Hot Off the Presses: It was a Scorching Good Time! - One Day Solo Trip

evilmommie

Disneyland CM Alumna 80's-90's
Whewwwww----eeeee, it was a hot one on Monday, August 2nd! It was 95 degrees at the Happiest Place on Earth for 3-4 hours and it made for a melty-fun day.

A bit of info on me: Empty-nest-50ish-Mama (retired RN, military wife & mom) I worked at Disneyland through high school and college and that's where I started my appreciation of all of the hard work and dedication Walt and his team put into developing Disneyland.

My hubby and I have had on occasion been passholders, including WDW. We were able to score re-opening day reservations and a stay at GCH for that weekend. We've been fortunate to have been able to go back 8X since April, including this past trip. I had hosted a trip in June where I played tour guide to a few dear friends, so this solo trip was a chance for me to catch up on a few of the details I so love about Walt's Parks.

Transportation: Husband dropped me off in the drop off zone on the Harbor side at about 8am. Since the reopening, we have yet to use the Park parking structures. We have either used a car service, been dropped off or used Lyft. It has saved us loads of time.

Start of day: 8am-ish
After hubby dropped me off, I sped my way up the sidewalk through the crowds to the security check area. Lines weren't horrible and the security line I picked had a very efficient CM that was expediting people through the line very quickly. Lining up for the gates to Disneyland was a different story. The lines extended to the middle of the esplanade, so I picked a line and waited...it was already warming up. Got up to the gate, I used a day of my CA resident ticket (they asked for my CA ID) and was inside by 8:20! Awesome-ness. Started taking it all in and then headed over to the Disney Gallery for a tour of new and old artwork.

If you're looking for an intense, over achieving trip report: this ain't it. Although, I will tell you I was able to get in 8 rides, have leisurely snacks, see all kinds of characters and appreciate all kinds of small Disney details. Much more than I would accomplish on regular summer day, pre-2020. Rides accomplished: Horse drawn carriage, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Storybook, Mr. Toad's, Space and Big Thunder. No rides in DCA. Only adult bevs.

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is open. The lobby is also a great place to see more Disney history and cool off.
fullsizeoutput_b0.jpeg

Original Bench from Griffith Park
fullsizeoutput_c1.jpegIMG_4484.JPG

I meandered up through Main Street checking out all of the stores, with my sights set on getting a few pics of the castle, having a breakfast snack and capture to find more hidden treasures.

IMG_4487 2.JPGfullsizeoutput_b1.jpegfullsizeoutput_b2.jpeg

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique has such adorable details in their shop and there were plenty of sweet princesses picking out their tieras.
fullsizeoutput_b3.jpegfullsizeoutput_b5.jpeg

During my wanderings around the castle and Fantasyland, I stopped by Maurice's treats for a breakfast snack (it's next to the Castle, on the left side..near the princess meet and greet) If you haven't had a snack here, try it out! So delicious. I had the garlic cheddar bagel twist which easily could be shared by two people. Yum! Perfect combo of cheese and soft bread. Also grabbed a hot coffee. Kind of crazy, considering it was already 80+. Anyway, a great quick alternative to Jolly Holiday for a donut, churro gears and a drink. See menu below. : )
fullsizeoutput_b7.jpeg

Had to stop by and ride my former home in the 80's. Gorgeous as always. IMG_4503.JPG

Last edited:
After I got my rides in, I took another stroll down Main Street and captured some great video of the Disneyland Band with the most famous couple of all. They were all pumped and the guests got into all of the tunes as the band played up and down in the afternoon.

fullsizeoutput_ba.jpeg

My favorite quick lunch or dinner spot is back open! Yippee! Coke Corner!!! I mobile ordered the seasonal esquite hot dog and a Coke Zero. The hot dog was delicious. It might border on being a little spicy for those that are sensitive to heat. The combo of the crunchy Fritos with the corn and creamy Cotija was a fun combo. This is also something that could be shared by two people. Comes with chips or mandarin cuties. As I was enjoying lunch the ragtime piano player came out and immediately noticed a birthday girl near by and we all sang to her. So festive. The piano has moved up to the upper left hand corner of the Jolly Holiday patio.
fullsizeoutput_b8.jpeg

A couple of cute merch finds....that I'm sure have been out, but I haven't noticed. As for my souvenirs this trip, I went old school and did a couple of pressed pennies. It's always fun to find all of the different selections and characters. It's they are pretty intricate drawings when you look at the details.
fullsizeoutput_c2.jpegfullsizeoutput_c3.jpeg

At this point, I was melting....I was drinking water like crazy...the cooling towels and misters were flying off the carts and retail stores. I stopped by Starbucks #markethouse and grabbed a large water and sat on the chair where the palm reader sign is for a break. Water is readily available at all of the restaurants. You don't have to mobile order, just walk up and ask for a cup. One of my favorite locations is the water fountain at Rancho Zocalo where they have water cups out and a cold water fountain.

Around 1, I headed over to DCA...a lot of people were leaving the parks to catch a break from the heat. My focus in DCA was to catch a few glimpses of favorite characters and to camp out somewhere with an adult beverage. Easy entry into the park, no lines...(obvi) Wandered a few stores and noticed many other people were doing the same to get out of the heat. Didn't notice any issues with people and masks. There was a cast member posted at the entrances of the rides and stores to remind people to put them on, if they had them in their hand or down under their nose. Walked over to the Animation Academy or should I say nap area...there were literally people posted up in there, shoes off napping...Blech. Anyway, I went over to see the ocean's happiest sea turtle, Crush. I wasn't disappointed. He is just as funny and engaging as ever! So sweet to hear him interact with the kids and make good fun of the adults. AND, it was deliciously cool in the theatre #humantank

LOKI! Can you spot him?
fullsizeoutput_bd.jpeg

Peter Parker 😜
fullsizeoutput_bf.jpeg

Around 3, I was ready for an adult time out. Needed to post up at one of my fav locations, Sonoma Terrace. Instead of a glass of wine, this time I went for the sparkling greyhound and another bottle of water. It was busy, but not crazy enough where I wasn't able to find a comfy place to sit down and get in the shade for a good rest.
fullsizeoutput_c0.jpeg

My hubby was meeting me for dinner at Uva Bar at 6:30 for dinner and our original plan was to first cruise over to Trader Sam's for a cocktail but instead I rerouted us to the Hearthstone lounge at 5:30 for the charcuterie board which is back on the menu and a couple of cold mixed drinks. Delightful service from Diego and they still have the complimentary spicy nut mix available, you just many need to ask them for it. Headed over to Uva bar a little bit earlier than our reservation and they were able to get us in right away. We kept it simple, as Uva is really best at their drinks and small bites, so we each ordered a margarita and the trio hummus to share. Made a few stops to pick up a couple of requests from friends, an apple pie caramel apple from Marceline's and a beach towel from World of Disney. Left Downtown Disney at a little bit before 8pm....whewwwww....I was zapped.

Super fun day, heat and all!!

Last edited:
Fun trip report! It's been really warm here (I got in my car the last couple days to see it was 106!!). I always think about how fun a summer trip to the parks would be, but then remember I hate the heat lol Sounds like you were able to make the best of it!

Fun trip report! It's been really warm here (I got in my car the last couple days to see it was 106!!). I always think about how fun a summer trip to the parks would be, but then remember I hate the heat lol Sounds like you were able to make the best of it!
Thanks for the positive feedback! It’s my first trip report. I thought it might be fun to start writing down my thoughts since we’ve been back for several visits and I can share my experiences with those who have similar interests.

Here in So Cal, we complain when it’s over 80 and easily forget how mild our weather is most of the time! 😆

I didn't know Coke Corner reopened. Yay! Love that little area! A few years ago the pianist asked my son if he wanted to play the piano. As the jazz pianist in his high school jazz band he couldn't pass that up. He sat down and just made up a jazz tune as we went along. One of his favorite memories!

I didn't know Coke Corner reopened. Yay! Love that little area! A few years ago the pianist asked my son if he wanted to play the piano. As the jazz pianist in his high school jazz band he couldn't pass that up. He sat down and just made up a jazz tune as we went along. One of his favorite memories!
Oh I LOVE that!! One of the many things that makes Disneyland so unique, those special interactions with the Cast Members.

Thanks for the report! We are from Canada and coming to DL next April(so far away) We only have two days, or rather flying in - that day plus the next full day. Not nearly enough time! My only must do is the Matterhorn, it's on my life list. We've been told to be sure to do POTC as it's different. We have been to WDW more than 10 times. I know it's a rush but it's all we have, we are cruising on our third day from our arrival at LAX.

Thanks for the report! We are from Canada and coming to DL next April(so far away) We only have two days, or rather flying in - that day plus the next full day. Not nearly enough time! My only must do is the Matterhorn, it's on my life list. We've been told to be sure to do POTC as it's different. We have been to WDW more than 10 times. I know it's a rush but it's all we have, we are cruising on our third day from our arrival at LAX.

You'll have a fabulous time!

After I got my rides in, I took another stroll down Main Street and captured some great video of the Disneyland Band with the most famous couple of all. They were all pumped and the guests got into all of the tunes as the band played up and down in the afternoon.

View attachment 594562

My favorite quick lunch or dinner spot is back open! Yippee! Coke Corner!!! I mobile ordered the seasonal esquite hot dog and a Coke Zero. The hot dog was delicious. It might border on being a little spicy for those that are sensitive to heat. The combo of the crunchy Fritos with the corn and creamy Cotija was a fun combo. This is also something that could be shared by two people. Comes with chips or mandarin cuties. As I was enjoying lunch the ragtime piano player came out and immediately noticed a birthday girl near by and we all sang to her. So festive. The piano has moved up to the upper left hand corner of the Jolly Holiday patio.
View attachment 594563

A couple of cute merch finds....that I'm sure have been out, but I haven't noticed. As for my souvenirs this trip, I went old school and did a couple of pressed pennies. It's always fun to find all of the different selections and characters. It's they are pretty intricate drawings when you look at the details.
View attachment 594565View attachment 594567

At this point, I was melting....I was drinking water like crazy...the cooling towels and misters were flying off the carts and retail stores. I stopped by Starbucks #markethouse and grabbed a large water and sat on the chair where the palm reader sign is for a break. Water is readily available at all of the restaurants. You don't have to mobile order, just walk up and ask for a cup. One of my favorite locations is the water fountain at Rancho Zocalo where they have water cups out and a cold water fountain.

Around 1, I headed over to DCA...a lot of people were leaving the parks to catch a break from the heat. My focus in DCA was to catch a few glimpses of favorite characters and to camp out somewhere with an adult beverage. Easy entry into the park, no lines...(obvi) Wandered a few stores and noticed many other people were doing the same to get out of the heat. Didn't notice any issues with people and masks. There was a cast member posted at the entrances of the rides and stores to remind people to put them on, if they had them in their hand or down under their nose. Walked over to the Animation Academy or should I say nap area...there were literally people posted up in there, shoes off napping...Blech. Anyway, I went over to see the ocean's happiest sea turtle, Crush. I wasn't disappointed. He is just as funny and engaging as ever! So sweet to hear him interact with the kids and make good fun of the adults. AND, it was deliciously cool in the theatre #humantank

LOKI! Can you spot him?
View attachment 594568

Peter Parker 😜
View attachment 594569

Around 3, I was ready for an adult time out. Needed to post up at one of my fav locations, Sonoma Terrace. Instead of a glass of wine, this time I went for the sparkling greyhound and another bottle of water. It was busy, but not crazy enough where I wasn't able to find a comfy place to sit down and get in the shade for a good rest.
View attachment 594571

My hubby was meeting me for dinner at Uva Bar at 6:30 for dinner and our original plan was to first cruise over to Trader Sam's for a cocktail but instead I rerouted us to the Hearthstone lounge at 5:30 for the charcuterie board which is back on the menu and a couple of cold mixed drinks. Delightful service from Diego and they still have the complimentary spicy nut mix available, you just many need to ask them for it. Headed over to Uva bar a little bit earlier than our reservation and they were able to get us in right away. We kept it simple, as Uva is really best at their drinks and small bites, so we each ordered a margarita and the trio hummus to share. Made a few stops to pick up a couple of requests from friends, an apple pie caramel apple from Marceline's and a beach towel from World of Disney. Left Downtown Disney at a little bit before 8pm....whewwwww....I was zapped.

Super fun day, heat and all!!
Good info! Thanks for taking the time to post!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter