Hotel Advice...Which One and Parking

jackport

Earning My Ears
Hello! We are a family of 7 and will be at Disneyland in March. We will be driving down to Disneyland from the Hollywood area. I am trying to decide between the Hilton or Hampton Inn Garden Grove. The Hilton looks closer, but the Hampton has breakfast and is cheaper (I am a Hilton employee, so it definitely makes the most sense to stay at one of these). What are your thoughts? Is the Hilton a better choice due to the location? Also, when we arrive (early Monday morning) should we park at the hotel, even though we won't be able to check in yet, or somewhere else? Thanks for your help!

Hello! We are a family of 7 and will be at Disneyland in March. We will be driving down to Disneyland from the Hollywood area. I am trying to decide between the Hilton or Hampton Inn Garden Grove. The Hilton looks closer, but the Hampton has breakfast and is cheaper (I am a Hilton employee, so it definitely makes the most sense to stay at one of these). What are your thoughts? Is the Hilton a better choice due to the location? Also, when we arrive (early Monday morning) should we park at the hotel, even though we won't be able to check in yet, or somewhere else? Thanks for your help!

Can you stay at either the Home2Suites or Hilton Garden Inn on South Manchester instead? Those would be my preference above the other two you mentioned, as they're walking distance to the park, are newer hotels and include breakfast. The Hilton would be on the edge of walkable.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Garden Grove. It was not walkable for me but the hotel itself was near to a ART stop. I just ubered it.

Breakfast was good and the hotel itself was clean and the staff were very nice. It was right next to a couple of other HIlton properties but I'm assuming by just saying Hilton you mean the HIlton at the Convention Center.

It's right there at the corner and the closest to the parks but not very near the entrances, but it is what I would consider walkable (probably the best route would be Harbour but you could go the other way and enter on Disneyland Way if Downtown Disney was your destination, but I haven't stayed there so I can't give any details on it.

Last edited:
We stayed at the Hilton at the convention center a couple years ago it was walkable in the morning but after a full day in the park it was way too far. Kudu my opinion

Can you stay at either the Home2Suites or Hilton Garden Inn on South Manchester instead? Those would be my preference above the other two you mentioned, as they're walking distance to the park, are newer hotels and include breakfast. The Hilton would be on the edge of walkable.

I second this recommendation. Loved our stay at Home2Suites and will be trying the Garden Inn in a couple weeks.

One possible correction: I don’t think the Garden Inn includes breakfast without some sort of hotel status. But I am not entirely sure about that

Are there any hotels that are definitely walkable?
Dozens but depends on your definition of walkable. Hilton Anaheim mentioned above is less than 20 mins walk and for me, that’s fine. The closest motels are 5 mins walk from the park gates.
For the OP, we have stayed at The Hilton and liked it very much. Yes it’s older but very well maintained with plenty of onsite amenities including a food court on the ground floor with several counter service eateries. Plus the Carpark is huge and you’re close to the Walgreen and CVS on the corner of Harbor and Katella.
But I also agree it worthwhile looking at the other Hilton Properties that are a bit closer and/or a lot newer.

Dozens but depends on your definition of walkable. Hilton Anaheim mentioned above is less than 20 mins walk and for me, that’s fine. The closest motels are 5 mins walk from the park gates.
For the OP, we have stayed at The Hilton and liked it very much. Yes it’s older but very well maintained with plenty of onsite amenities including a food court on the ground floor with several counter service eateries. Plus the Carpark is huge and you’re close to the Walgreen and CVS on the corner of Harbor and Katella.
But I also agree it worthwhile looking at the other Hilton Properties that are a bit closer and/or a lot newer.
That’s what we would be interested in as far as walkable. Maybe 10 min walk max. Can you recommend any of that fit that category. I don’t care about free breakfast or any of that. Really don’t need amenities either. Just close & decent.

Hi, fellow Hilton employee. I stay at the Hilton Anaheim a lot and have always enjoyed it. The walk is a tad long (especially at night, ha ha!), but it's not too bad. The Hampton is a decent bit further. I agree tht the Homewood is a bit better, in line with the walk from the Hilton, or you can easily use the shuttle from the Toy Story lot. you can also use that from the Hilton, though I find walking to be just as fast. There is an ART stop right outside ofo the Hilton too if you prefer.

How much cheaper is the Hampton Inn and how much do you value breakfast? If you do the Hampton Inn, you'll probably take an ART shuttle or Uber/Lyft which will cut in to the savings while the Hilton is borderline walkable. I have stayed at this Hampton Inn due to it being a decent amount cheaper than other Hilton properties in the past. It's actually a very nice property for its price and I do recommend it but I generally recommend people stay closer. If you don't get free breakfast at the Hilton, I also agree with going with the Homewood or an even closer hotel instead of the Hilton if the prices were similar.

I would just park at the hotel unless you want to go somewhere else first. Maybe buy groceries if you pick a hotel that doesn't include breakfast?

LSUmiss, the 2 closest motels are the Best Western Park Place Inn and the Park Vue Inn. Both are excellent motels with some of the services of a hotel (24hr reception, safe deposit boxes, tour desk, gift shop). The only other hotel and closer is the Grand Californian and it’s only closer to DCA as it’s in it. Note Park Vue only takes reservations on their website.
The close budget option in Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites, about 7 mins walk to the turnstiles. Other good options 10 mins or under at varying budgets are:
Fairfield Inn by Marriott
Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance (newest of the bunch and likely the most expensive)
Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn
Candy Cane Inn (when it reopens)
There are also 3 excellent newer options on the corner of Katella and Harbor just over 10 mins walk (maybe 12-13 mins). Springhill Suites Resort/Convention, Residence Inn Resort/Convention and Hyatt House. That area around that intersection is a good choice for a DL visit if you don’t mind the extra couple of mins walk.
But yes, staying as close as possible is always a good idea and those I mentioned are clean, well run and a couple have included breakfast.

Honestly the grand Californian is the best 😊

Hi, fellow Hilton employee. I stay at the Hilton Anaheim a lot and have always enjoyed it. The walk is a tad long (especially at night, ha ha!), but it's not too bad. The Hampton is a decent bit further. I agree tht the Homewood is a bit better, in line with the walk from the Hilton, or you can easily use the shuttle from the Toy Story lot. you can also use that from the Hilton, though I find walking to be just as fast. There is an ART stop right outside ofo the Hilton too if you prefer.
DLgal mentioned recently that the set up for toy story is different, indicating it won’t save any time. IMO it barely saved time to start with, just saved your feet some steps.

Yet another fellow Hilton employee here :) Be sure to also check the new Hampton 'convention center', it's near Toy Story lot as well just on the Katella side not Harbor. You can enter Toy Story (walking) from both Katella or Harbor now so that makes it easier.

It can be confusing- just remember to check address very carefully when booking as there are both older properties in Garden Grove and newer ones closer to Disney. Hotels love to use major city names in property title which can even cause more confusion.

Hampton Anaheim-
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/anaachx-hampton-suites-anaheim-resort-convention-center/

Homewood Suites Anaheim - (again, 'convention center' not Garden Grove) is also a great choice next to Toy Story on Harbor side.
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/anadlhw-homewood-suites-anaheim-resort-convention-center/

Hampton upper right, Homewood in lower left of screenshot:

Last edited:
DLgal mentioned recently that the set up for toy story is different, indicating it won’t save any time. IMO it barely saved time to start with, just saved your feet some steps.

Last weekend, I timed myself on two different days. It took me 18 minutes to get from the Hyatt Place at the Convention Center to past security in the morning and the exact same amount of time to walk back in the evening. From the Hyatt Place to the park entrance via the Toy Story lot took 32 minutes with clearing security in the parking lot. It took 28 minutes to return to the hotel via the Toy Story Lot. The night that I walked back, the CM said the estimated wait for the shuttle was 45 minutes. I walk faster than the average person so most people would probably take 20-25 minutes to walk that distance but it's still usually faster to walk than take a shuttle from the Toy Story Lot.

I had timed myself from the Courtyard before as well and found that walking was the faster way then too.

Some of the vloggers say it’s much quicker to walk than catch the shuttle from the Toy Story lot even if you park there. I’d wager they’re right unless there’s a huge line at Harbor security

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter