Hostess snack cakes

Coffee cake and the blueberry mini muffins were my fav from Hostess.

Although not from the same brand, my preferred afternoon snacks were either Pecan Spinwheels, Oatmeal Creme Pies, or Drakes cookies.

They're actually all the same thing. Hostess made Ding Dongs, but Drakes made Ring Dings. In some markets, Hostess changed the name so it wouldn't sound so similar. King Don was one of these names, as was Big Wheels. Through a series of merrgers and divestitures they were sometimes owned by the same company, though I think they are seperate currently, but only the Ding Dong name is used by Hostess now I believe.

Looked it up, and there are still King Dons in Canada.

hostess-king-dons-fun-pack-6-pack-225g-800x800_800x.png

Even weirder are these (these are the super version with two creme centers instead of one):

Vachon_Jos_Louis_Cake_80_Grams.png

I haven' had any of those in so many years. I remember as a kid that the chocolate cupcakes were quite the treat. Suzy Q's were good too, but OMG so messy.

I don’t eat them, but still buy Ding Dongs for DH. I just bought him 2 boxes of Valentine Ding Dongs, yesterday! The man is 64 with the palette of a 5 year old (hope I’m not insulting any 5 year olds)!

Last edited:
Sadly, except for one item, I don't buy any of the Hostess cakes anymore. I tried Twinkies and the orange cupcakes decades later and either my palate has become more aware of how artificial they all taste in comparison to cakes with no artificial ingredients, or they changed the preservatives and artificial ingredients to more obvious ones. :crazy2:

I remember even as a child, knowing that they were full of preservatives. This was during the era where we had air raid drills in school in case of an atomic bomb dropping. Only there were never any real bomb shelters. We just stood in the hallway, against the walls, with our heads over our crossed arms. Like that would really save us from an atomic bomb. :rolleyes: I remember thinking that those of us who had been eating all the preservatives in Twinkies & Hostess cupcakes would actually do better in the bomb shelters as we'd already be acclimated to the preservatives in the bomb shelter foods. :lmao:

My favorites back then were Ho-Ho's, the orange cupcakes with the swirls, followed by the chocolate cupcakes, Twinkies and raspberry Zingers.

The only ones I still eat now are the raspberry Zingers with the flaked coconut. Maybe the tartness of the raspberry hides the taste of the artificial ingredients? :scratchin Whenever I see them at a deli, I grab a package.
cd9e86e4-9826-40fd-97f5-300b50051201.38ce46d68a139230292ac925845de152.jpeg

Last edited:

Too bad about not liking Twinkies anymore due to the artificial taste. A couple years ago, I saw a movie where they made a very elegant looking layered cake made with Twinkies. Much like this, but with frosting hiding all the Twinkies:

a78947d5b92ca5fcab5f4e03dcad439a.jpg

Too bad about not liking Twinkies anymore due to the artificial taste. A couple years ago, I saw a movie where they made a very elegant looking layered cake made with Twinkies. Much like this, but with frosting hiding all the Twinkies:

a78947d5b92ca5fcab5f4e03dcad439a.jpg
What movie was that, I remember that too, and thinking I want one!

What movie was that, I remember that too, and thinking I want one!

I just went to look for it. It's a Hallmark movie from a few years ago called Surprised by Love with Paul Campbell & Hilarie Burton.

Here's a pic of them building the cake with frosting or a whipped cream filling in between all the Twinkies to hold it all together.

MV5BNjcyN2NiOGItNGJmNS00Y2JiLTliYWYtZDIwYzYyOGEyNTIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM0ODg1MzA@._V1_.jpg

I just went to look for it. It's a Hallmark movie from a few years ago called Surprised by Love with Paul Campbell & Hilarie Burton.

Here's a pic of them building the cake with frosting or a whipped cream filling in between all the Twinkies to hold it all together.

MV5BNjcyN2NiOGItNGJmNS00Y2JiLTliYWYtZDIwYzYyOGEyNTIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM0ODg1MzA@._V1_.jpg
Thank you! I have seen that one a few times, love it!

Ho-Ho’s, Ding Dongs, cupcakes (the orange ones and the chocolate) and the occasional classic Twinkie. I’m 50 and love them … I probably get a Hostess cake of one kind or another once a month. I only buy the small packages at the checkout though because I will eat a whole box by myself in no time flat (nobody in my family likes them).

Mom and I sometimes buy Hostess snack cakes and I love the Hostess Cup Cakes and my mother loved the Hostess Ding Dongs until they changed the flavor when Hostess snack cakes made a comeback. What are your favorite Hostess snack cakes? When my mom was in Texas she had a friend that was addicted to Hostess snack cakes and each time Mom and her friend would grocery shop Mom would buy loads of Hostess snack cakes for them to share
Are you using "snack cakes" to mean all Hostess brand cake-type foods?

I like the (original) Hostess cupcakes (chocolate), I find the new ones too dry. The vanilla/birthday ones are ok. Never could stand Snoballs. Husband likes Twinkies. Ding Dogs/Ho Hos (same thing - different shapes). Coffee cakes my all time favorite.

It's interesting to continue to get to see, thanks to each of you, similar looking products called a different name. Tasty thread this is! We should have a taste test meet up :)

Mom and I sometimes buy Hostess snack cakes and I love the Hostess Cup Cakes and my mother loved the Hostess Ding Dongs until they changed the flavor when Hostess snack cakes made a comeback. What are your favorite Hostess snack cakes? When my mom was in Texas she had a friend that was addicted to Hostess snack cakes and each time Mom and her friend would grocery shop Mom would buy loads of Hostess snack cakes for them to share
Sorry, but they are all gross. All of them are made with bioengineered ingredients and they do not taste "right", But, my favorite snack cake used to be Banana Twins. Now that they put all that junk in them they give me the worst heartburn and sometimes even reflux. My other used-to-be favorite was the oatmeal cookie pies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter