horseback trail ride

disneyrunner

I'm never growing up!
Finalizing plans for our third trip 11/27-12/4/01. DD wants to do horseback riding. I see disney has a trial ride near fort wilderness. Anyone taken this ride? Is there any disney magic or is it a standard trail ride? Also what was your opinon of the ride.

I would be interested in more information too. My will be 9 yo has talked of nothing but since she saw it on the video.

Well, as far as Disney magic, none that we found. It's just a plain old trail ride. Don't get me wrong, my DD (9) loved it. We did, however, encounter a very, very rude CM in charge of the horses, but I wouldn't let that get in your way.

First, my DD requested a certain horse which we were told we could. The CM seemed upset we did, but got her "Taco". Then another little girl who had rode the day before got her choice without the glaring looks. I couldn't figure this one out. My DD got her helmet, but another little boy wouldn't. I said "you should, it's the safest thing to do" but he wouldn't. AFter we got on the horses, my DD got scared (2x on horse) when a woman's horse got out of "control" in the corral and sprinted off with her on it. AT that time, the little boy (10) decided he wanted a helmet ;) AFter the CM got the helmet, I told the her that my DD would like to be lead (like on other rides). She got very nasty and rude and said "so, she doesn't want to ride?" Me, "yes, she does, but she wants to be lead". She said something else then added, "well, folks, we'll have another delay because THESE parents feel their daughter NEEDS to be lead." I said, "well, we've had this done at other places and they have been more than willing to accomodate her." I was p***ed off! The others just looked like they couldn't believe she spoke with us like that. I said loudly "that was rude and embarrassing and I'm going to let someone know about this!" She later tried to make up with me by asking questions (a gentleman who was extremely nice lead my DD). I tried to ignore her then she apologized and said she was having a bad day (yup, at 8am!) and it was her birthday. I said "happy birthday" reluctantly. We spoke for a while and then she took my camera to take photos of my DD. I didn't complain until we got home because I was trying to ignore it (and I always let management know). AFter I called customer serve, we got an autographed Goofy photo for my DD. Wow (not that I expected anything). First time I've been treated badly at WDW though. Customer service said to ALWAYS let management know at the time of incident. I will next time (if there is another incident).

Important thing is my DD really doesn't remember the rude CM like my DH and I do, so that's all that matters ;) She adores horses and remembers Taco well. Oh, I also heard the rides when up in price and all you do is go through this small area, kind of like in circles, in a wooded area. Nothing special at all.

my db and I went on the trail ride this past April. We thought it was very boring. It's a very quiet, slow paced trail ride. There was a couple of groups of people and I don't think anyone was "thrilled: with it. The horses all get in their own special order and mosey along, one after the other. The scenery is dull, scrub grass and pine. The most lively fun we had was laughing at my db trying to keep his horse from eating the brush. I also wasn't really impressed with the staff either.

At best, imho this may be a good, 1st experience for younger children.

Originally posted by TheLorax2000

At best, imho this may be a good, 1st experience for younger children.

Well this is good, for me at least, my 9 YO has never been on a horse (except the ponys that go around in a circle a the fair). This actually sounds perfect.

Yea, I did it!

Yes, a bit slllloooww but it was JUST FINE for me!!! (I apparently was more scared of horse-back riding than I originally thought!:rolleyes: ) It lasted (I guess) about 40 mins or so, and I was glad I did it cause I nevere tried it before - so where better than Disney! It's fine to try one time, but for anyone that's an experienced rider, I really don't recommend it.

Hi there!

I just returned and went on the trail ride. It is a normal trail ride through the Fort Wilderness area. It lasted about 45 min. If you like riding a horse in a wilderness area with no other stimulation than the beautiful landscape and the quiet, then this ride for you. I am an experienced rider and I really enjoyed this ride. Our guide pointed out the raccoon tracks in the mud and the numerous deer we encountered. I had a great time.

Wendy

My 3yo dd and 5yo dd would love this. How old do you have to be to ride? Are there pony rides available at WDW?

You have to be at least 9 YO to ride the horses but they also have pony rides for the younger set.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter