parks at night, darkened skies, with park lights on, is really something special. Sorry, this doesn’t really have to do anything with the OP’s original question😂😂, but just stating how much we love the feeling of the parks at night.

How long would it be to get on Slinky if we lined up around 30 minutes before early entry for Slinky? I'm going to be doing early entry to Hollywood Studios this week. Last time I used this time for getting Tower of Terror and Rock and Roll out of the way with little lines early because we didn't get a Genie+ for Slinky until 11:30am (and paid for ROTR). This was frustrating waiting for the cool down to be able to get another Genie+. Does everyone prefer using the early entry time for slinky rather than TOT/RNRR?

If you have never rode ROR and you aren't buying ILL, I would take the gamble and go for it. You can always pivot to smugglers.

That being said I'm a neither gal. We book genie for SDD, pay for ILL for rise and then head to MMRR or tower. We zag while others Zig...

We're definitely buying ROR! That's the most mind blowing ride I've ever been on so hope to have that one covered at least! Just trying to get a feel for if I'd get on something like Slinky within 30 minutes of the Early Entry open or if time is better spent somewhere else. It's the only park where I stress about genie+ since there are so many longer wait rides.

We're definitely buying ROR! That's the most mind blowing ride I've ever been on so hope to have that one covered at least! Just trying to get a feel for if I'd get on something like Slinky within 30 minutes of the Early Entry open or if time is better spent somewhere else. It's the only park where I stress about genie+ since there are so many longer wait rides.
Going to SDD during early entry is a solid strategy if you can be towards the front of the group. We've done it a few times successfully and the go straight to TSMM.

last week, with early entry, half my party rope dropped ToT then rockin roller, and other half MMRR then TSM, and we managed to get to rise before 9am and only had a ~20 minute wait.

How long would it be to get on Slinky if we lined up around 30 minutes before early entry for Slinky? I'm going to be doing early entry to Hollywood Studios this week. Last time I used this time for getting Tower of Terror and Rock and Roll out of the way with little lines early because we didn't get a Genie+ for Slinky until 11:30am (and paid for ROTR). This was frustrating waiting for the cool down to be able to get another Genie+. Does everyone prefer using the early entry time for slinky rather than TOT/RNRR?
You would be boarded on Slinky at 8:40, done at 8:43, and on the line for the Millennium Falcon by 8:50. Buy an ILL for ROTR for 10:00 and you’ll have time for the other rides and then back to the hotel for lunch by 1 PM. That’s what we did last last Thursday.

You would be boarded on Slinky at 8:40, done at 8:43, and on the line for the Millennium Falcon by 8:50. Buy an ILL for ROTR for 10:00 and you’ll have time for the other rides and then back to the hotel for lunch by 1 PM. That’s what we did last last Thursday.
Thank you! This is exactly the info I was looking for! This definitely eases my anxiety

We bought Genie+ for the 2 days we went to HS and rope dropped ROR twice. At 7am we booked slinky, if you can get it odds are it will be late morning or afternoon (i can't believe how fast the ride books up), so you'll have plenty of time to ride ror and head over to slinky. It worked for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter