Homecomin’ - Bad day or going downhill?

To be fair...EVERYBODY thinks their grandma made the best _______ (insert food here). Because it's what you grew up eating and know and love. I cannot count the number of cookouts and picnics and church gatherings I've been to here in NC where everyone extolled how amazing Aunt Junie's _____ is or just wait til you try Granny's _____! And when I got to try it I had to smile a politely choke down whatever it was and act like it really was amazing when it was just blech.

Taste is subjective. There are 1000 fried chicken places here in NC. None of them have chicken like Homecomin's. It is very different and delicious IMO. I can find great fried chicken here at home, but I can't find fried chicken like Homecomin.

BTW, it will be a cold day in the pits of hell before I eat another Aunt/Grandma So-and-So's deviled egg around here. Loading it with pickle relish and mustard and dusting paprika on top does not a delicious egg make LOL.

I love your perspective! I’m from NC and was getting nervous about spending an evening trekking to Homecomin’. But I’m hopeful that it will be interesting and different enough to be worth it!

I shan’t be getting deviled eggs though. I prefer mine to anyone’s, even my mother’s, thank you very much.

As I make my comments about Homecoming I have to preface it with this. I was born and raised in the South and I am a seriously harsh critic of fried chicken and I found the fried chicken here to be very average at best. I know of dozens of small mom and pop restaurants in the south that do a far superior job. For that matter 50's Primetime does a better job on fried chicken that Homecoming. And that so called Shine cake. Several of my fathers older half brothers made whiskey during the depression and my grand mother and great grand mother made a shine cake and whatever Homecoming calls it it isn't Moonshine Cake.

My impression has been that Homecomin' can be hit or miss. We've been twice--loved the chicken, grits, greens, sweet potatoes, but biscuits were kind of limp and sad--but I've read reviews of the same food we had on other days that look really sub-par. Maybe they have consistency issues.

That's a tough question. I've had hit or miss experiences before (the ribeye at Boathouse was the best I'd ever had in my life the first time I went there, and just okay the second time) so I'm tempted to say give them another try if you really want to, but if there's something else you haven't tried maybe go there instead. Not salting fried chicken enough I can get (I live in Georgia and think most places that claim to have great fried chicken really have mediocre chicken) but the deviled eggs are probably going to be consistently the same. That makes me sad because they're so easy to make!

I don't love it there. I of course think fried chicken from my childhood is the best, but I can eat it almost anywhere. Homecomin is not one of those places :lol: I think it tastes like dirt. I'm sorry!! Mashed potatoes were bad too. No one in my family will give it a second chance ;)

We've been twice on two separate trips, once for lunch and once for dinner. It wasn't the best fried chicken we've ever had but it was very good. Service was ok for the first time at dinner, for lunch the server was outstanding. We'll def be back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter