• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hoop Dee Doo questions

WishinOnaStar

Wanted to grow up and marry Spin or Marty
My family along with my SIL and BIL are going to WDW and I am doing all of the planning since they have never been there and this will be our 4th trip. My SIL is content to go with what I say but has just one request. While getting her hair done this week her stylist said "do not miss HDDR, it's the best". We have never been because it seems real pricey and most of the tour books pan it. I really don't want to spend 200 or more for something if it's not worth it. Should I just suck it up because this is her only request, or should I try to talk her out of it. It's just such a lot of money and I don't get the attraction. For those of you who have seen it, what do you think and why?

Personally, I love HDD, I thought it was one of the highlights of our honeymoon (maybe because we were singled out and they sang a song just for us). Some people will say it's corny, but that's what I love about it. It's a great FAMILY show. And to me, that's what Disney is all about.

The meal is good, if you like good down home Southern cooking (fried chicken, ribs, beans and corn). The music is a little hokey, and yes, the jokes are corny, but it's so much fun to get into.

Is it worth $50 per person? Well, that all depends on what kind of entertainment you seek. If you're looking for thrills, this is not your type of show. If you're looking for a nice relaxing meal, this is not your type of place. If you're looking for a "beautiful" act, then skip this.

But, if you want to kick up your heels for an hour or two and just let go and have fun, this is the place for you.

When we were planning our Christmas in Disney, the first thing we did was secure seating for HDD. That's how much we enjoyed it.

Sure, it's a little expensive (what isn't in Disney?), but it was something we've talked about so much since our trip. To me, that makes it all worth it, the memories you make.

Bunch24 you said it perfectly. I totally agree it is well worth it. This is coming from a person who had cancelled it in the past because I didn't think I would enjoy the corny western theme. We laughed until our sides hurt and the food was very good. Go and enjoy it. :flower:

I agree with what bunch24 said...

I too was told "not to miss HDDR". We booked it last October and was looking forward to it. The food was good. It really was GREAT fried chicken...the ribs, baked beans and such were good. It's all you care to eat and drink (including beer or sangrias). The entertainment was really great and very funny. It requires some crowd participation though. The performers spend alot of time out in the crowd getting you involved with the show. (and don't think because you are on the upper level or in the back of the room that you are safe. They go EVERYWHERE) I found it a little hard to really enjoy the dinner because I had this huge fear that they would shine the spotlight on me just as I had taken a big messy bite of food.

We really did enjoy the show. Was it worth the $$...all depends. I think it was..but it's not something we will make a "tradition".

Have a great trip!! :banana:

We have been to HDDR a total of 5 times throughout the years. It is a great show and the food is plentiful and pretty good. I particularly like to take folks who have not seen it before - it is a little corny, but cute and a great show for all ages. The price is a little high, IMHO....but the first time we attended, it was closer to $24/person....... :rolleyes: I definitely feel it is a do-not-miss show for anyone!

We love the HDDR. My family has gone so often, we know all the dialogue by heart. Which makes it even funnier when they screw up (not that anyone but us would know it). It's good food, lots of laughing, and watching the kids get into it is one of the best parts (even if you don't have any yourself). I definitely recommend it at least once; if you're anything like us, you'll be back! :teeth:

Hi Wishin-

We think $50 (including tax and gratuity) for an all you can eat meal of very good food (including beer and wine), and almost two hours of excellent entertainment makes the HDDR one of the best values in all of WDW! We have been about five times and look forward to all the fun and laughter each visit. You will have a blast! Have a most magical trip!!

Peg and Bob

Why not make PS for your inlaws and let them go by themselves? Depending on the length of your stay, you may be ready for family time alone.

We are actually going for the first time in just a few weeks. I, too, thought it wouldn't be a great bet because of its guide book reputation. But so many people who I know well and trust have told me I really have to do it, it's a do not miss. You just have to have the right mindset. But from your post, I would just suck it up and do it regardless since it is her ONLY request. It's her vacation too and for you to get to make all the other choices and she pick one solitary little thing isn't too much, very little actually, even with the cost. You can get a discount on the late show if you have the DDE card too!

We just got back and went to the HDDR our first night. We loved it! My 4 year old had a blast and my 20 month old although sick - enjoyed most of the singing. The food and drinks were a definate ++ . We would go again - no questions asked!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter