Holy Smokes!!

Okay... This still just seemed way too high for me so I just went onto the Disney site and priced out a week stay for two adults at a Value resort for the first week of October. With park hoppers and the dining plan, the total is $2502. So I cannot understand how you are getting an estimate of $4800 per couple. Plane tickets cannot be $1150 per person?

I used the 3rd week of October, 7 nights at a value resort (I think it was Movies), 8 day tickets with park hoppers, and DDxP. It came to approximately $4100 per couple ($40XX.XX - I don't remember the exact amount). $4100 x 5 = $20,500. Airfare runs us between $300-$350 so I erred on the high side (which I did with the cruise too) so add another $3500 comes to $24,000.

If I use the 1st week of October, 7 nights at All Star Sports (which is under refurbishment), 8 day ticket with park hoppers and DDxp it comes to $3700/couple so $18,500 = $3500 airfare = $22,000.

I just did the 3rd week of October @ Music. 7 Nights, 8 Day PH, DxDP for a total of $3134. This is without any type of room discount.

The only way I can get to the 4k+ point is using the premium dining plan. In that case it goes to $4250.54 for the same time period.

I used the 3rd week of October, 7 nights at a value resort (I think it was Movies), 8 day tickets with park hoppers, and DDxP. It came to approximately $4100 per couple ($40XX.XX - I don't remember the exact amount). $4100 x 5 = $20,500. Airfare runs us between $300-$350 so I erred on the high side (which I did with the cruise too) so add another $3500 comes to $24,000.

If I use the 1st week of October, 7 nights at All Star Sports (which is under refurbishment), 8 day ticket with park hoppers and DDxp it comes to $3700/couple so $18,500 = $3500 airfare = $22,000.
I get $3200 for Movies 10/13 -10/17.

I still think you're making the correct choice! A cruise will be a lot more fun for 10 adults than trying to remain joined at the hip and cat herding your friends over the expanse of WDW.

My previous estimate ($2500-2700) was for the regular dining plan the first week of Oct. I changed that to the deluxe and get the same $3500 that you did. If you want the deluxe plan that is more than I was thinking, so I can see where your prices would be higher.

But as for the third week of Oct... :confused3

I just switched my search from the first week of Oct to the third (10/16-23) and put in all the same info as you and I get $3526 (same price as the first week) not $4100.

I just did the 3rd week of October @ Music. 7 Nights, 8 Day PH, DxDP for a total of $3134. This is without any type of room discount.

The only way I can get to the 4k+ point is using the premium dining plan. In that case it goes to $4250.54 for the same time period.

I used 10/15 - 10/22. I still get $3694.70. Last night I got over $4000. Maybe I checked off something else that I didn't mean to. If I go with the premium plan I get $4996.70!

I get $3200 for Movies 10/13 -10/17.

I used 10/15-10/22. Still getting $3694.70. We need to go Sat-Sat or Sun - Sun due to work schedules.

I still think you're making the correct choice! A cruise will be a lot more fun for 10 adults than trying to remain joined at the hip and cat herding your friends over the expanse of WDW.

I think so too, although we all won't be joined at the hip! I learned that lesson a long time ago. We usually meet up at some point during the day, have dinner and spend the evenings together. Mom and Dad tend to retire earlier than younger crowd and get up earlier too. Most likely we'll all do the same excursions too, but sometimes we split up.

My previous estimate ($2500-2700) was for the regular dining plan the first week of Oct. I changed that to the deluxe and get the same $3500 that you did. If you want the deluxe plan that is more than I was thinking, so I can see where your prices would be higher.

But as for the third week of Oct... :confused3

I just switched my search from the first week of Oct to the third (10/16-23) and put in all the same info as you and I get $3526 (same price as the first week) not $4100.

I'm getting $3694.70 now. (10/15-10/22) Yesterday it was over $4000. I must have added something else in when I was clicking around that I didn't mean to add (maybe Memory Maker).

I figured out now why prices are all over the place. I was using 2016 figures as I didn't realize the 2017 ones were out yet. If I use 2017 figures it comes out to $3389.98, for a total of $16,949.90, excluding airfare. Estimating that in it comes to $20,449.99. Much better than I first thought, but still much higher than the other two options.

A cruise will be a nice vacation! We are not vacationing in 2017....WAHHHHHH! But, 2018, I am planning on doing our first cruise...I cannot wait!

I figured out now why prices are all over the place. I was using 2016 figures as I didn't realize the 2017 ones were out yet. If I use 2017 figures it comes out to $3389.98, for a total of $16,949.90, excluding airfare. Estimating that in it comes to $20,449.99. Much better than I first thought, but still much higher than the other two options.

I know you're pretty set on the cruise, but don't forget, that price you have NOW will most certainly have a discount (15% off room or free dining) come next summer. So maybe a couple thousand less than what you're seeing now.

I also feel that the Deluxe Dining Plan doesn't compare to a cruise's dining. Yes, our only options for breakfast were sit down/buffet, but given the option I'm sure I'd have done a grab and go. And lunch I was content with chicken fingers or a slice of pizza at the counter service. Dinner was the only meal we'd be sure to have a quality meal. So if I were comparing apples to apples I'd do the quick service or regular dining. And if I chose quick service I'd be sure to factor in a few nice dinners. I feel that's a better comparison. (Of course that's my family's dining style but yours may be different)

If you were to take off the deluxe dining plan that'd be over a $7,700 savings. You could get the free dining plan and pay for sit down meals out of pocket, 5 or 6 meals would cost you maybe $2,500- $3,000 with alcohol? I think that'd put you right around $15,500- $16,000.

And I know it wouldn't save you much but have you considered doing less days (6 day PH) at the parks and spending the rest of your time at Disney Springs/other resorts (i.e Animal Kingdom Lodge) or your pool? There's so much to do at Disney OTHER than the parks that doesn't cost money. Kind of like a cruise - you won't be paying for an excursion every day but you'll enjoy the free amenities on the ship.

Edit: I hope I don't sound rude! A cruise is a WONDERFUL vacation! But this is the Budget Board after all and we're here to let you know that Disney can be done for less without compromising your vacation. Any choice you make will be wonderful, regardless :cutie:

Last edited:
For the cruise it's 5 cabins, 4 inside and 1 balcony, 4 ports with an excursion in each port. Alcoholic drink package is included for all cabins (NCL promo). Prices for airfare aren't out yet, but we usually pay between $300-$350/pp. We do not live within driving distance to the ports.

When you priced out NCL, did you click all the way through to the point where you could start selecting staterooms? We looked into the alcoholic drink package included promo, but found the daily service charge that got tacked onto the fare for the package was HUGE (more than we would have spent per day on alcoholic beverages), but it didn't show up right away when we were pricing it - we had to act like we had decided to book... Just an FYI, it's probably not a big enough difference to move it ahead of the all-inclusive, but it may add a couple hundred dollars with a group your size.

Oh and a couple more things for a cruise; did you factor in transportation from airport to hotel, hotel to port and port to airport? Also does that include 5 hotel rooms for the night before your cruise? That could easily be another $1,000.

I know you're pretty set on the cruise, but don't forget, that price you have NOW will most certainly have a discount (15% off room or free dining) come next summer. So maybe a couple thousand less than what you're seeing now.

I also feel that the Deluxe Dining Plan doesn't compare to a cruise's dining. Yes, our only options for breakfast were sit down/buffet, but given the option I'm sure I'd have done a grab and go. And lunch I was content with chicken fingers or a slice of pizza at the counter service. Dinner was the only meal we'd be sure to have a quality meal. So if I were comparing apples to apples I'd do the quick service or regular dining. And if I chose quick service if be sure to factor in a few nice dinners. I feel that's a better comparison. (Of course that's my family's dining style buy yours may be different)

If you were to take off the deluxe dining plan that'd be over a $7,700 savings. You could get the free dining plan and pay for sit down meals out of pocket, 5 or 6 meals would cost you maybe $2,500- $3,000 with alcohol? I think that'd put you right around $15,500- $16,000.

And I know it wouldn't save you much but have you considered doing less days (6 day PH) at the parks and spending the rest of your time at Disney Springs/other resorts (i.e Animal Kingdom Lodge) or your pool? There's so much to do at Disney OTHER than the parks that doesn't cost money. Kind of like a cruise - you won't be paying for an excursion every day but you'll enjoy the free amenities on the ship.

Edit: I hope I don't sound rude! A cruise is a WONDERFUL vacation! But this is the Budget Board after all and we're here to let you know that Disney can be done for less without compromising your vacation. Any choice you make will be wonderful, regardless :cutie:

It doesn't sound rude at all. I appreciate all the help and great suggestions. I was just trying to price out approximately the same type of package, i.e. same type of rooms, same number of days, food included, etc. DH and both sons are foodies and big guys (6'4" and over). QS dining wouldn't work for them at all. I know the discounts aren't open yet for the fall 2017 and we would likely get something off of that, I was just really surprised at the big difference in price.

We weren't even really discussing WDW until DD mentioned it in passing. DH has refused to go until Avatar is open, which is scheduled to be in 2017. Our plan was to wait to go until all of the new stuff was open, sometime between 2018-2020.

I think for this type of trip with this many people either the cruise or the all-inclusive will be the better choice.

When you priced out NCL, did you click all the way through to the point where you could start selecting staterooms? We looked into the alcoholic drink package included promo, but found the daily service charge that got tacked onto the fare for the package was HUGE (more than we would have spent per day on alcoholic beverages), but it didn't show up right away when we were pricing it - we had to act like we had decided to book... Just an FYI, it's probably not a big enough difference to move it ahead of the all-inclusive, but it may add a couple hundred dollars with a group your size.

Yes, I did, thanks. Tax on the drink package is approximately $200 per stateroom (drink package is $79/pp per day and taxed at 18%, with the promo you just pay the tax), or $1000 for the week. With 8 young adults I'm sure they're going to drink more than $100/pp in the course of a week! I also factored in tips at approximately $200 per stateroom for another $1000.

I'm getting $3694.70 now. (10/15-10/22) Yesterday it was over $4000. I must have added something else in when I was clicking around that I didn't mean to add (maybe Memory Maker).

When I first looked, it was automatically selecting the "preferred" room instead of "standard" so that may have been the issue with the price difference.

I would do the other ideas and not Disney. That's just me personally. I do not enjoy Disney with a group and trying to coordinate meals together.

So curious - can you tell me more about the chain you have used for all-inclusives in the past? That's next on the "list"!

I would do the other ideas and not Disney. That's just me personally. I do not enjoy Disney with a group and trying to coordinate meals together.

So curious - can you tell me more about the chain you have used for all-inclusives in the past? That's next on the "list"!

We really like the Iberostar resorts when traveling in with family. If it's just DH and I we usually stay at Sandals.

/
Oh and a couple more things for a cruise; did you factor in transportation from airport to hotel, hotel to port and port to airport? Also does that include 5 hotel rooms for the night before your cruise? That could easily be another $1,000.

I factored in the transportation. I should have enough hotel points for the rooms (or at least most of them) by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter