Hong Kong Disneyland and Disneyland Paris TR

Totally agree you are not beening rude or slanderous same thing happen to us it felt like they were going to miss out or something, the pushing and shoving was unbelievable that is the real downside of HKDL. Question would you go back ? We are thinking about it but not until 2015 when all the work is finished. The marching band is the best they are so entertaining spent time following them around and did you see the guy on the piano on wheels he is such a nice person.

I'm loving the HK report! Love the special moment that you had with the marching band!

I've got to tell you queenie, my 7 year old is obsessed with your TR! He's sat with me the last few nights and pored over the photos. He's now intent on going tp DLP, mainly to see Mickey in his Incredibles outfit As soon as I picked him up from school today he asked to go on disboards and look at queenies photos of DLP! :)

You have a fan! Lol
Awww...thank you. :blush:
They aren't perfect but these are all the photos from the Incredibles part of the Castle show.

This is a special "New Generation" show ... their current celebration. So whether you'll see him in this outfit in the future... :confused3
But it was cute :goodvibes

167.jpg

168.jpg

169.jpg

170.jpg

171.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

174.jpg

175.jpg

Totally agree you are not beening rude or slanderous same thing happen to us it felt like they were going to miss out or something, the pushing and shoving was unbelievable that is the real downside of HKDL. Question would you go back ? We are thinking about it but not until 2015 when all the work is finished. The marching band is the best they are so entertaining spent time following them around and did you see the guy on the piano on wheels he is such a nice person.

Would I go back...
I never plan to make a special trip to Hong Kong. Asia just isn't my kind of place and the cost of flights just to Hong Kong are very expensive.
If I got an included Hong Kong stopover I would consider it.

I definitely DO want to see Mystic Manor after it is complete. But I'm not in a screaming hurry.

The Grand Mouse is Incredible all by himself....not sure I could get used to seeing him in the Incredibles outfit. You can hardly recognise him with the mask....:cool2:

Hong Kong Disneyland only has Adventureland, Tomorrowland and Fantasyland (as well as Main Street USA.) So the number of attractions and rides is limited. As you can see it was a quiet day, however I had made a decision to go to a particular ride first. One found here in Tomorrowland

HKDLTomorrowland.jpg

HKDLTomorrowland1.jpg

HKDLTomorrowlandStarlinerDiner.jpg

Autopia.

HKDLAutopia.jpg

HKDLAutopia1.jpg

You see Autopia is notorious as one of the slowest loading rides at Disney parks and it is no different here. There weren’t many people in front of me yet I still waited 10-15 minutes.
The first thing that struck me was there was no smell. You know the GLORIOUS petrol fumes rising from Autopia at WDW and DL? Well sadly not here. Here the cars are Electric…party poopers…I was disappointed.

Here is where the queue could be winding

HKDLAutopia2.jpg

Height restrictions

HKDLAutopia4.jpg

The cars themselves…

HKDLAutopia5.jpg

HKDLAutopia3.jpg

Eventually we were off and running…

Autopiadriving1.jpg

briefly…

Autopiadriving2.jpg

I found controlling the speed of these cars different and seemed to ‘breakdown’ just after departing as I came to a complete stop by accident.

Autopiadriving3.jpg

But I was soon on my way and got the hang of it
There are different tracks that break apart at one point but only one was open. I had a feeling one track is a bit bumpy (on purpose) but it was all smooth sailing for me.

Autopiadriving4.jpg

Autopiadriving5.jpg

Autopiadriving6.jpg

Autopiadriving7.jpg

Autopiadriving8.jpg

Autopiadriving9.jpg

Autopiadriving10.jpg

Autopiadriving11.jpg

AutopiaDriving12.jpg

AutopiaDriving13.jpg

AutopiaDriving14.jpg

AutopiaDriving15.jpg

AutopiaDriving16.jpg

After my ride into the future in my Electric car I went over to Space Mountain. I stopped to snap a photo of my mate Buzz…

BuzzLightyear.jpg

Before spotting the MUPPET MOBILE LAB!!!
I have NO idea what they were saying because everything was in Chinese but it was very cool.

MuppetMobileLab1.jpg

MuppetMobileLab2.jpg

MuppetMobileLab3.jpg

After Beaker and Honeydew departed I continued to the only Disney Mountain in the area.
I grabbed my souvenir fastpass and walked into the standby queue for my 5 min wait watching this twit flap and point…

SpaceMountainintro1.jpg

SpaceMountainintro2.jpg

SpaceMountainintro3.jpg

We then proceeded through the queuing system into the loading area. This I was really impressed with. Very dark and well themed. One thing that has always been an issue with DL and WDW versions is the level of darkness etc.
These don’t do it justice but these photos give you the idea

SpaceMountain1.jpg

SpaceMountain2.jpg

SpaceMountain3.jpg

SpaceMountain4.jpg

SpaceMountain5.jpg

SpaceMountain7.jpg

SpaceMountain6.jpg

The ride itself is much the same as the renovated Disneyland version. You will see the car vehicles are the same.

The main difference is that this is ‘purpose built’ with the latest ride technology. A problem with Disneyland is although it is thrilling and smooth now. It keeps turning the same direction most of the time.
This Hong Kong version turns left and right. It is a bit darker. Plus it is also better themed. You get the floating planets in there and laser lighting, which does make it a bit ‘lighter’ in parts, but it is still a dark ride.

It is basically the same experience as found in Disneyland now though.

So, Autopia and Space....

I'm guessing from your write-up that aside from the twit, you prefer the HKSM version over the others.

What about Autopia? Mind you...I'll go on Autopia; but I'm not a big fan of this attraction.

So, Autopia and Space....

I'm guessing from your write-up that aside from the twit, you prefer the HKSM version over the others.

What about Autopia? Mind you...I'll go on Autopia; but I'm not a big fan of this attraction.

With Space Mountain yes HKDL is a bit better. But I still adore Disneyland Anaheim Space Mountain. They have done a superb job in there and it is hard to fault.
They are pretty much on par

Autopia is about nostalgia for me. As a child driving was always a desire. I was hooked on dodgem cars. Autopia is a dream for kids as you get to drive.

For this reason as nice as it was going on this Autopia the lack of the classic petrol cars it just was a bit clinical. It isn't a ride I would wait long for.
I don't really want to wait more than 20 or 30mins for it at WDW or DL. But this one I really wouldn't go to if it were busy.
The best part was the view back over Tomorrowland. It was sort of like what you get from the TTA.

:wave:

I am a bit late joining in but I am here now! It looks like you had a wonderful time. You are so lucky going to 2 different parks.

Some of the pictures of Disney Paris brought back memories from when I was a child going there. Especially the photos of the Labyrinth. I loved that so much when we were there. I wish WDW had something similar :ccat:

Can't wait for more updates.

After riding Space Mountain I went to see another land...
Adventureland

Adventurelandentry.jpg

Adventureland in Hong Kong Disneyland is sadly lacking in rides. But it comes with a unique atmosphere…for an Adventureland. But an atmosphere reminiscent of another park – Animal Kingdom.
As I walked through Adventureland it had a very lush feeling. Like that which is replicated in the Asia part of Animal Kingdom. The surrounding mountains assist in evoking this feeling of enclosure. The overcast weather even more so. The land is very small with only a Jungle Cruise, which surrounds the Island on which Tarzan’s Treehouse resides. As well as the show “Festival of the Lion King.”
Adventureland1.jpg

Tarzan’s Treehouse

Adventureland2.jpg

Adventureland3.jpg

Adventureland7.jpg

Adventureland6.jpg

Raft to Tarzan’s Treehouse…complete with those traditional controls for a raft.

Adventureland4.jpg

The Jungle Cruise going around the Treehouse.

Adventureland5.jpg

Adventureland

Adventureland8.jpg

Adventureland9.jpg

Adventureland9a.jpg

Adventureland10.jpg

Adventureland11.jpg

While I was in Adventureland I decided to get an early lunch. I had had a bit of a look at menus as I walked around Tomorrowland and noticed a running theme. Lots of Asian food from various parts of Asia. There was more South East Asian food, Northern Asian food and Indian food. There was also some Japanese food. What there was a distinct LACK of was Western food. But given I had actually not had any Chinese food since arriving in Hong Kong I decided to go Chinese.
At one of the Counter Service places in Adventureland I found Lemongrass Chicken.

Lunch.jpg

When I placed the order a chicken was whipped out from somewhere and chopped in front of me. The rice added. A broth served. Then I got Veggies on the side.

In addition I got some orange juice, which came in a Hong Kong Disneyland stamped bottle and seemed pretty close to freshly squeezed to me. I was certainly happy with that.

As for the meal it was pretty good. I can’t remember how much it cost but I likely have the receipt somewhere. It was certainly fresh.

That chicken in your picture looks like it was cooked in soya sauce. Did it have a lemongrass flavour?

BTW - That's my kind of meal. :thumbsup2

I'm getting the feeling that HKDL is kinda.......small.....

That chicken in your picture looks like it was cooked in soya sauce. Did it have a lemongrass flavour?

BTW - That's my kind of meal. :thumbsup2
It definitely had soy sauce on it.
I picked it because it was really mild. I have a very sensitive stomach, and with jetlag and a cold I stopped in here because I knew this would be mild.

It did have a lemongrass flavour though.
The broth was to flavour the rice.

I'm getting the feeling that HKDL is kinda.......small.....
::yes::

I managed to fill the day though with....errrr....shopping :blush: :rolleyes1
More specifically shopping for tins of pins to try and collect the sets of pins and to use the duplicates to trade.
I hadn't realised they did pin trading here so while having lunch I opened and sorted my initial pin purchases and organised myself to trade. This was an ongoing event during the day.

I am a bit late joining in but I am here now! It looks like you had a wonderful time. You are so lucky going to 2 different parks.

Some of the pictures of Disney Paris brought back memories from when I was a child going there. Especially the photos of the Labyrinth. I loved that so much when we were there. I wish WDW had something similar :ccat:

Can't wait for more updates.
Welcome aboard :cool1:

I adore the Labyrinth. It doesn't take up much space but it's so much fun :thumbsup2

Your photos of HK are great by the way!

Love Tarzan's treehouse! I like the look of HKDL and sort of glad (for the time being anyway...) that HKDL is kinda small, because we only have 1 day to do it in! My parents will be glad of the "more" Asian offerings foodwise.

Here's to hoping that "adorable" half chinese children will cut it for being chosen to be family of the day...

Your photos of HK are great by the way!

Love Tarzan's treehouse! I like the look of HKDL and sort of glad (for the time being anyway...) that HKDL is kinda small, because we only have 1 day to do it in! My parents will be glad of the "more" Asian offerings foodwise.

Here's to hoping that "adorable" half chinese children will cut it for being chosen to be family of the day...

I'll be posting more of the tree from when I went there.

As for your children they are absolutely PRECIOUS!! I'm sure you're in with a very good chance. Certainly if you are there on a quiet day. :thumbsup2
The Grandparents might be good too! Multi generations ;)
Just hide DH :lmao::lmao:

They seemed to do the choosing about 20mins before park opening?? Maybe even earlier??
Mickey and Minnie drove out at 9:45am and they were already within the grounds and ready.

There are PLENTY of asian offerings. There was a place in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland with sections of Dim Sum, Sushi, BBQ etc. I think...

Then in Adventureland another place had this out the front :rotfl2:
I was pissing myself laughing walking past. I've NEVER seen anything like that at a Disney park :lmao:

LunchDisplay.jpg

I'll be posting more of the tree from when I went there.

As for your children they are absolutely PRECIOUS!! I'm sure you're in with a very good chance. Certainly if you are there on a quiet day. :thumbsup2
The Grandparents might be good too! Multi generations ;)
Just hide DH :lmao::lmao:

Thank you for the vote of confidence! I shall remember to tell everyone to look cute and ask DH to walk away for a little bit. As much as I love him, he couldn't look cute even if he tried...

They seemed to do the choosing about 20mins before park opening?? Maybe even earlier??
Mickey and Minnie drove out at 9:45am and they were already within the grounds and ready.

There are PLENTY of asian offerings. There was a place in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland with sections of Dim Sum, Sushi, BBQ etc. I think...

Then in Adventureland another place had this out the front :rotfl2:
I was pissing myself laughing walking past. I've NEVER seen anything like that at a Disney park :lmao:

LunchDisplay.jpg

Ah...only in Asia!

Was wondering, what are you going to do next now that you've been to all 5 castles?

Was wondering, what are you going to do next now that you've been to all 5 castles?

Disney Dream Cruise :cloud9:

But parkwise WDW is definitely the next 'aim'
Like PrincessinOz says in her TR it is a bit saddening the way DL is at the moment with all the work going on at Disneyland.
I'm most upset about DCA. I'm heartbroken about the removal of the California letters :sad1: so I don't 'plan' to go back until more work is complete. To see the 'new' vision for the park.

There is still work going on at WDW but with 4 parks and 2 water parks there is still plenty of magic to go around. And I ADORE EPCOT.
Ideally I'd like to be at EPCOT for it's 30th Birthday celebrations. :cool1:

But I'll take any opportunity to go to any Disney park. :rotfl2:

After Lunch I headed over to Fantasyland.
On the way I spotted the entry to Toy Storyland…well…I assume that’s what this means

ToyStoryLand.jpg

ToyStoryLand1.jpg

Right behind Pixie Hollow Meet and Greet I spotted yet another mountain…I wonder if Disney plans to carve Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain out of the natural Mountains?

AdventurelandFantasyland12.jpg

I didn’t stop for any more photos as I passed through Fantasyland as I was on a mission to see “The Golden Mickeys”

Now any cruisers out there will have seen the full show of this. I saw it on the Disney Wonder. But I was quite pleased with the 1/2hr version. Complete with Cantonese spiel.
The performance was polished. The songs were all entirely in English.
There is a translation screen running on the Right Hand Side in English, and on the Left Hand Side I THINK (don’t quote me) in Mandarin.

I took photos during the show and given the literal point and shoot guesswork it isn’t too bad. I wasn’t in an ideal position for photographing but they are a nice memory prompt and give you an idea what is in it. For those who have seen the longer show you can see what was left out.
The scenes included were – Toy Story, Hunchback of Notre Dame (no photos of that as the guy swings in darkness), Lilo and Stitch leading in The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. Followed by the Finale.

TheGoldenMickeys1.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys2.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys3.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys4.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys5.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys6.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys7.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys8.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys9.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys10.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys11.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys12.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys13.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys14.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys15.jpg

TheGoldenMickeys16.jpg

As you've seen it was a very quiet day. However, it is at a show you get forced into the pushing and shoving mess.
Especially being on my own I was a single person in a mass of people. It wasn't too bad waiting. I think I waited 20mins before getting let in?
But once the doors were opened it was a free for all.
I've been at WDW right before Christmas and I've been in crowds. Yes there is always shoving and the squeeze into the doors before getting through. But it was just more uncomfortable. More intense. I purposely placed myself about half way down on the side of a row. Decent view without too many tall people and quick escape.

I just can't IMAGINE what this place is like when it is crowded :sad2:

Another lovely update with great pictures. I had wondered what the live shows would look like with Asian performers...but it seems to work really well.

I'm holding out for at least 2012 before heading back to DLR. Perhaps it might be time for us to plan an Aussie Dis-Meet there....:idea:

Another lovely update with great pictures. I had wondered what the live shows would look like with Asian performers...but it seems to work really well.

I'm holding out for at least 2012 before heading back to DLR. Perhaps it might be time for us to plan an Aussie Dis-Meet there....:idea:
Yeah it is interesting. But it did work. They still get caucasian for the face roles where it does make a difference.

Like the Marching Band they are more 'Western' Asians if that makes sense...being Hong Kong Chinese.

I always feel a bit odd talking about this but my friends from HK get what I mean...as they are similar. They're Chinese and speak faultless Cantonese. But they are also very Westernised.

When the Golden Mickeys was over I managed to get out quickly and headed straight into It’s a Small World. This is essentially when Golden Mickeys exits into. So if you are late out probably don’t bother. But as I was one of the first I got in and only waited about 5 mins. Most of which was because there was a disabled boat passing through which they don’t use unless required so we had to wait for it to clear the system.

ItsaSmallWorld.jpg

When this first opened I remember hearing it was essentially the same as Disneyland but there were 3 additional dialects of Chinese added to the music?
The interior was definitely just as bright and there were Disney Characters. However some of the characters were different. For example instead of Alice you had Prince Charming and Cinderella.
I did film the ride through so I’ll get some photo capture at some point.

I then walked through Fantasyland a bit having a look at the shops and getting some more pin tins before finding a spot for the parade.
I also took a few photos

The Back of the Castle

HKDLCastleBack1.jpg

HKDLCastleBack2.jpg

HKDLCastleBack3.jpg

HKDLCastleBack4.jpg

Meet and Greet with Tangled right near the back of the Castle

TangledMeetandGreet.jpg

Royal Banquet Hall is where you can get food. As you will see this is where there are stations with Dim Sum, Sushi amongst other things.

RoyalBanquetHall1.jpg

RoyalBanquetHall2.jpg

RoyalBanquetHall3.jpg

Up next…the Parade

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter