• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hollywood & Vine or Mama Melrose

jemtx

DIS Veteran
A weird comparison I know, but Im looking for some opinions of as to which would be a better HS dinner. We currently have an ADR for Mama Melrose and I thought we were all set with that, but then I keep seeing these really good reviews of H&V on the boards and starting wondering if it wouldn’t be a better option. I’m not sure if I‘lol ever see an ADR pop-up for my dates, but just in case, I thought I would ask for some knowledgeable advice from those who have gotten a chance to go lately. TIA.

I recently ate at both of these restaurants and enjoyed the food at both. The prime rib at Hollywood and Vine was great and I got the strip steak with pancetta mac and cheese at Mama Melrose's. If you want to have a character (distanced but they pose for you long enough to get a nice picture) experience than pick Hollywood and Vine if the character experience isn't what you are after then keep Mama's.

I recently ate at both of these restaurants and enjoyed the food at both. The prime rib at Hollywood and Vine was great and I got the strip steak with pancetta mac and cheese at Mama Melrose's. If you want to have a character (distanced but they pose for you long enough to get a nice picture) experience than pick Hollywood and Vine if the character experience isn't what you are after then keep Mama's.
Thank you for your experience. You actually ordered exactly what I was going to at both restaurants. 😀 I’ve seen some reports of H&V being very slow, but I don’t know if those were isolated incidents.

The food at Mama's is very good. Traditional Italian although they have steaks and other more American type food. The chicken parm is tasty. My wife liked the shrimp alfredo dish. The prices are very reasonable for Disney. Nice atmosphere too.

Historically H&V has had very low ratings, while Mama Melrose's has been one of the higher rated on Disney property. Interesting that recent H&V reviews have been positive.

We had H&V on this past Friday. Service was outstanding, and the prime rib was amazing.
We stayed away from there when it was a buffet due to a bad experience but this place is totally changed. Hopefully it stays this way.

Thank you for your experience. You actually ordered exactly what I was going to at both restaurants. 😀 I’ve seen some reports of H&V being very slow, but I don’t know if those were isolated incidents.

H & V wasn't slow for us, we were there a little less than hour which is what I would expect with a 3 course meal and characters.

I keep hearing the Prime Rib is very good at H&V. That being said, Mama Melrose has a really good Strip Steak with Mac... (It's the best non-Signature steak and mac on property IMO.)
That's a toss up for sure, but Prime Rib and a Charred Strip Steak are two different flavor profiles and it would depend on what you were feeling. We will likely have to make the same decisions when we decide to return this year. Good luck! Ha

The food at Mama's is very good. Traditional Italian although they have steaks and other more American type food. The chicken parm is tasty. My wife liked the shrimp alfredo dish. The prices are very reasonable for Disney. Nice atmosphere too.

I concur. We have had several good lunches here over the last 8 years or so.

Wait. What? H&V has changed? It's no longer a buffet. Is that just a covid thing? Is it totally a different dining menu/experience?
Please tell more?

How about if you had to choose between Brown Derby, 50’s, or Mama Melrose for lunch, which would you all pick?

I believe that the steak at Mama Melrose is one of the hidden food gems on Disney property. The last few times I've had it, it was EXCELLENT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter