• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hoop De Doo v. 'Ohana

thebs19

Mouseketeer
Ok, ok, I know thats a really random duo to be comparing against each other so for some explanation:

I've wanted to try 'Ohana for several trips in a row but given our propensity to always be changing our plans throughout the months leading up to our arrival, and being a relatively large group (5 or 6 depending on who comes - me, my wife, son (8), daughter (2), MIL and my wife's girlfriend who is a local and often stops by during our trips), it had never worked out. Last year, we finally got there and had a very good experience. Friendly server, food was all good, drink service was a bit slow as we never actually got refills on our first rounds (but probably didn't need a second Lapu Lapu). It was a very good experience overall and glad we got to do it, plus it was nice to explore the Poly a bit and its on our list to try one of these years.

So this year, for our final night (which is an MK night), I again booked 'Ohana at the 180 day mark and was content to go again. HOWEVER, one of our (me + wife) favorite things to do is trying new things and going to new resorts where we haven't been before. So all of a sudden I realized we didn't really have a "new" location on this trip (we're trying to Boathouse one night which is a new restaurant, but obviously not a new place). One thing I always try to consider is ensuring the kids have a good time so meals w/ entertainment of some sort, or a schtick (WCC is also a fave) is welcome (albeit, character meals are not their fave - princess meals are a bigger hit with the little one).

Long story short, HDDR came up as something "new" (I stayed at FW as a kid but don't remember much; nobody else in our party has been) - never done a dinner show, thinking the area around Pioneer Hall could be a nice entertaining spot on top of the dinner itself with the horses, etc., and would get to explore a new area of the World this trip.

Now, my only concern is is this silly? 'Ohana is obviously a coveted ADR (there's literally no dinner ressies available for our entire trip for our party right now and we're still over 90 days out, so its not like I can do both and change 'Ohana to a different night) and we had a very good experience last year! Is this my own insatiable need to change things taking over, or is HDDR worth it to give up 'Ohana and "try" especially given my group (and the need to incorporate something fun for the kids)? Would just love to hear opinions on maybe anyone who would've ever had to consider either/or.

Thanks!

Personally Ohana is my favorite TS. With that being said- my kids LOVED HDDR on our first trip to Disney. (They were 5 & 7 at the time.) We even booked a horse and carriage ride right after the show ended. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice- sorry I'm not more help.

Well for us, Ohana is a sit down meal and HDDR is a dinner show. Really can't compare the two. We've did both, Ohana's was a good sit down meal, HDDR, we had a blast! Lots of comedy, laughter, food, drinks, (try the unlimited Sangria) There's a ton to do at FW. All the horses they use in parades, etc are kept there, there is a playground close to HDDR. Maybe walk around a few of the loops that are close and just talk to the campers! If the rocking chairs are still on the porch, sit and people watch. You will have a blast!

I would do HDDR. It is a blast and we found the food great"down home cooking"
Have Fun

Ok, ok, I know thats a really random duo to be comparing against each other so for some explanation:

I've wanted to try 'Ohana for several trips in a row but given our propensity to always be changing our plans throughout the months leading up to our arrival, and being a relatively large group (5 or 6 depending on who comes - me, my wife, son (8), daughter (2), MIL and my wife's girlfriend who is a local and often stops by during our trips), it had never worked out. Last year, we finally got there and had a very good experience. Friendly server, food was all good, drink service was a bit slow as we never actually got refills on our first rounds (but probably didn't need a second Lapu Lapu). It was a very good experience overall and glad we got to do it, plus it was nice to explore the Poly a bit and its on our list to try one of these years.

So this year, for our final night (which is an MK night), I again booked 'Ohana at the 180 day mark and was content to go again. HOWEVER, one of our (me + wife) favorite things to do is trying new things and going to new resorts where we haven't been before. So all of a sudden I realized we didn't really have a "new" location on this trip (we're trying to Boathouse one night which is a new restaurant, but obviously not a new place). One thing I always try to consider is ensuring the kids have a good time so meals w/ entertainment of some sort, or a schtick (WCC is also a fave) is welcome (albeit, character meals are not their fave - princess meals are a bigger hit with the little one).

Long story short, HDDR came up as something "new" (I stayed at FW as a kid but don't remember much; nobody else in our party has been) - never done a dinner show, thinking the area around Pioneer Hall could be a nice entertaining spot on top of the dinner itself with the horses, etc., and would get to explore a new area of the World this trip.

Now, my only concern is is this silly? 'Ohana is obviously a coveted ADR (there's literally no dinner ressies available for our entire trip for our party right now and we're still over 90 days out, so its not like I can do both and change 'Ohana to a different night) and we had a very good experience last year! Is this my own insatiable need to change things taking over, or is HDDR worth it to give up 'Ohana and "try" especially given my group (and the need to incorporate something fun for the kids)? Would just love to hear opinions on maybe anyone who would've ever had to consider either/or.

Thanks!
We've done both and would go to HDDR over Ohana every time. The food is better and the entertainment is inclusive of the diners of all ages.

O'hana is our favorite, but, I would do HDDR if I were you. We had a lot of fun last year at HDDR. As others have said, O'hana is just dinner where HDDR is a show.

HDDR is one of the few "must do's" on every trip! I worked and worked to get 'Ohana for the last trip and had finally succeeded in getting an ADR that would work for us but then I kept reading reviews , and although I do take reviews with a grain of salt, the menu had changed since I dined there 3 years ago and it was not interesting me at all but it was one of the requests my best friend had made so I was willing to do it, the more I read about the food the less happy I was. I cancelled it and I am sure that 2 people probably LOVED the table I gave up but I never regretted the decision. HDDR was awesome as usual and we discovered Texas De Brazil (offsite) which in our opinion blew 'Ohana out of the water totally.

We've done HDDR the last five years and absolutely love it! It's a great Disney experience- before the show we love to sit in the rocking chairs and we always see kids playing with hula hoops, it's cute! The food is really yummy!! And the show is so entertaining... Six bit will have you in stitches!! We do love Ohana, having done it three out of the last five years, but I don't think you'll regret trying HDDR!

Only contributing to this thread to note to the OP that, if you are using the DDP, HDDR uses 2 TS credits whereas Ohana uses 1.

Did HDDR in the spring for the first time because I thought just thought it was a "country" hoe down kind of thing. It was not. The food was good and plentiful, the service good, show good ... we had a great time.

The other night we went to Ohana. It was okay. The shrimp and steak were great, the dessert yummy but honestly nothing else was worth raving about. Server was good and more attentive than I've usually had there.

If I could choose, I would pick going back to HDDR again, hands down!

You might wanna try spirit of aloha at the poly if you'd like an island themed dinner show

Ohana serves a decent meal, with adequate service, most of the time. We've dined there a few times and really don't have any complaints. But HDDR is on a whole other level. It's FUN. Not just for the kids, but for the adults too. And has anyone mentioned the AYCTE beer, wine and sangria? We've been going (not every visit, but regularly) for over 30 years and still consider it a great evening.

HDDR all the way! Especially if you haven't gone before!

Thanks!

Can't really compare them equally, but if you just want to compare the meals, 'Ohana can't be beat. The dinner for HDDR is a down home picnic type food and totally nothing special - just food, and more food.

Yes, 'Ohana has lots of food too, but it is enough special and different IMO that we never miss it on our trips. Dream of that dessert all year!!

Our whole family from kids to grandparents loved HDDR. The show was funny. The meal was BBQ/picnic food which fit the theme and was yummy. Our DS still talks, 4yrs later, about the time he got to go on stage.

We skipped HDDR and did Spirit of Aloha on our last trip, "to try something different". While Aloha was good and I'm glad we tried it HDDR is still our fave. I don't think it's silly to try something different. I think it's part of the adventure of dining/experiences at Disney - you have the option to try different things that you wouldn't necessarily eat/do at home. Good luck choosing.

Thanks all!! Seems pretty consistently "for" HDDR. To the poster about Dining Plan - we are OOP. And while the menu costs are different, with 3 or 4 adults in our party and a few Lapu Lapu's at 'Ohana, I think the cost would end up being pretty similar given the AYCTE drinks at HDDR, so cost isn't a huge component to this.

I really haven't had a good experience the last 3 times i have been to Ohana. I loved HDDR. The atmosphere was fun and we had a great time. Food was good too.

Without a doubt, hands down, go to HDDR!!! Our most favorite meal, experience, show on Disney property. We like Ohana too. But would never miss HDDR on any trip to Disney. Pure Hilarity, belly laughs from kids and adults, and unlimited beer! Word!
Spring for Tier 1, you won't regret it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter