• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hoping for DL 2025- but WWYD?

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
My sister and I did the Princess weekend 2023 as our first Disney race weekend. It was a great new experience, and we knew we wanted to try another one.

In the meantime, my now 8 yr old nephew has gotten into it, and has been asking about wanting to do a Disney race. The main issue is taking him out of school, but with pretty much any Disney race, he will have to be taken out of school.

In any case, we now have our sights set on the Disneyland race in 2025. I made my first trip to DL in February, and had such a great time. So, now the DL 5K is what we hope to be our next race weekend. We had talked about maybe doing the 10K instead, but with the 5K starting and ending inside the parks, I just think that is so cool. But, either way, whatever we decide on, we love the Disneyland course maps.

We'd like to get some of our other family members to come along, so that's something we've been looking into. Flights come out next week, so that solves one part of the equation.

Herein lies the major issue. One of my family members...it is an absolute requirement to stay at the Grand Californian. I also agree that it would be ideal, but for them it is non-negotiable.

Well, I can't book GC till 7 months out. It's pretty much impossible anyway, but I could waitlist it and we could cross our fingers. I'd be booking a 1 or 2 BR which gives me a slightly better chance at the 7 month mark. However, with that being race weekend, it's already booked up. So, we'd either have to book through Disney when the dates open up (Jan not opened up yet). Or waitlist GC and cross our fingers.

My other option would be to perhaps shoot for the DL fall race, which they are having this year, and I would hope they would do again next year, but the schedule isn't out that far yet, so the Labor Day race in DL for 2025 is not a guarantee. But, it would give me time to perhaps link up with someone I could rent from who could book at the 11 month mark.

Thoughts on what you would do?

I'd have the person who absolutely requires staying at the Grand Californian book their own room and make other arrangements for everyone else.

While the Grand Californian is nice, you don't truly have too many advantages over surrounding hotels when it comes to on-site perks and access to the parks. (Unlike Disney World.)

Also, due to the difficulty of registering for any runDisney race, I'd get rooms locked in now with the understanding that you may need to cancel later. If you like, and have the points, you can waiylist VGC and cancel cash room(s) if the waitlist comes through

I'd have the person who absolutely requires staying at the Grand Californian book their own room and make other arrangements for everyone else.

While the Grand Californian is nice, you don't truly have too many advantages over surrounding hotels when it comes to on-site perks and access to the parks. (Unlike Disney World.)

Also, due to the difficulty of registering for any runDisney race, I'd get rooms locked in now with the understanding that you may need to cancel later. If you like, and have the points, you can waiylist VGC and cancel cash room(s) if the waitlist comes through

Thanks! Actually, cash rooms aren't available right now, either, but once they are, I will likely follow your advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter