• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

honest reports on Boma please?

jann1033

<font color=darkcoral>Right now I'm an inch of nat
we went for breakfast last time and i was disappointed due to the LACK of exotic food..the normal food was good but as I recall there were 2 "unusual" dishes Boboti ( not my favorite) and pap which wasn't all that unusual. we were so disappointed we didn't go to our dinner PS..

this trip i am considering trying again for dinner but since we do not normally care for buffets, I don't want to go unless the food for dinner is different, I mean "really" different from most american buffets. I can get good food other places with out the buffet aspect if it isn't since my problem is not having enough days to go to places I want to try rather than vice versa

any comments? (thought of jiko's instead but some in our party are on a tight budget so that probably would not be an option):confused:

We were disappointed. Partly because it was so hyped here. Partly because like you, we don't like buffets. Partly because the food was "ok."

I didn't find the food "very different." But we eat a variety of ethnic foods at home, from Greek to Korean to Thai to Indian.

There are lots of grains and salads on the buffet. Couscous and hummus (which are staples at our house for nearly any potluck). There was salmon and prime rib (not different at all - and "buffet" salmon and prime rib - which means sat under a warmer - not nearly as good as someone cooking it for you). The desserts were not unusual - and although much is made of the dessert buffet, IMHO, the desserts weren't very good. The big benefit was being able to try a lot of different things - because its a buffet - nine soups - you got it - five desserts, no problem. We aren't normally fans of buffets as well, and this one cinched it. The food just isn't as good or as fresh, I don't like having to get my own food.

(The soup was really good - but then I liked the bobatie).

hmm, hadn't really considered that fact... we are "exotic eaters" also so maybe that's why I didn't think it was different since it's more "normal" for us!

not a big corned beef hash fan and think that's why i didn't care for the boboti since that's what it reminded me of.

OK, Jann - here's my take, since ya asked!

Breakfast is standard American fare, as you discovered. But dinner is going to be a good blend, methinks, of very familiar stuff along with more ethnic items.

For instance, I'd not seen watermelon rind salad anywhere else. Likewise, the Moroccan seafood salad was a discovery. A lot of what is presented is soup/stew based. While the meat and seafood selections will be familiar, the sauces and seasonings put an interesting spin on things. There's a tamarind barbeque sauce they have available with the grilled meats that really excites me. Certainly in comparison with most other Disney dining spots, it will have ore of an ethnic feel. For those a little more timid, there's always chicken tenders and mac and cheese.

Often there are freshness issues with buffets, but with the volume of diners, items are replenished frequently. I've found the chefs to be a chatty lot, loving to explain the dishes. I've not tried this, but I've heard that they'll even "re-spice" a dish to the tastes of more adventurous diners.

I sure do like it - DW, while finding plenty to eat, was a little less than totally enthralled, just because of her meat-n-potato tastes. For her, we have WCC, which is fine by me, too.

I am not an adventurous eater, so I LOVE the breakfast buffet at Boma, but did not really care for some of the dishes at dinner.

Dinner is definitely more exotic than breakfast at Boma.

Carol

You must also keep in mindy..even though there are african dishes for dinner, just like all the rest of the restaurants at disney..all dishes have to be somewhat americanized..or people will complain too much..a shame, I know..but that is the way it is.

I love Boma. From the breakfast cassaroles and fresh baked pecan rolls to the savory soups and unique salads at dinner - it's all great. The hot food is hot and the cold food is cold. The servers are quick and attentive and the chefs and cooks are always busy, but are always there to help you with choices or explain what is in a dish - and they actually take pride in the food! We go to Boma every trip and I wouldn't miss it!

::yes:: ::yes::

I always thought that Boma's was a good mix of exotic food as well as some more basic stuff. I am not very adventerous, so take that for what it's worth

We normally stay away from buffets, just don't care for them....BUT, Boma is the exception. We all (me, dh, ds19, ds11) love to go to Boma every trip. I think the variety can't be beat, and everything is so tasty. I try just about anything and everything and I really can't think of one thing at Boma that I didn't like!! All the different spices (not hot) just taste so good and the desserts are the best!!

Here's my take on Boma

While dh enjoyed his meal, I hated everything on down to the infamous zebra domes *yuk*
Imo, they are so overrated, but what I don't care for others do so you really have to try it for yourself.

The other thing that surprised me was seeing a pregnant woman sitting next to us in her flower duster and houseshoes. I was wondering if this was the norm for AKL guest?

We ate there last year for dinner...my DH said he liked it..but did not love it....but my 2 girls and I did not like it at all...we are not very adventurous eaters....we like chef mickeys food.....and love ohannas.....i did not like the seasoning at all....but that is me....I would never go back.....amy

I loved Boma for breakfast. Dinner was too exotic for me. I had a hard time finding something I liked at dinner. Most of the food was way too spicy for my palate :p

<font face="times" size="+0">IMO Boma has gone downhill since when AKL first opened back in 2001.

When DBF and I first ate there 3 years ago, we were amazed at how fresh and interesting the food was. The zebra domes back then were also to die for.
3mos later we returned to try Boma for breakfast, and it was equally as good. They also served real coffee back then, and we remember being very impressed with the coffee at Boma.

What I've noticed is that since 2002, the food at Boma has gotten more bland and typical American fare. The menu always seems to be the same, and the quality of the food just isn't at the level it was before.

And they also did something to the desserts... both good and bad. They made them all smaller, bite-sized, so you can actually try a bit of each dessert. However, I don't think the zebra dome recipe works with the smaller versions. They just don't do anything for me anymore, which is a very sad thing considering how good they were before.

What's unfortunate is people going now have heard all the hype from when Boma was a new restaurant, and obviously with the current state of the restaurant, a visit to Boma now becomes a great disappointment. :( </font>

As far as Disney buffets go, I think Boma was the most exotic for dinner. Breakfast is America fare pretty much anywhere you go. I can tell you that compared to other Disney buffets, say Crystal Palace or Trails End, it has much more variety. If you are really looking for exotic though, you should stick with standard table service at Epcot and some of the resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter