Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Tokyo Disney, Universal Studios Japan and Oct 2018 PTR*Update 8/28*

SPAM

DIS Veteran
Hello and welcome to my pre trip report and planning thread. I am working on this because I have a lot to plan and people in the real world think it's weird so I need my DISers! I am currently working on saving up money, time off work and airline miles.

Who: Me, I'm Ashleigh and I am 30.
This trip will be a solo trip and my 2nd international solo trip. In spring 2016 I took a 3 week trip to Beijing, Shanghai, Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Tokyo. It was mostly a cultural/tourist attraction trip with some theme parks thrown in. Originally Shanghai Disney was supposed to be open but obviously it got pushed back and opened a few weeks after I was there. I was able to go shopping at Shanghai Disneytown and stare longingly through the gates :( I did end up doing 1 day in Universal Studios Japan in Osaka and 3 days in Tokyo Disney (however staying in central Tokyo). I thought about going possibly to Europe or somewhere like that for my next big trip but I realized I wasn't excited about it so I decided to do what makes me happy and seeing all Disney parks is my goal. After this trip the only one left will be Disneyland Paris.

When: The plan is to go October 2018. My current plan is as follows
Oct 8-Fly from Ohio to Hong Kong.
Oct 9-13 Hong Kong Disney and a few sightseeing days.
Oct 14-18 Shanghai Disney
Oct 19-21 Osaka with 2 days at Universal Studios Japan.
Oct 22-26 Tokyo Disney
Oct 27-Fly home from Tokyo.

I have been saving up money since I got back from my trip last year, I have a special travel account that I direct deposit a little from each paycheck into. The hope is also to pay as little as possible for my airfare. I got almost all of my last trip airfare paid through miles and am hoping to implement the same plan. I am utilizing credit card sign on bonuses to rack up miles.
Flights would be:
1. Columbus to Hong Kong
2. Hong Kong to Shanghai
3. Shanghai to Osaka
*Plan on taking bullet train from Osaka to Tokyo.
4. Tokyo to Columbus

I am researching costs of trip and hotel options. I would love to be able to stay onsite for all the resorts but financially that is outside my budget. The only park I plan on staying onsite is Shanghai Disneyland Toy Story Hotel. For Hong Kong I am probably going to get a hotel convenient to the metro station in Lantau. For Universal Studios Japan if I can get a good deal I might be able to work out staying at an official hotel, if not then there is an affordable one that is still within walking distance that I have found. For Tokyo Disney I am hoping to be able to afford an "official" hotel, one that isn't owned by Disney but is on the resort grounds and able to get to park by monorail or shuttle bus.

So that's it for now, will you help me plan my trip and get excited with my along the way?

Here are some pics of my day at Tokyo Disneyland from June 2016. I can't wait to have more days to explore on the next trip :rainbow:

DSCN0745.JPG
Walking from the metro to Tokyo Disney Resort. DSCN0746.JPG
Opening area for Tokyo Disneyland. DSCN0751.JPG
Tomorrowland and Monster's Inc Hide and Go Seek, I really wish we could get this one!DSCN0756.JPG I loved eating here at the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall, I got a dessert on an Alice and Wonderland plate that I could bring home. The theming here is awesome.
ODSCN0758.JPG Outside It's A Small World.DSCN0768.JPG Inside the lobby of the line in Monster's Inc Hide and Go Seek. DSCN0772.JPG Another picture of the entrance to Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall. DSCN0792.JPG Here's my feed bag, I mean refillable popcorn bucket. This is like the coolest thing in Tokyo, everyone just walks around with crazy popcorn buckets. I bought the cheapest one so it wasn't a cool shape or anything but maybe next time. I saw probably an hour wait or the R2D2 bucket.DSCN0798.JPG The "Main St" of Tokyo Disneyland (or World Bazaar)DSCN0802.JPG The entrance to Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek.

I have a lot more pictures to share so stay tuned!

I would love to do a similar trip someday! I went to Shanghai DL last summer at the end of a two week trip to Shanghai, Yangzhou and Beijing. It was the best trip I've ever taken! We stayed at both SDL hotels and loved them both. I hope you have an amazing trip and look forward to hearing your plans!

I would love to do a similar trip someday! I went to Shanghai DL last summer at the end of a two week trip to Shanghai, Yangzhou and Beijing. It was the best trip I've ever taken! We stayed at both SDL hotels and loved them both. I hope you have an amazing trip and look forward to hearing your plans!
I would love any tips you have to offer! My trip last year I did Beijing, Shanghai, Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Tokyo. It was so disappointing to get so close to Shanghai Disney but not being able to go in, I was literally at the gates :( It was a lot of moving around but it was awesome. My favorite part (aside from the theme parks) was the Great Wall!
IMG_0313.JPG

I would suggest more than one park day for SDL. I was so bummed that Pirates was down the entire day when we went. There were also thunderstorms that afternoon, which shut down a couple of rides. Also, make sure you can get fp's - seems like a no brainer, but their system for doing that seems to be different. I can't tell you how since we never got any, and they may have changed it by now - but the lines were LONG so fp's will be a big help. Otherwise, the park is awesome and the pathways are so wide that it doesn't feel crowded even when the wait time are really long.

Oh, and I would make time to check out the two Disney hotels there if you aren't staying at them. The SDL hotel is gorgeous and I thought the Toy Story hotel was very cute. I did a TR if you're interested: https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-whirlwind-trip-to-shanghai-disneyland.3535939/

The Great Wall was amazing - it was similarly empty when we went and we had blue skies also! Loved it!! Also, the Temple of Heaven in Beijing was beautiful. :)

I would suggest more than one park day for SDL. I was so bummed that Pirates was down the entire day when we went. There were also thunderstorms that afternoon, which shut down a couple of rides. Also, make sure you can get fp's - seems like a no brainer, but their system for doing that seems to be different. I can't tell you how since we never figured it out, and they may have changed it by now - but the lines were LONG so fp's will be a big help. Otherwise, the park is awesome and the pathways are so wide that it doesn't feel crowded even when the wait time are really long.

Oh, and I would make time to check out the two Disney hotels there if you aren't staying at them. The SDL hotel is gorgeous and I thought the Toy Story hotel was very cute. I did a TR if you're interested: https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-whirlwind-trip-to-shanghai-disneyland.3535939/
Thanks, I'll have to check it out! I was planning on going to the park like 4 days, is that ridiculous? They don't have to be full days or anything.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out! I was planning on going to the park like 4 days, is that ridiculous? They don't have to be full days or anything.

Four days is plenty - maybe you could spend parts of two of the days at the resorts. The SDL hotel has a wonderful character buffet - man, that hotel is gorgeous, I just loved it!

Four days is plenty - maybe you could spend parts of two of the days at the resorts. The SDL hotel has a wonderful character buffet - man, that hotel is gorgeous, I just loved it!
Will do, thanks!

Here are some pictures from my day at DisneySea, I didn’t get enough time to explore everything hoping to get more time next year.
Journey to the Center of Earth was pretty cool but 20,000 Leagues under the sea was under refurb so I couldn’t do that.
FD90C714-C379-4D25-99B4-41ED84905230.jpeg
The view of Mt Prometheus.
69693014-67BE-45A3-95A9-F46914D09347.jpeg
The entrance to Toy Story Mania.

0FB98847-B9CF-4F07-B84F-A1A81CE0FE15.jpeg
USS Columbia which has a restaurant inside.
444CDA75-4C1B-4D43-AD9B-D7D7AB8167AD.jpegInside Mermaid Lagoon, this was one of the coolest parts I thought. The theming was really good and I got to eat a sandwich shaped like a clamshell.
C01AA5D7-72A2-4401-BDD2-1FC900086BBA.jpegThe gift shop inside Mermaid Lagoon which takes you inside a whale!2F41A669-2934-4AC9-9973-6A20572E824A.jpeg

I booked my first flight segment today. I only spent $5 to fly from Columbus, OH to Chicago then Chicago to Hong Kong. Not too shabby! I have half the free mileage I need to get my flights for free. Should be able to buy the remaining 3 flights in the next few months. It’s exciting starting to book things! I will not be able to book hotels for awhile but I am researching and pricing.
B9A7FBA1-73D4-491D-BA38-CFC8C1185DDA.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter