Holy Smokes - Grocery Costs

ssharratt

Earning My Ears
This is our first trip using our points and when we joined, we were told that we could have groceries delivered to our room for a small fee and they would be at market prices. I'm cool with the $10 delivery cost, but $5 for a box of raisin bran and $1.50 for a banana? That is bananas!
What does everyone else do?

It's all about comparisons - it's still cheaper than eating breakfast out at Disney. ;)

If we rent a car we shop on our own. If we just get food at the resort we also shop on our own and save the delivery fee. Often there are things we are used to so we just bring them along - such as a certain cereal. And as was mentioned some use the grocery delivery services although they do have fees so your order needs to be somewhat sizeable to make that cost effective.

Without a car we typically will bring a bag of the dry stuff (cereal, donuts, precooked bacon, peanut butter) then get milk and fruit from the resort grocery. Concerning the fruit prices...$1-$1.50 per piece is the same price my Target Super center charges. So to me, not a big deal to get something healthy.

We rent a car for a day, go shopping for food and anything that we forgot to pack and eat a good, reasonably priced meal offsite.

:earsboy: Bill

I'm cool with the $10 delivery cost, but $5 for a box of raisin bran and $1.50 for a banana? That is bananas!
What does everyone else do?

I skip the bananas and eat

I bought these in the Beach Club Marketplace.

When they said "market prices" I think they meant that the prices are the same as what is charged if you purchase the item in the resort's gift shop. Not that the prices are the same as what you would pay if you went to a grocery store off-site.

Last time we shopped onsite we spent like $45 for milk, diet coke, bagels, a realllllly small single stick of butter, a small cream cheese and a couple of beers. That was IT for me. No more. We now order online ahead of time from Garden Grocer. We get a case (or 2) of water, milk, soda, creamer, beer and several other breakfast items. It still costs a lot because they have to mark things up a tad to make anything on the service but it is still a lot cheaper than giving the money to Disney. And honestly, in January when we went Garden Grocer was charging the same exact market price for strawberries as what my grocery store at home was charging. I do have a limit for certain things for what I'll pay - I wouldn't pay Garden Grocer OR my store at home $6 for a pound of berries. We'll do without before I pay that. But comparatively, I know what I pay at home for stuff so I know how much more I'm paying GG. If I think what they're charging is too ridiculous I order something else instead. If we eat breakfast "out" it's gonna cost us a lot more than what we pay GG for some breakfast items.

We stay in the BCV.. When we check in and get our luggage we unpack and then take the largest suitcase with us over to the Hess station, and pick up soda, beer and a little bit of odd and end food. It's cheaper then buying at one of the resort stores! We then pack it in our suitcase and walk back to the resort!

We stay in the BCV.. When we check in and get our luggage we unpack and then take the largest suitcase with us over to the Hess station, and pick up soda, beer and a little bit of odd and end food. It's cheaper then buying at one of the resort stores! We then pack it in our suitcase and walk back to the resort!

How does one get from BCV to Hess?

I am staying at BCV in April, we will not have a car.
We are packing non-perishables (flying SW has its advantages, two bags fly free).

When I took a longer trip with more people, it was worth it to have groceries delivered by garden grocer, and then tip the people who delivered it to our room (garden grocer left it at the lobby, although we were in our room at the time).

But for shorter trips with fewer people, I usually just pack some food, and then buy perishables at the resort.

But if Hess is a reasonable walk, I might prefer that.

That sounds like a great plan!

We use Kelly's PDS for our groceries. No mark ups. A 20% service fee & $10 delivery fee. She's amazing!

Last time we shopped onsite we spent like $45 for milk, diet coke, bagels, a realllllly small single stick of butter, a small cream cheese and a couple of beers. That was IT for me. No more. We now order online ahead of time from Garden Grocer. We get a case (or 2) of water, milk, soda, creamer, beer and several other breakfast items. It still costs a lot because they have to mark things up a tad to make anything on the service but it is still a lot cheaper than giving the money to Disney. And honestly, in January when we went Garden Grocer was charging the same exact market price for strawberries as what my grocery store at home was charging. I do have a limit for certain things for what I'll pay - I wouldn't pay Garden Grocer OR my store at home $6 for a pound of berries. We'll do without before I pay that. But comparatively, I know what I pay at home for stuff so I know how much more I'm paying GG. If I think what they're charging is too ridiculous I order something else instead. If we eat breakfast "out" it's gonna cost us a lot more than what we pay GG for some breakfast items.

I agree. GG is the way tomato. Never had a problem in multiple trips using them.

I have used wegoshop 7 times and I highly recommend them. They do NOT mark up each item like Garden Grocer does. But their delivery fee is a bit higher. I think it equals out. I prefer wegoshop because I prefer to create my list rather than shop a "virtual aisle". I have saved the delivery fee just by buying a case of bottled water vs the cost per bottle at Disney.
We get juice, coffee, fruit, breakfast foods, water, soda, beer, wine, crackers and cheese, and snacks and find it well worth it to order from wegoshop.
Good Luck

We hit the local Wal mart to stock up. We found the grocery store that delivers is too expensive.

I like your idea... was thinking of doing this myself. Only issue is that we're staying at a different resort. Can you use the buses to get near this Hess?

If we have our car we go offsite to Publix or Walmart..

If we do not have a car and we have a bunch of people and more than a couple days I use Garden Grocer.. They were great!

The one time it was just my husband and myself for a long weekend we just purchased our stuff in the store at Boardwalk .. it made more sense than having anything delivered.. We were using the QS dining plan so all we needed was breakfast stuff. Tho IFRC I did take along bread, english muffins and coffee in my carryon .. just had to buy "perishables" .. eggs, milk, bacon, butter .. it seemed more reasonable when I calculated it out ..

If you need a car while staying on-site, then go off property for your food. We didn't need a car and packed 1/2 a suitcase with cereal, granola bars and other non-perishables for breakfast as we had a 1 br Savannah view at AKV-Jambo House.

We ate almost all of our breakfasts on the balcony watching the animals below. Absolutely amazing!!

We only bought milk and a few other items at the market to minimize extra costs. We figured eat breakfast in and lunch and dinner out and we were very happy with our plan.

On one trip we grabbed a cab from the back entrance of SSR near Down Town Disney.We went to winn dixie and back to SSR and it was $ 5.00 each way but that was a few years back. Mears has a calculator so I just used it.SSR to winn dixie $8.65,Boardwalk was $15.95 and the Wilderness Lodge was $20.40.So check it out and make sure you get the right address.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter