• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hollywood Studios

dtum

DIS Veteran
Going to Dis after a few years, but we don't ride TOT and RnR. With all the closures going on there is it worth the time even going there?

Yes, this question is asked a TON. I agree with Robo, not a ton has really closed. The entire construction thing is overblown, big time (IMO). But I suppose if it keeps people out and helps keep lines down and FP+ available, who am I to complain. So I suppose my answer to your question is no...it's not worth going. Stay away. ;)

Not much has actually closed at DHS.

I agree with Robo, not a ton has really closed.

Please don't overlook that the OP says that they have not been in "a few years". As I pointed out in the other thread, if you haven't been since 2013, all of the following have closed from your perspective:
  • American Idol Experience
  • Studio Back Lot Tour
  • American Film Institute Museum
  • Legend of Jack Sparrow
  • Animation Academy
  • Lights, Motors, Action
  • Honey I Shrunk The Kids Play Area
  • Great Movie Ride
The question: "What has changed recently" isn't nearly as relevant to a particular guest as is the question: "What has changed since my last visit" for it is only the answer to that second question that can inform the decision as to whether or not the park is worth visiting. If the items I listed above constituted the vast majority of one's "fun factor" at DHS when they last visited, then the loss of all of these things could result in the feeling that there is nothing much to do. Conversely, if the things listed above were merely ancillary to one's "fun factor", then you would come out on the other side of the equation.

To the OP: Frankly, only you can decide if there is fun to be had at DHS. I have listed the things that existed the last time you were there and are no longer there. Do those matter to you? Or can you have at least a half day of fun seeing the Muppets, Indiana Jones, Star Tours, the Frozen Sing-Along, Toy Story Midway Mania and the Beauty and the Beast Show?

If I was paying full price for a 1 day ticket, I would say no.
If you have a hopper, annual pass, or this makes the 5th or 6th day on a multi day ticket with a lower additional cost, then yes.
If you have a Star Wars fan in the group, then definitely yes.

I would just say to focus on what is there rather than what isn't--and I don't mean that in any kind of glass half-full way, but rather look at the list of what is there and decide how much fun there is to be had. If you are just ride people, well it sounds like for you there are really only two. But there are a ton of shows, either two or three (depending on when you go) nighttime spectacles, several character meet & greets and probably three restaurants of which people seem to speak highly.

We're actually going for a morning for the rides and the Star Wars stuff, a longer evening (on a different day) for the shows and Fantasmic and another evening which is really just the dessert party and Jingle Bam. But then again we have park hoppers, are staying within walking distance of DHS and have never seen any of it. Is the Little Mermaid show supposed to be terrible? Yes. Do I still want to see it once, yes. We're even planning on going to Jedi Training despite the fact we don't have any children simply because I think it sounds adorable. We are also staying for a full week and despite certainly not planning to do everything have enough planned that we don't feel like every moment we spend doing something is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Look at what you would do at DHS and look at what you would do with that time if you didn't go--no other real way to decide.

We just went for the first time and were there from our PPO breakfast until after Fantasmic! I couldn't believe it after reading it was a half-day park so many time here. We also don't ride RnR or ToT BUT we went to almost every show. So if you are interested in the shows it is definitely worth a full visit. We also rode TSMM 3 times we loved it so much.

Please don't overlook that the OP says that they have not been in "a few years". As I pointed out in the other thread, if you haven't been since 2013, all of the following have closed from your perspective:
  • Studio Back Lot Tour
  • Legend of Jack Sparrow
  • Animation Academy
  • Lights, Motors, Action
  • Great Movie Ride
The question: "What has changed recently" isn't nearly as relevant to a particular guest as is the question: "What has changed since my last visit" for it is only the answer to that second question that can inform the decision as to whether or not the park is worth visiting. If the items I listed above constituted the vast majority of one's "fun factor" at DHS when they last visited, then the loss of all of these things could result in the feeling that there is nothing much to do. Conversely, if the things listed above were merely ancillary to one's "fun factor", then you would come out on the other side of the equation.

To the OP: Frankly, only you can decide if there is fun to be had at DHS. I have listed the things that existed the last time you were there and are no longer there. Do those matter to you? Or can you have at least a half day of fun seeing the Muppets, Indiana Jones, Star Tours, the Frozen Sing-Along, Toy Story Midway Mania and the Beauty and the Beast Show?

Thanks for the technical hair splitting. The point is that there is a ton of talk around "Is HS a half day park because of so many things being closed", with a clear concept that half of the park is closed and there is construction everywhere. American Idol was replaced with Frozen, so while it's an attraction that changed, it's not a net loss of one. Animation Academy was replaced with Launch Bay...again not a net loss of attractions. Yes, the others are now closed...but let's be honest...with the exception of GMR and Lights, Motors, Action, the other things were ghost towns...nobody used them (I realize I don't know if OP did or not, but my point is they weren't popular attractions). There are new shows now too, which weren't there in 2013.

The point is that while there is definitely change going on at HS, it's not a park that's full of tumbleweed and no attractions. It could be a half day park if the things it has don't interest you, but the same could be said of MK, AK, Epcot. HS has plenty to do for an all day trip if you want.

Not sure when you're going, OP, but there's new stuff coming in November. Holiday shows, Grand Ave, new tap room, etc.

We don't do ToT or RnRC either, and Fantasmic has no attraction for us.

To be honest, if it wasn't for my daughter loving DHS, we wouldn't go there on our next trip. With good planning, we can get everything done we want to do by shortly after lunch time. Since we don't have hoppers, we can either bum around the park, or leave.

We're actually planning DHS to be the last park in our trip, so we can leave early, get packed and get ready to go home.

We're actually planning DHS to be the last park in our trip, so we can leave early, get packed and get ready to go home.

See, I'm doing the opposite. My flight gets me to Orlando about mid morning, so I don't expect to be to my resort until about noon. My travel partner is NOT a huge Disney fan, so we are taking things slowly, so we are doing HS on our first day. We will probably get there about 1 pm and then will be there until after Fantasmic! We will be focusing on the stage shows only and I'm pretty sure that it will completely fill up the day.

Or can you have at least a half day of fun seeing the Muppets, Indiana Jones, Star Tours, the Frozen Sing-Along, Toy Story Midway Mania and the Beauty and the Beast Show?
As much as I agree that DHS is lacking in appeal these days, I could spend an entire day riding Star Tours and TSMM alone, so I'll never stop going there.

Queen of the WDW Scene would like a word with you and your thread.....

In all seriousness, only you can decide if its "worth" going to DHS over spending your time somewhere else. You'll find people's opinion on this subject are all over the place. Although I'm more in the "half day" camp (mostly because I don't go to most of the shows anymore), I still spent about 4-5 hours there recently even without "doing" much (taking in a few rides, browsing Launch Bay, walking around and seeing Fantasmic). So contrary to some views, DHS does not stand for "Desolate Half-day Sojourn" - assuming that there are at least a handful of things you want to do there.

Thanks for the technical hair splitting. The point is that there is a ton of talk around "Is HS a half day park because of so many things being closed", with a clear concept that half of the park is closed and there is construction everywhere. American Idol was replaced with Frozen, so while it's an attraction that changed, it's not a net loss of one. Animation Academy was replaced with Launch Bay...again not a net loss of attractions. Yes, the others are now closed...but let's be honest...with the exception of GMR and Lights, Motors, Action, the other things were ghost towns...nobody used them (I realize I don't know if OP did or not, but my point is they weren't popular attractions). There are new shows now too, which weren't there in 2013.

The point is that while there is definitely change going on at HS, it's not a park that's full of tumbleweed and no attractions. It could be a half day park if the things it has don't interest you, but the same could be said of MK, AK, Epcot. HS has plenty to do for an all day trip if you want.
It's not "hair splitting" in the least. As you point out, certain attractions and entertainment venues were closed and replaced with something else. But that does not negate the fact that things were closed. It is entirely inaccurate to suggest that "Because American Idol was replaced with Frozen and because the Animation Academy was replaced by a Star Wars character meeting area, then the only thing that closed is the Great Movie Ride." No. American Idol closed and so too did the Animation Academy. The replacement attractions only matter if they are of interest to the OP. Maybe they are. Maybe they aren't. Only the OP can be the judge. For anyone who loved AI but hates Frozen, the "replacement" results in a net loss of fun. For anyone who loves Frozen and hated AI, the replacement results in a net gain of fun. And so on for each and every change that was made. And it cannot be denied that, (at least as of today), the other things on that list that have closed have not been replaced with anything and that has to result in a net loss of fun to everyone who enjoyed those things.

For us, we now need 4 or 5 fewer hours to tour DHS than we used to. We aren't interested in either the Frozen venue or the Star Wars Bay...not in the least. I don't suggest that this is true for everyone. Which is why each person must judge for themselves and should do so with full disclosure of all relevant information. And saying that "not much has closed" simply isn't full disclosure. The truth is, over the past few years, a lot has closed, and some of those closures have been replaced with other, very different forms of entertainment. That truthful statement is not splitting hairs.

The real meat of this is that they won't ride ToT or RnRC, so that cuts two major attractions anyway. I would say that the closings are irrelevant, but without those two headliners, I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time/effort on a visit to HS. OP, if you are interested in the other shows, then you might want to pop in. I agree that Park Hoppers would be hands so you don't have to spend a full day there.

The real meat of this is that they won't ride ToT or RnRC, so that cuts two major attractions anyway. I would say that the closings are irrelevant,
An interesting take. But consider the following scenario. A guest does not ride ToT or RnRC. Ever. The last time they visited DHS they had a great time doing the following:
  • Indiana Jones
  • Studio Back Lot Tour
  • Muppets
  • Legend of Jack Sparrow
  • Animation Academy
  • Beauty and The Beast Show
  • Lights, Motors, Action
  • Star Tours
  • TSMM
  • Great Movie Ride
That's a pretty full day in my book.
Now take out the things that have closed since the last time they were there and the list of past favorites looks like this:
  • Indiana Jones
  • Muppets
  • Star Tours
  • TSMM
If you grabbed FPs for TSMM and Star Tours, that's about a two and a half hour day, tops. So if we've gone from a full day to a couple of hours, wouldn't the closings be relevant? I think that your point is that if you don't do ToT and RnRC, the park (today) is not worth a full day's visit, and I would agree with that completely. But I think three years ago you could have spent a full day at DHS without doing either of the thrill rides. Maybe not RD to closing. But certainly RD until an early dinner.

An interesting take. But consider the following scenario. A guest does not ride ToT or RnRC. Ever. The last time they visited DHS they had a great time doing the following:
  • Indiana Jones
  • Studio Back Lot Tour
  • Muppets
  • Legend of Jack Sparrow
  • Animation Academy
  • Lights, Motors, Action
  • Star Tours
  • TSMM
  • Great Movie Ride
That's a pretty full day in my book.
Now take out the things that have closed since the last time they were there and the list of past favorites looks like this:
  • Indiana Jones
  • Muppets
  • Star Tours
  • TSMM
If you grabbed FPs for TSMM and Star Tours, that's about a two and a half hour day, tops. So if we've gone from a full day to a couple of hours, wouldn't the closings be relevant? I think that your point is that if you don't do ToT and RnRC, the park (today) is not worth a full day's visit, and I would agree with that completely. But I think three years ago you could have spent a full day at DHS without doing either of the thrill rides. Maybe not RD to closing. But certainly RD until an early dinner.

Well, as has been pointed out above, some of your closings were actually replaced with something. Frozen Sing-a-Long, Star wars Launch Bay, plus the Star Wars stage show and Galactic Spectacular add value to the park. Also, those attractions are not that equal, nor were they ever equally popular. You are also leaving off Dis. Jr., Little Mermaid, and One Man's Dream, though those are all still there (OMD is now Walt Disney Presents, but essentially the same). Really, the net loss is not quite as great as you make it out to be. In my opinion though, without ToT or RnRC, HS is FAR less compelling, even if all of the other attractions hadn't closed, at least compared to the other parks.

We went to HS in March this year and were done after lunch. We could've even left earlier, but wanted to try the Sci-fi Dine-in Theater. We rode TOT, Star Tours, RnRC, and Toy Story Mania. We also went to Star Wars Launch Bay, but we did not do the Frozen attraction because that didn't interest us at all. For us it was a half day park even after riding the "big" rides and having lunch so we park hopped over to Epcot. We don't plan on going back to HS until after the Star Wars land opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter