Home from WBPC (with 4 year old) today...

MunFam, I'm glad you had a mostly positive experience, but I'm really sad that the not so great things happened. We were on this cruise as well and it was our best family vacation ever.

I have food allergies (cantaloupe) and they were amazing about it. Any time we had a sit down meal we were asked if there were any food allergies and they seemed to be on top of it at all times.

We also didn't encounter any CMs with "short timers." Even some of the ones that we knew were getting off seemed to be particularly joyous and attentive this cruise. We kept commentig to everyone and to each other how amazing all the crew was. We had a few that really stood out for us (Hayden, one of the main actors, Brittany, one of the actresses, Grant, a lifeguard, Clayton!!!!) and a few that weren't fantastic (our dining team was just fine, but not spectacular).

We loved Clayton. We also enjoyed all of the shows and extras. We didn't get a chance to see Cinderella until Cabo day at 3pm (all abord was at 3:30, so we didn't feel we missed any of the day in port to get back for the movie). We had a blast doing the Steering Committee Hide and Seek both times, we loved the Deck Crew at both the crew talent show and at the Goofy stage on the last day. We thought that Clayton did a great job getting everyone psyched up and in the mood and also enjoyed Andy and his team.

We loved getting to know a lot of the crew. Who knew that the captain was so funny and kind? Or that Clayton was such a charmer? And Ugo! He and Clayton made me think of "brothers from another mother."

Our room attendant was terrific. And the room was very nicely freshened up. We didn't have a streamer trunk, instead we had a new built in unit. New couch, bed, carpet, table and seat. We didn't have extra plugs, but found that the four by the TV/desk were plenty. The tiles in the bathroom need replacing, but were clean and just fine.

We didn't mind the extra sea day simply because we really would rather be safe than sorry. Our kids were in the Edge, so I didn't notice different hours. Although a different port would have been nice, we understand that as far as planning goes, it's almost impossible for a major cruise ship to make a new stop with so little planning.

This was our fifth cruise and by far the most amazing one yet. It felt so special and exciting.

anyone have any questions? Here is a short trip report:

The new app was a LIFESAVER!!! Definitely load it on your smart phone before you go. It was so handy to have the menus and hour by hour breakdown plus weather reports and messaging all right at your fingertips.

They just were not in to it and we struggled to find "the Disney difference" as we cruised along.

I hope you don't mind all of us jumping on and adding our experiences to yours. We were on the WBPC too.

I agree with you about the app. We used it instead of the wave phones. I hope the find a way to link the magic bands to it so you can give them your code and won't need a wave phone at all soon.

The last statement I left says it all "finding the Disney difference". We had to note allergies on our family's ticket too. I had read about all the great service we would get to help her find food to eat. She's 17 and doesn't like people fussing over her. If they were to come sit down and talk to her, she would have been okay, but she didn't want me going out of the way bothering someone to come help her. She's allergic to beef, pork, dairy and gluten. Look at the adult menu and tell me what's left? Nothing...everything is contaminated with one of them. They didn't offer options or substitutions; just the normal nightly menu. The first few nights she got gluten free rolls, but that stopped by the end of the first week and we never saw them again. It all depends on your server team. If you have a good one, you will get outstanding service. I had a bad gut feeling about ours from the start and should have switched on day 2. I just feel bad doing it. They're nice people, they just don't provide the extra pixie dust others do. Ironically, our assistant server disembarked for home the same day we did. He wasn't even there to serve breakfast, so he requested everyone if they had "something special" for him to bring it to dinner Thursday night.

Dining aside, it is a fantastic vacation. Don't let it deter you from taking a cruise. It is all in your control. You can complain, request to be moved, whatever. They will most likely respond. I talked to a mom who had fantastic response to her son's allergy needs. That was #8 for me and have 9, 10 and 11 on the books. (She has asked me to leave the allergies off the record from now on. LOL)

JH

I hope you don't mind all of us jumping on and adding our experiences to yours. We were on the WBPC too.

I agree with you about the app. We used it instead of the wave phones. I hope the find a way to link the magic bands to it so you can give them your code and won't need a wave phone at all soon.

The last statement I left says it all "finding the Disney difference". We had to note allergies on our family's ticket too. I had read about all the great service we would get to help her find food to eat. She's 17 and doesn't like people fussing over her. If they were to come sit down and talk to her, she would have been okay, but she didn't want me going out of the way bothering someone to come help her. She's allergic to beef, pork, dairy and gluten. Look at the adult menu and tell me what's left? Nothing...everything is contaminated with one of them. They didn't offer options or substitutions; just the normal nightly menu. The first few nights she got gluten free rolls, but that stopped by the end of the first week and we never saw them again. It all depends on your server team. If you have a good one, you will get outstanding service. I had a bad gut feeling about ours from the start and should have switched on day 2. I just feel bad doing it. They're nice people, they just don't provide the extra pixie dust others do. Ironically, our assistant server disembarked for home the same day we did. He wasn't even there to serve breakfast, so he requested everyone if they had "something special" for him to bring it to dinner Thursday night.

Dining aside, it is a fantastic vacation. Don't let it deter you from taking a cruise. It is all in your control. You can complain, request to be moved, whatever. They will most likely respond. I talked to a mom who had fantastic response to her son's allergy needs. That was #8 for me and have 9, 10 and 11 on the books. (She has asked me to leave the allergies off the record from now on. LOL)

JH
I don't understand. If you leave the allergy information off how can you expect them to help you? I would definitely mark the allergies and ask them to talk to me about it on board.
I'm so sorry that you all had trouble with this situation. Everything I've heard before has been so positive about allergies and DCL. I hope your future cruises go smoothly in all areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter