• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Honeymoon Dining Reviews Part III--AKL and Artist Point

MissyPrissy

Mouseketeer
Okay on to the next chapter of Disney Dining!! We woke up late...again...and so did not have breakfast before we went to Animal Kingdom. We thought we could stop at Tusker House once we got into the park b/c they DO serve breakfast! (Note to anyone who wants to avoid arguing with their significant other while at WDW...EAT BEFORE YOU LEAVE YOUR RESORT!!!) It was SWELTERING this day and just grody humid. We went to Tusker House right away and found that they were NOT serving breakfast until 9:30. It was 8:45. I don't think that the park was even officially open yet! So we decide to go ride some stuff and then come back. Well it didn't happen that way and after many wrong turns and getting lost several times and some VERY un Disney language and a few tears...we found ourselves at Flame Tree BBQ. DH decided that for the sake of our marriage we would be eating there. Foot down. :rolleyes: (It's SO cute when he thinks he is in charge!)

Okay So...we both had the Smoked Pork Sandwich. It came with baked beans and corn on the cob. I also had a bottle of water and the Frozen Lemonade for Dessert. DH had the Chocolate cake...of course...and he thinks I'M the one who doesn't try new things!!! :rotfl:
100_1245.jpg

We both really liked the food. Even if we hadn't been starving to death, it would have been great! The baked beans were a little spicy-ish, but good. Corn on the Cob was a bit mushy, but still okay. DH of course loved his chocolate cake. The Frozen lemonade was great for the hot day! I will say that if you are looking for a place to eat out of the weather, do not go here as all the seating is outside. (Oh and they also do not have straws or lids for soda cups as they can harm the animals...some moms seemed very annoyed at this, so plan ahead if you have little ones who tend to spill!) Also be forewarned, you WILL be stalked by very insistent DUCKS! They are like ill trained dogs who are begging at the table! :rotfl: I would think a duck would get a VERY upset tummy if they ate BBQ anything...a bit more spicey than grass and other...duck food. One duck plopped his feathery little bum down at my feet and made very quiet quack noises. He took off in a hurry though when my husband arrived at the table!

Overall this food really hits the spot. Especially if a you are a BBQ fan.

Our next report worthy meal was Artist Point!! I was SO EXCITED for this ADR. I had heard such wonderful things about it...and it did NOT disappoint! This was our "date" night while we were at Disney! DH got all spiffed up...even SHAVED...put on cologne...too cute! He even spent a half hour trying to get a knot out of the chain of a necklace I wanted to wear(got all tangled on the flight)...he was very cute about it!! Anyhow...after I found the heels that went with my very cute skirt we were off!! We arrived at WL early (after bumping into some people that DH treats at his practice in NEW JERSEY...small world much?!) and walked around for a bit. We decided to check in a little early and we would wait in the bar, but they seated us as soon as we checked in. We had a lovely table next to a window and our menus said "Congratulations on your honeymoon" on the bottom!!! Very nice!!

Our waiter brought us some very good bread and we ordered some wonderful Willamette Valley white wine along with our appetizers...I got the Smoky Portobello Soup (with Roasted Shiitakes and Chive Oil). This soup was absolutely fantastic. I grew up on Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup...the Smoky Portobello blew that out of the water!! :rotfl: Amazing...
100_1356.jpg

DH had the Crispy Venison Rolls. He said they were good. I took his word for it!
100_1357.jpg

Now as this is a review of the overall dining experience I feel I must report this next bit. About half way through our appetizers, a very large group arrived. About four sets of parents and nearly 10 kids, (all looked well scrubbed and dressed in their best)...probably between the ages of 2 and 11-ish. They were seated at a very large table in the middle of the room, right near us. The parents immediately went to one end of the table and shooed the kids to the other end. There is one word to describe this scene...BEDLAM. Four of the boys all dashed for the same chair. The one that got the chair was promptly pulled out of the chair. He started HOWLING. The other three boys continued to fight over that chair until it got knocked over...KNOCKED OVER. That chair hit a little girl that was sitting next to it so she started screaming, the boys were shouting and there were cries of "MOMMY I WANT THAT CHAIR". The noise was unbelieveable. My husband and I couldn't hear each other across the table. The parents did absolutely NOTHING. They were looking on with bemused expressions and one woman kept rolling her eyes at her boys as if to say "Oh boys...how silly of you..." The wait staff was standing around looking shocked and unsure of how to handle the situation. It was clearly a time for the parents to step in. Finally one of the "dads" got up and righted the chair. The boys all found a place to sit...the noise didn't lessen at all. One loud little boy kept screeching to his mother "WHAT CAN KIDS EAT HERE AT THIS STUPID PLACE?!" He said this about 10 times in a row until another child told him to shut up. These kids didn't talk, they shouted and screeched. The adults just ignored them...they were discussing how much wine they could drink b/c of the free dining. One by one all the tables around the chaos were asking to be reseated. DH and I were the fourth couple to be reseated. The wait staff was very apologetic. At least one of the parents at that table had the sense to look a little embarrassed as she realized that people were picking up their drinks and half finished food and moving away from THEIR table. Not one table around the noise stayed in that section of the restaurant. They were totally alone when all was said and done.

Now I understand that WDW is a place for families. I understand that kids make noise and they forget to use indoor voices sometimes...My DH has two kids, we both work with kids, but COME ON. There is a line. Those children were so beyond out of control it was disgusting. They continued to shout and scream until one of the waiters actually took it upon himself to ask the children to please use indoor voices. Finally one of the Dads got up and told the kids to "QUIET DOWN", but the evening continued to be punctuated with "DON'T!" "STOP THAHT" "MOMMY!!!! HE TOOK MY NAPKIN"...followed by a furious "SHHHHHHHHH" from the whole table which then became a game... one child would shout and then they'd all hiss SHHHHHHHHHH and laugh hysterically.

The manager came to each table that was moved and apologized for the noise, as did our waiter several times. He said that there was an inordinate amount of people coming to AP that didn't seem to be used to "signature" dining etiquette. He was sort of joking...but not really. So please people, if you are going to take your kids to a place that is more formal than other dining options at Disney, make sure they are well behaved and reasonably quiet. We are all here to enjoy...lets not allow your enjoyment to trample on everyone elses good time. No matter what you may think your kids are not the center of the universe and they don't have the right to be rowdy just b/c it's Disney. (which is what we kept hearing..."It's Disney Bob, leave them alone" :rolleyes: )

Anyhow, public service announcement over...flame suit firmly in place...on to the next course!

We both ordered the Hatfield Pork Chop (on Tillamook Cheddar Mac & Cheese with Maytag Crust) It was the most heavenly bit of food I've ever had the pleasure to eat. It was perfect. The Tillmook Mac and Cheese was to die for!!! The whole meal was cooked to perfection. Even the noise was drowned out by this wonderful food!!! FABULOUS!!!!
100_1358.jpg

I had been making it a point to order something different from DH most of the time so we'd be able to try a bit of everything, but that just didn't happen on this night. We both ordered the Valrhona Chocolate Truffle Cake with Soarin' Honey-Blood Orange Coulis. (sorry the pic is a little dark) It was beyond any chocolate experience I've ever had. I wasn't so sure about the blood orange coulis, but it was wonderful! I wasn't overly fond of the marshmellow addition, but it was okay.
100_1359.jpg

The only little hiccup with this is that when I took a bite, I bit into what I thought was a walnut but I wasn't sure. The menu didn't say there were walnuts in the cake. I am allergic to walnuts and pecans. Very allergic. DH called the waiter over and asked the waiter if there were walnuts in the cake. He wasn't sure but when he heard that I was allergic to walnuts there was a sudden flurry of activity. He took my plate immediately. Suddenly the manager was at the table with the Chef in tow!! The Chef told me that the crust was a hazelnut brittle and had no walnuts. He wanted to know if I had any problems with hazelnuts or hazelnut oils. They both seemed quite concerned. I assured them that I was fine with hazelnuts and I had been pretty sure right away that they were not walnuts as I had not started wheezing! The Chef commented that the kitchen should have been told before hand that I had a nut allergy. (They DID ask when we arrived) But I think that all the chaos may have interfered with message relays...perhaps they couldn't hear very well in the kitchen either! ;) I really appreciated their concern though. Another little Disney touch!! The chef asked if I would like a different dessert. I told him no, the chocolate cake would be fine. At that point though it had gotten late and we wanted to make Wishes at MK, so they wrapped up my cake for us to take home!! DH and I shared his cake. (the slice is HUGE, he'd have been sick had he tried to eat the whole thing!)We actually ended up seeing Wishes from the boat from WL to MK...even though we couldn't hear the music, it was a wonderful way to end the evening. The boat captain ask if would be okay with everyone to stop the boat so that we could get a good view of the fireworks! I love Wishes!!! :lovestruc

Overall, the food at Artist Point is world class. The wait staff is wonderful and very attentive. They try to accommodate everyone...*ahem* and make it a point to continue to check on your comfort throughout the meal. I would suggest Artist Point as a MUST DO over every other place WDW!!! Even with all the chaos, we loved every second of our meal!!! Don't miss it!!! :love: :love: :love:

Up next Part IV--Eating at MGM!!!

Thanks for your reviews, especially AP...I would really like to give it a try sometime.

And thanks for your candor about the unexpected "entertainment" during your dinner. There is nothing wrong with expecting people to behave appropriately or with consideration towards others. :goodvibes

Thanks for the reviews. It makes you wonder what those folks idea of parenting is. :sad2:

Yeah it was a sad commentary on these times...although there were several families there with young kids and they were all VERY well behaved. An older couple who moved just before we did actually went over to a table with young kids and complimented the children and their parents for having such wonderful behavior and told them how proud they should be of their kids. The little girls just beamed! I think that situation was pretty extreme...but it made me even more afraid of the current "Let them do whatever they please because they are children" trend. :rolleyes:

thanks for reading!!! :sunny:

We've run into the poorly behaving children issue before. Our biggest problem is our friends' children. We have some friends we used to run around with a lot and they let their daughter do anything she wanted in a restaurant. We've always expected good behavior from our children and for the most part gotten it. It was hard to explain to our children why they had to sit quietly and eat while their friend could run around rampant throwing dishes, eating off dirty tables and screaming at the top of her lungs. It was embarassing and each time I sincerely hoped that everyone in the restaurant realized she wasn't mine. Dh got to where he would correct her himself and eventually we avoided going out with them. The parents' rationale was that she was too young (my child knew how to be have in a restaurant from 2 on) and that she was so cute that nobody would mind. They even said that if other children were doing what she was, they'd be annoyed, but since she was theirs it didn't bother them :sad2: .

My biggest problem is that they are putting the child in the position of people not wanting to be around them. I don't want my kids to be complete people pleasers, but I do want others to enjoy their company. Whew, that feels better. The only part I did not agree with is the fact that those with free dining did not know how to act in signature restaurants. Some of the worst kids I've seen in restaurants are with well to do parents. Socioeconomics don't mean kids will behave or won't. If they know how to act in Denny's they'll know how to act in California Grill. It's all about respecting the people around you so that everyone can enjoy their meals.

I'm enjoying your reviews...keep em up!

Every time we eat at Artist Point, I ALWAYS get the Crispy Venison Rolls & the Porkchop with Mac N Cheese! It is SO SO SO GOOD!!!! When we ate there in June, I didn't even need to look at the menu - I knew what I wanted!!!

And, I shared DH's dessert (cobbler) which was also very good!!!

(I also agree with kids misbehaving in restaurants. I don't know why some parents think that's acceptable.)

I just wanted to let people know that I was not implying that it was those taking advantage of the free dining that didn't know how to behave in restaurants. The only reason I knew these people were doing free DDP is b/c they kept talking about it...loudly. I don't think a complete lack of manners or socially inappropriate behavior has anything to do with whether or not you are eating somewhere for free or not. (though many have implied as much on these very boards)

It seems to have so much more to do with people feeling entitled to behave in any way they want to. I am a social worker and I deal with children and their parents every day that have behavioral issues. "They're kids...let them act like it" is what I often hear...Like what? People who have zero respect for themselves,authority, or those around them?! :furious: We are raising future adults...and kids who act like that as adults get arrested for disturbing the peace!!!

Anyhow...just wanted to clear that up. Free dining ROCKS!!! :teeth:

Thanks for the wonderful pictures, I am now leaning toward that porkchop.

As for your entertainment; I would have changed tables if I was in McDonalds. I have no tolerance for letting your children run wild in restaraunts or other public places.

We were at a discount clothing store yesterday and about five chilldren were running and screaming in and around the racks. One child came around a rack and slammed in to my cart. He looked at me as I was at fault. I gave him my best mother look and said (loud enough that his parents could hear) "That wouldn't have happened if you were weren't walking, now would it."

Glad the entertainment didn't totally ruin your meal.

YIKES! What an experience. I would have been so :furious: if that happened to me! Thanks for the reviews though! It sounds like the service at Artist Point is top notch :thumbsup2

Fanastic review! Um, I'm maybe a little willing to be a tiny bit adventurous and possibly think about considering trying something different (did I qualify that enough? ;)) Could you please ask your DH what the venison was like? I mean, shreds, cubes, were there vegetables in the spring rolls and if so, were there more of those than of the meat? Thanks! Oh, and thank you for the GREAT pictures in all your reviews!

DH said that the springrolls were like eating venison taquito. It was that consistency. It wasn't big chunks of meat. It was finely ground. He said they were VERY good though! Give them a try! I may try them if I ever have the opportunity to again...but I was very into my smoky portobello soup at the time!!! :rotfl:

It's unfortunate when you see a child misbehaving without parents doing anything about it. It really can fire me up. My children are appalled by this as well. EVERYONE in the restaurant should be able to enjoy themselves.

Thanks for the reviews.

AP is not designed well at all for noise control. The high ceiling, wood floor and BIG open space makes it especially noisey. I know there are bad kids but there are also bad adults. I personally burn up when we are at a restaurant and the table next to us tells graphic stories or swears a blue streak.

Oh I totally agree...I was shocked on several occasions at the behavior from adults around us...honestly I was more disgusted with the parents of those loud children as it was very clear that they were very used to being ignored which is why they had to shout and repeat themselves. They were starved for some adult interaction...intervention on this occasion. I have never in my life seen a mother sit on the other side of a very large table from a child who was barely a toddler...she kept saying to the little girls on either side of the baby "Give her a cracker!" I wanted to get up and intervene myself and I think in any other situation I might have, but it was such an odd scene and everyone in the place was sort of stunned. Then we got up and moved. I still shake my head at the memory.

And you are right, the high ceilings in the restaurant only amplified the extreme noise. It was bouncing all over the place.

Maybe AP should make a "quiet room" with soundproofing for unruly families!! :rotfl:

Even now though, I keep thinking...it was loud but DANG that mac and cheese was GOOD!!! :rotfl2: :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter