Hollywood Studios Dinner

Ashwen730

Earning My Ears
We will be in Disney World for Thanksgiving week this year. There will be four adults, one teenager, and a 4 year old and we will be on the deluxe dining plan. I can't decide where I want to have dinner on our Hollywood Studios day. We did not get park hoppers and I want to try to stay in or around the park so we can see Fantasmic. We are doing several character meals, but would be up for Minnie's Seasonal Dine too. I have been to 50s PT before and love it! Can't decide if we want to do one of those or something else. Tell me pros and cons of Hollywood Studios table service restaurants.

I can't help you much, but I am looking forward to trying Hollywood Brown Derby. My niece has eaten there and said it was really good.

I've been to 50s Prime Time and have also loved it, but I have experienced most of the TS at HS. We've also really enjoyed Sci-Fi Dine In, BUT with you're party size you may get one of the free standing tables vs. the cars, which kind of takes away the appeal, IMO. The food has been tasty each time we have gone there but I favor 50s Prime Time for their menu selections and favor.

At Hollywood Brown Derby, I feel like I have always gotten the best quality of food that was excellently prepared out of all the HS choices. It is on the higher side so only you will be able to decide if it's worth the value for you.

50's Prime Time is always solid, but take a look at the Hollywood Brown Derby menu...if the offerings and price are acceptable to you, I think it's the best dining option at DHS.

Brown Derby is best food, hands down, but pricey. We’ll do it as a splurge once in a while. Sci Fi is fun... good for burgers and sandwiches, not good for conversation. Mama Melrose is okay in terms of food and value. Not a fan of 50s Prime Time or Hollywood and Vine... did not like the food. We usually eat at Cape May Cafe on our HS day. It is a short boat ride away. Yummy seafood buffet, but not the most convenient if you’re returning to the park. Have a great trip!

After eating in all of the TS in DHS, the only one we will go to now is HBD. Consistently good food and service!

I love the food and presentation @ HB and chose it for our Christmas dinner last year based on our fantastic past experience.
We had uncharacteristically bad service that day that I believe was driven by management's overbooking.Courses were dropped before the previous ones were finished and this was not consistent with the recent past.This was happening to other tables as well.

My solution for the duration of our trip was to politely inform wait staff as soon as we sat down that we preferred their regular level of food service (ie. I'm not interested in the bums' rush) and we had no further problems on that level.
Didn't solve the one night it happened but I was partially infused with the spirit of the season and thus tipped our waiter anyway.

I'm telling this to all who are going during busy holiday times so they know how to counteract and get normal service w/o leaving the proverbial bad taste in mouth.
Would I go back again?
In a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Another vote for the Brown Derby! Second choice would be Mama Melrose's. We save the Sci Fi for milkshake breaks, and the Prime Time for when nothing else is speaking to us but we still want table service :)

You could do Brown Derby and have a wonderful meal or you could leave the park for a break and go over to Yachtsman or Flying Fish. If you went for an early ADR I am sure you could make it back for Fantasmic, but if you don't want to risk it HBD is a great choice!

As most of the above posters have noted most of the restaurants at Hollywood are good but you should avoid Hollywood & Vine. Sci Fi is one of my favorites but I describe it as a CS impersonating a TS. I call it good burgers and great theming. 50's is always a safe call. Mama Melrose might be good for a Fantasmic package for lunch (eat lunch get the priority seating) but the Brown Derby really is the crown jewel of Hollywood Studios Dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter