Homewood Suites at Flamingo Crossings OR Doubletree Disney Springs?

tentaguasu

Mouseketeer
I'm looking at these two options and wondering which you all would recommend, based on both actual experience and location. I will not have a car, so I'll be reliant on either hotel transportation or Uber.

Homewood Suites

Pros:
Brand new
Less expensive (maybe $300-ish across the duration of out trip - uber would be paid by the difference)

Cons:
Seems like a generic location
100% dependent on Uber/Lyft

Doubletree

Pros:
Better transportation (can either use hotel bus or walk a while and pick up Disney Springs/Saratoga busses)
Easy to walk to Disney Springs on down days

Cons:
Older
More expensive

I guess it comes down to how much of an advantage it would be to be close to Disney Springs and more transportation options, or I'll be using Uber a bunch anyway, just pocket the savings from a cheaper, newer place?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I'm looking at these two options and wondering which you all would recommend, based on both actual experience and location. I will not have a car, so I'll be reliant on either hotel transportation or Uber.

Homewood Suites

Pros:
Brand new
Less expensive (maybe $300-ish across the duration of out trip - uber would be paid by the difference)

Cons:

Doubletree

Pros:
Better transportation (can either use hotel bus or walk a while and pick up Disney Springs/Saratoga busses)

Cons:
Older
More expensive

I guess it comes down to how much of an advantage it would be to be close to Disney Springs and more transportation options, or I'll be using Uber a bunch anyway, just pocket the savings from a cheaper, newer place?

Why not Homewood Suites Lake Buena Visa?

Homewood Suites

Pros:
Brand new

Cons:

Doubletree

Pros:

Cons:
Older
More expensive

I would recommend the DoubleTree, it's a full service hotel and its both an official "Walt Disney World Good Neighbor Hotel" and DS Area hotel which means you get access to all of these benefits:
https://disneyspringshotels.com/disney-advantage/

We have stayed at both. Flamingo crossing is right at Animal Kingdom entrance and newer. It is closer to AK and MK. Double Tree is by Disney Springs and a little older. It is closer to Epcot and Studios. We would stay at either again...I know you don't have a car but if I remember correctly I think we had to pay to park at Double Tree.

Homewood Suites has free breakfast...Doubletree has an actual restaurant.

We have stayed at both. Flamingo crossing is right at Animal Kingdom entrance and newer. It is closer to AK and MK. Double Tree is by Disney Springs and a little older. It is closer to Epcot and Studios. We would stay at either again...I know you don't have a car but if I remember correctly I think we had to pay to park at Double Tree.

Homewood Suites has free breakfast...Doubletree has an actual restaurant.
Unless there's a special access road looks like the hotels on 192/Sherbeth road are closer to Animal Kingdom.

Unless there's a special access road looks like the hotels on 192/Sherbeth road are closer to Animal Kingdom.

Yes, but neither of these are along 192. Which is something to consider....

Flamingo Crossing is really pretty new and not built up with groceries and dining options (unless its changed in the past year since we have stayed there.- which maybe it has!) 192 and Flamingo Crossing both have great access to AK, but from different directions- though 192 and Sherbeth definitely had the advantage.

We frequently stay in the 192 area (Windsor HIlls) and it was a pain to have to pay tolls to get to what we felt were the most convenient stores and shopping areas when we stayed at Flamingo Crossing

Double Tree is located in a horrible area in terms of traffic- not such a big deal though since the OP does not have a car.

So I guess 6 of one, half dozen of another....

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them. The one thing I didn't remember is that the Doubletree has "Disney privileges." If FastPass comes back, that'd be well worth it, IMO. If it doesn't I still get early entry.

I guess that right there is probably worth it.

I vote for Doubletree Disney springs because you do not have a car. Since you don't have a car they have a bus you can reserve. I was there last month the bus was great. One day was at the TTC and did not have a bus reservation. When I tried to Uber the cost was $32-$60. I ended up walking to the Poly and took the bus to Disney Springs and walked to the DoubleTree. My point is if you don't have a car the DoubleTree has free transportation options. It is a pleasant walk to Disney Springs. With covid and the recent gas issue you could possible get stuck with an expensive Uber ride.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Flamingo Crossings last year and loved it! It was so new and clean. The breakfast each was fantastic. I was so hesitant to stay off site, but would stay there again in a heartbeat. It was a quick drive into the parks.

Homewood Suites

Pros:
Brand new

Cons:

Doubletree

Pros:

Cons:
Older
More expensive

stayed at doubletree years ago... 2017.
We gave up on shuttle first day. Too long, too indirect. We Uber’s entire trip and would do that again.

If you care about location Double Tree. If you care about a less dated feeling hotel, Homewood Suites. Also ALL hotel Disney shuttles suck. All of them. You'll need to Uber if you aren't staying on property.

You could walk from the DoubleTree to the Disney Springs buses if you are a walker. It appears to be 1.1 miles.

Last edited:

Homewood Suites

Pros:
Brand new

Cons:

Doubletree

Pros:

Cons:
Older
More expensive

If you don't plan to utilize Disney Springs often and have no interest in venturing anywhere but Disney World, I would pick Homewood Suites. It's new and in a quiet area but you will have to uber anywhere you want to go. Location seems remote but it is not far from CSR which is very central on property.

I love Doubletree but the extra money isn't worth it if you won't be spending a lot of time in Disney Springs.

Also note that Walt Disney World Good Neighbor Hotels do not get any perks at all. It can get confusing because so many think they do, all it means is they are AAA approved, have some sort of shuttle (could be free or fee) ... they just meet certain standards.

There's not even a LYNX bus to this area yet. You would have to uber from the disney transportation center.
eventually when there are more stores and restaurants they will have to build a LYNX bus for the workers and people without a car.

I vote for Doubletree Disney springs because you do not have a car. Since you don't have a car they have a bus you can reserve. I was there last month the bus was great. One day was at the TTC and did not have a bus reservation. When I tried to Uber the cost was $32-$60. I ended up walking to the Poly and took the bus to Disney Springs and walked to the DoubleTree. My point is if you don't have a car the DoubleTree has free transportation options. It is a pleasant walk to Disney Springs. With covid and the recent gas issue you could possible get stuck with an expensive Uber ride.

When you say $32-$60, are you talking per ride? If so, that's crazy expensive. I was thinking Uber, but figuring more like $15-$20 per use. Am I just wrong, or is this related to rental car shortages and other issues with Covid?

Also note that Walt Disney World Good Neighbor Hotels do not get any perks at all. It can get confusing because so many think they do, all it means is they are AAA approved, have some sort of shuttle (could be free or fee) ... they just meet certain standards.

But don't they get 60-day fastpass window (if that every comes back) plus the early entry? That was my understanding...

When you say $32-$60, are you talking per ride? If so, that's crazy expensive. I was thinking Uber, but figuring more like $15-$20 per use. Am I just wrong, or is this related to rental car shortages and other issues with Covid?

But don't they get 60-day fastpass window (if that every comes back) plus the early entry? That was my understanding...
No good neighbors get nothing. It's only the Disney Spring hotels and bonnet creak that get those things.

Good Neighbor Hotels DO NOT get any perks such as 60 day FP+ or early entry. There are about 60 of them so it wouldn't be feasible to give it to them.

The Disney Springs hotels are called "Walt Disney World OFFICIAL Hotels: Disney Springs Area" which has gotten perks the last few years. It is unknown what will happen when those perks come back if it will continue. It's been a year to year agreement.

It was stated above that the Disney Springs are Good Neighbor Hotels, they are not, that is a different category. So I wanted you to know if you book a Good Neighbor Hotel, those perks will not happen. Many people get confused about this and sadly arrive to a hotel with no perks. Just wanted to clarify for you.

Good Neighbor Hotels DO NOT get any perks such as 60 day FP+ or early entry. There are about 60 of them so it wouldn't be feasible to give it to them.

The Disney Springs hotels are called "Walt Disney World OFFICIAL Hotels: Disney Springs Area" which has gotten perks the last few years. It is unknown what will happen when those perks come back if it will continue. It's been a year to year agreement.

It was stated above that the Disney Springs are Good Neighbor Hotels, they are not, that is a different category. So I wanted you to know if you book a Good Neighbor Hotel, those perks will not happen. Many people get confused about this and sadly arrive to a hotel with no perks. Just wanted to clarify for you.

OK, but one more clarification - the *Doubletree* falls into the "Walt Disney World OFFICIAL Hotels: Disney Springs Area" category correct? (i.e. with whatever benefits may reappear over the coming months.) I understand that Homewood would not have such benefits.

OK, but one more clarification - the *Doubletree* falls into the "Walt Disney World OFFICIAL Hotels: Disney Springs Area" category correct? (i.e. with whatever benefits may reappear over the coming months.) I understand that Homewood would not have such benefits.

Yes. All the Disney Springs hotels are "Official hotels".

https://disneyspringshotels.com/

I just stayed at Homewood Suites and it was really nice. I paid $114 a night and I thought it was more than worth it, but it may not be ideal in your situation without a car. The retail wasn’t built up yet, but the Walgreens looks like it’s near completion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter