Hot Plate and/or Waffle Maker Allowed in STUDIO

Thanks - good point. Although we actually use our waffle/pancake maker to cook eggs - and a hot plate for "real" oatmeal. Not sure a toaster would suffice. I call it a waffle maker 'cause when I say pancake maker it confuses people even more lol. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSVSU1O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is good egg options honestly that are frozen and microwaved. They are Jimmy Dean skillet type things.

Oatmeal not sure what real means so no clue.

A Bread maker now that's funny.
People can accidently leave things plugged in or...... Many years back with a very young child and older parents and other family 2 2BR my wife used the stove for something for my son don't recall he was maybe 1 or 2..... On the boat to DS my wife did not remember if she turned it off..... Called the front desk we heard the fire truck sirens very shortly after.... No idea if it was still on or not but they sure did check in a hurry.

There is good egg options honestly that are frozen and microwaved. They are Jimmy Dean skillet type things.

I've had the JDean bowls microwaved - other than the high salt, they Are tasty, low sugar, and high protein. Add a cup of coffee, and fruit in a zip lock bag - rope drop was doable ;) I just try to make sure the m/w does not Ding for the neighbors.

But OP originally was asking what exactly the rules are. (Nobody seems to know the answer.)

That has to do with my response to someone saying if there is a rule just hide the hotplate and ignore it how?

Oh it doesn't.

I wasnt directing it at the OP asking what the rule is. Just the person saying don't care and just hide what you are doing.

Lots of places have long lists of rules because most people aren't as thoughtful and mindful of safety as people are here.

For the most part the folks that come to Disboards are the planners in their respective family groups -- the ones planning and checking things out ahead of time I think. Thoughtful people.
The irony of posting that on a post that is literally telling people to circumvent possibly existing rules, is rather funny.

Talked to my DH (retired electrician) about this...............He says this---
There is no fire hazard using a standard waffle iron in any US outlet.
A typical waffle iron requires about 1000 watts of power (about 8.33 amps)
A standard outlet is rated at 15 amps.

So... as long as you don't operate the coffee maker, toaster, or microwave at the same time, from the same outlet, there is no overload potential.

I have no idea what the DVC rules are, but from an electrical perspective, a waffle iron is safe to plug into a standard outlet (just like at home).

Edit- added "same outlet" for clarity
As you DH has pointed out one of the biggest things you can do to increase kitchen safety anywhere is never overload an outlet by plugging multiple items into a tap, power strip or extension cord.

The reason fire codes require multible outlets along a counter and at the end of a peninsula is to allow people to plug kitchen appliances in virtually anywhere on the counter without using an extention cord.

The irony of posting that on a post that is literally telling people to circumvent possibly existing rules, is rather funny.
In the end it only matters what Disney says to its guests while we are at the resorts, not what people say here.

If you call MS , they will tell you that unless provided by Disney in the room (such as a 1 BR or larger DVC)- home kitchen appliances are not permitted.

There is no exception for specific appliances like Coffee Makers or hot plates.

Easier to call than argue on DIS Boards

Last edited:
In the end it only matters what Disney says to its guests while we are at the resorts, not what people say here.
I'd argue that what matters are the rules that Disney sets.

Either way, "thoughtful and mindful of safety" are not the words that come to mind to describe someone suggesting circumventing possible safety rules.

We are planning on an air fryer for those extra long stays when we retire!
Keep in mind, each studio's counter space is different - tons of room at BLT but a sliver at POLY!

Disney always has to look out for the lowest common denominator.

While recommending, or ruling, against small appliances, it may not be the appliance, per se. Rather, it could be they are trying to avoid people dumping bacon grease, pancake mix, and all other cooking ingredients down their small Studio sinks.

If you call MS , they will tell you that unless provided by Disney in the room (such as a 1 BR or larger DVC)- home kitchen appliances are not permitted.

There is no exception for specific appliances like Coffee Makers or hot plates.

Easier to call than argue on DIS Boards

Again, the only thing that matters in the world is what a CM says to me on site, not what one of the participants say on these so called "Dis" boards.

No one cares what you think about my appliances.

@Apthorp76 read my post you quoted and it will be clear that your response is off base.

I only said call Member Services ( who actually know the policy) - the whole “ if I am not caught by a CM it’s legal” is not a valid line of reasoning.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter