• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

hoop dee doo transportation

hookala

Earning My Ears
I will be traveling with my mom, who will be using a wheelchair that I will push. What is the best way to get to Hoop Dee Doo? We will have a car, but the parking looks pretty remote. Do we have to take a shuttle? How long will that take? If we take a lyft or minnie van can we get dropped off in front? Thanks.

I will be traveling with my mom, who will be using a wheelchair that I will push. What is the best way to get to Hoop Dee Doo? We will have a car, but the parking looks pretty remote. Do we have to take a shuttle? How long will that take? If we take a lyft or minnie van can we get dropped off in front? Thanks.

For Hoop Dee, the best thing is to give your tickets to *me*. I will love them, and use them, and call them George. 🤣😂🤣 Don't worry - I'll be OK as soon as I get to see my favorite show again! LOL just gettin' kinda twitchy; I have never gone this long without seeing it!

OK, back to the serious part. You need to get to Pioneer Hall, and it's actually not too difficult. The important thing to remember is that you can't drive all way to the doors there; and Uber, Lyft, etc. can't either. You will go to either a dock or a depot, which is the same way you will go home after.

Head to Fort Wilderness.

If you are driving: At the gate, tell them you have my tickets for Hoop, and they will wave you on in to the parking lot. Park in any non-special spot, and then go over to the bus stop, which is the main depot for the campground. You will need the "internal loop" bus for Pioneer Hall. You can ask any driver, but it's like at any other Resort - the buses that are leaving there for the Parks will have the Park name on the front lighted sign. The internal shuttles buses will have loop numbers and/or destinations. Like I said - if you get confused, be sure to ask a driver, they are all super helpful.

If you are taking the bus: Either from TTC, or one of the theme parks, you can take the bus to Fort Wilderness. It will take you straight to the main depot. There you will disembark from the arriving bus, and then go board the internal shuttle that will take you over to the depot closest to Pioneer Hall.

Important facts to know about driving or taking the bus: The main depot is open air, as are all the depots at FW. The main depot can be very busy, so don't get overwhelmed, just look for your internal shuttle. And most importantly, be sure to allow at least an extra 30 to 45 minutes to get from the main depot to Pioneer Hall. That's because if you just miss the bus as you get there, you will have to wait at least another 20 minutes or so for the next one - plus travel time back to the depot itself, and then the walk in.

The only other way from the Main Depot/entrance area is to rent a golf cart, and from what I understand, they are almost always all rented out in advance. (also, they don't accommodate wheelchairs and/or scooters easily) The Pioneer Hall depot is not too far from the actual Pioneer Hall building (probably 2 city blocks?) and we have often seen deer in the forested area on the right side as you walk down to see the show.

If you take the boat from MK to FW, the dock is very close to Pioneer Hall. You will walk off the dock, and head for the biggest building you see. Easy-peasy. No parking worries, no depot worries. Just make sure you allow enough time for the boat trip (at least an additional 30 to 45 minutes to get there) because if you just miss the boat, it will take at least 20 minutes for another one to show up.

It sounds crazy, but it's not hard or bad or scary at all! Just be sure to allow enough time to get there - far better to be early (so that you have enough time to get your picture taken by the Photopass photogs out front!) than to be late.

Be sure to check in with the Cast Members as soon as you get there; they used to set up check in right in front of Pioneer Hall in the past. If it's raining, you can park your mom up on the porch (just keep her out of the way of the doors) while you stand in line to check in for both of you. Be sure to remind them that she has a chair so that they can plan accordingly.

Easiest by far will be the boat from either MK to FtW or from WL there unless you'll not be at all near either when leaving for HDD. (No idea otherwise, because we went over there from WL.)

It's a lovely, relaxing ride. (DH uses a powerchair.)

Look for the overhead signs at the MK dock, as the WL and FtW boats leave from the same dock. It's easy to get into the wrong line if lots are already waiting.

Tell the skipper at either that you're headed to Hoop Dee Doo. You may have to wait for the next boat to get the larger one that your mom's chair can wheel right onto. If necessary, they'll radio ahead to say the larger boat is needed.

Once you dock at FtW, it's an easy roll over to Hoop Dee Doo. Follow the signs and your noses. ;)

Have a great time!

From where will you be traveling that evening? If you will be at MK that day - I'd definitely do the boat. As PPs mention, it's easier, closer, no need to transfer to the internal bus loop. I guess one thing to keep in mind with this option is what time is your dinner/show, and what time does MK close that evening -- because this could impact the boats back to MK.

If you will be somewhere other than MK for the afternoon, I would drive. The only way to avoid the internal bus at the Fort is to take the boat from MK.

Thank you for all the detailed replies.

Our plan was to go to MK in the morning for a couple hours and return to the hotel for a break before the show. We hadn't thought of the boat as an option, and I'm the person who likes to ride the boats just to ride the boats even without a destination....Maybe we'll see based on the forecast if we want to do just a late start instead and head straight there.

If not, it sounds like a lyft is the easiest. She will be using a regular wheelchair, so it will fit fine in the trunk. I'll still be walking from the depot, which is fine, but at least we won't have to take a bus ride after we arrive.

If not, it sounds like a lyft is the easiest. She will be using a regular wheelchair, so it will fit fine in the trunk. I'll still be walking from the depot, which is fine, but at least we won't have to take a bus ride after we arrive. I'll still be walking from the depot, which is fine, but at least we won't have to take a bus ride after we arrive.
Just so you're clear... if arriving by any mode other than boat, it's about a mile from the entrance where Lyft would drop you off down to Pioneer Hall. It's probably a 20 minute walk and you are welcome to walk it, but that's why they offer the internal bus.

Our plan was to go to MK in the morning for a couple hours and return to the hotel for a break before the show. We hadn't thought of the boat as an option, and I'm the person who likes to ride the boats just to ride the boats even without a destination....Maybe we'll see based on the forecast if we want to do just a late start instead and head straight there.

If not, it sounds like a lyft is the easiest. She will be using a regular wheelchair, so it will fit fine in the trunk. I'll still be walking from the depot, which is fine, but at least we won't have to take a bus ride after we arrive.
We have been to Trail’s End many times, which is in the same building as Hoop de Doo. We’ve sometimes driven and taken the bus and sometimes gone by boat from MK.

These are screenshots from My Disney Experience that show all the areas.
I am NOT sure where Lyft drops off, but I think it is the main parking area. I believe Minnie Vans drop off close to the actual building you need to go to.
This shows the entrance to Fort Wilderness off the main road, parking and the bus stop n that area. If you drive, you will park here and walk to the bus - depending on how full the parking area is, it could be just going across the street.
B80F55E8-8B1D-4591-835B-3D374639F496.jpeg

The bus you are looking for is The Settlement.
Before getting on, just tell the driver you want to get to Hoop De Doo. There are/were also signs at that bus area since a lot of guests are coming into the area to go there.
The second screenshot shows the Settlement bus area and the part of the building that Hoop De Doo is in. You would take the bus from that station back to the parking area when you are done.
ADE27B82-B202-47A5-B30F-A781F2ECC299.jpeg

The third screenshot shows the boat dock and the building. If you park at TTC and take the boat from MK, this is where you would be dropped off. If the boats are not running at all or the large wheelchair accessible boat is out of commission, you will be directed to take the bus back to the area in the first screenshot, then catch a bus to MK.
CCB895DC-EA1D-4BFD-B327-193F64DD43E5.jpeg

unless you use a Minnie Van you will need to take the internal bus using regular Lyft. that is true both ways. if you would decide to walk from where your lyft you will have about a mile walk through the campground. you did not ask but be prepared to use the side door through Trails End with wheelchair

One note about the bus.

This happened years ago, probably close to 20. Long before some of the other options were available.

We had no issues getting to the Hoop-Dee-Do.

Taking the bus from there back to our hotel was a bit of an issue. We had to take the internal shuttle back to the depot. Then we had to take a bus to a theme park. due to the weather, we caught the first bus, which then took us to EPCOT. Once there, we had to get back to the bus for our resort. Again, due to the weather, people were leaving the park. The lines for the buses were very long, especially for our resort. IIRC, we were at the All Stars. To further complicate things, it was just a couple of days into the off-peak season, so they had just switched from having a separate bus for each hotel to one bus for all three.

I think we had to wait for close to an hour at EPCOT just to get back on a bus to our hotel. I think our overall travel time was about two hours. That was also with two very tired children.

Now, that was ONE time, with literally a perfect storm. It was also a long time ago, long before ride shares, Minnie Vans, and boards hat show when the next bus will be arriving. It was also back in the day when I thought I knew everything about Disney World. Twenty years later, and 300+ days at the world later, and yeah, now I know I do not know anything anymore.

My point, plan your plan, and plan your backup plan. As for us, ever since then, I believe we have taken the boat...

Just so you're clear... if arriving by any mode other than boat, it's about a mile from the entrance where Lyft would drop you off down to Pioneer Hall. It's probably a 20 minute walk and you are welcome to walk it, but that's why they offer the internal bus.
The Minnie Van does (well used to at least) drop you off really close to Pioneer Hall.

Oh. OK Thanks for pointing that out.

I second what another user posted, the boat will be accessible and fun to ride.

The last time we were there we took the boat over for the late show and they had buses nearby to take us straight back to our resorts. I hope this is still happening.

If not, it sounds like a lyft is the easiest. She will be using a regular wheelchair, so it will fit fine in the trunk. I'll still be walking from the depot, which is fine, but at least we won't have to take a bus ride after we arrive
OMG!! I would never walk it!! Unless you really want to work up an appetite and be hot and sweaty!! That’s farther than people think. I think it’s a mile as the bird flies, not a mile on the road which makes it longer and you have to dodge busses, bikes, and golf carts. Honestly, the internal busses are not bad but if I had a choice I always take the boat!! Also if you have time, depending on the time of your show, stay for chip and dale sing along and the electrical water pageant!! Makes for a great night 😊

Since you have a car, I would recommend driving to the front of Fort Wilderness, then take the internal bus for Pioneer Hall.

The boat from Magic Kingdom is nice but if the handicapped boat is not running or too full then you will be scrambling for Plan B and will be late for dinner (Hoop De Doo) if you had not planned a tremendous amount of extra time.

As of 2019 the normal transportation after dinner was special buses from the Depot (the block from Pioneer Hall) to Magic Kingdom. Boats run as usual but the same problem of the handicapped boat not running could have you wheeling back up the hill past the Hall to the Depot for bus transportaiton.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter