• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** Homeschool List ***

TNKBELL

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!! I'm trying to accumulate a list of Disers that would be interested in a Homeschool board, you don't have to Homeschool to add yourself to the post! Anyone who is interested in education in general, you should add your post as well, there will be a myriad of resources for any parent, teacher, hs, daycare, or early education providers!! :flower: I'm hoping to get a list on this board and also the community board!! Thank you and see you soon!! :Pinkbounc

I think that would be great! We don't officially "homeschool", however my son is educated at home via a public cyber-charter school (they send the books and lesson plans, I have him do the work, he submits tests/projects, it's all free as it is a bona fide public school system that encompasses the whole state).

PrincessCyann said:
I think that would be great! We don't officially "homeschool", however my son is educated at home via a public cyber-charter school (they send the books and lesson plans, I have him do the work, he submits tests/projects, it's all free as it is a bona fide public school system that encompasses the whole state).
That is Homeschooling!!! :goodvibes I would do that if we had a better program here, Alaska has the best program I've ever seen! I wonder why other states don't pick up on it. Glad to have you aboard!! :flower:

Ooh I'm ALWAYS looking for people to trade Homeschooling stories with. :D

We just "started" officially, DS6 is going into 1st grade by age, 2nd grade by academics. DS2 is "learning" too. Funny how the younger kids insist on "work" when their siblings do theirs. BTW, this is our 3rd year of homeschooling.

JMSMommy said:
Ooh I'm ALWAYS looking for people to trade Homeschooling stories with. :D

We just "started" officially, DS6 is going into 1st grade by age, 2nd grade by academics. DS2 is "learning" too. Funny how the younger kids insist on "work" when their siblings do theirs. BTW, this is our 3rd year of homeschooling.
This is so true!! It has been very easy to start my 2nd Ds in school and my Dd3 loves to do "worksheets"! This will be my 4th year! Thanks for posting!! :goodvibes

Hey all, :wave: this fall will be our first year homeschooling as well!
Ds is 12. We will be using Sonlight for full curriculum, as well as their science. And for math we are using Math U See.
Love for us to get to know each other better. My first two passions are of course, anything with Disney, :earboy2: and then Homeschooling, :teacher: since we are just getting our feet wet this year. :goodvibes

Oh I am interested!

We dont homeschool DS yet, because he is only 2.

But I am very interested in it. My only fear is being overwhelemed doing it & having my DS's education suffer.

So I would love a board where I could get some more info on it & talk with people who do it!

What a great idea!! Count me in! :) :goodvibes

In the begining stages here with a 3 1/2 year old and a soon to be 2 year old.

Baby steps. :)

Add us to the list. We're about to begin our second year of HS. Our DS is 5 and will be doing K work this year. We're using Veritas Press Phonics Museum and Saxon Math 1 as our primary curriculum.

I'm excited about this group!!!

Count me in. My kids are not in homeschooling, but I'm very interested in doing it. I'm a Kindermusik educator.

I don't know how you ladies do it! I would love to see what goes on with Homeschooling. I just kinda like it when my DS is away at school :guilty: I will have to decide between this and private school though. I'm just not really down for the public school system sometimes. Count me in for the info though!

Just finished up the year this week, actually. I love to visit online with other homeschoolers. Right now I'm thinking about coordinating some academics with our trip to WDW next fall. Thought we'd learn a little about Florida before we go. I just picked up a science book on hurricanes (hope we don't get a firsthand lesson while we're there lol!) Would love to discuss other ideas - not just with homeschoolers, but with anyone who's interested in educational travel in general!

We have used Sonlight for 4 years. Love it! What Core are you using? We'll be starting Core 4 next year.

Kerlynne said:
Hey all, :wave: this fall will be our first year homeschooling as well!
Ds is 12. We will be using Sonlight for full curriculum, as well as their science. And for math we are using Math U See.
Love for us to get to know each other better. My first two passions are of course, anything with Disney, :earboy2: and then Homeschooling, :teacher: since we are just getting our feet wet this year. :goodvibes

Count me in! I'll start my 3rd year of homeschooling in August.

Hi Melinda, it has been so hard to decide! There is such good stuff there at Sonlight, but running out of time, with Ds being older. I decided to go back to core 3+4. The reasons are it didn't too well with Lang arts in the public school, so he still doesn't know how to write a proper paper. And the topic interested him. There are a lot of areas where I live, where we can do trips, to reinforce the subject. And what a better plan, to get him totally excited about what he's learning, than the first year. That's what is so great about Hsing you cover what will work for your family, in the order and time you want. I feel that's what happens in the beginning of schooling, kids love it, and are excited, but as they age, and the text books get mundane, they get bored. He's not in love with core 5 neither. Because of that we may skip that. Not sure, because if he ever decided to do mission work or work in our church, think that would be good to know. I was going to skip 7, since he did it this year in his school, but they never did social studies every day, so they didn't cover as much as 6 grade should. It's odd as so many Ps are now not using science/social s. every day. That's why I'm excited about getting into Sonlight so we can really get involved with that time period, and really grasp what they went through. So with all that in mind, for the following year, for 8th grade, we will prob. do core 6 . 9th gr. will do core 7. Skip 100, since it's like 3+4. Then go into 300 for 10 grade.{will hit 200 if have time later } core 400 for 11th. And then 530 & 200 for senior year. :scratchin
What do you think? Sorry to be so long winded; but I haven't ordered yet, because I'm little anxious, about planning this out well. :bitelip:

I'm always interested in talking about homeschooling and Disney, so seems like a good idea to me! LOL
We will be entering our 6th year of homeschooling, also with Sonlight. We will be using core 5, as soon as I actually complete core 4. (This has been a SLOW year for us.)
Any of you Sonlight users frequent the Sonlight boards also? :)

I'm interested, too. :) This will be our third year homeschooling. I use the Calvert School curriculum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter