hotel choices

dmen

Mouseketeer
hi-

which universal hotel would you choose--HRH, PBH or RPH? we (late 20s married couple) are going to disney for a week in early dec (staying at the GF--which is my favorite there) and were then going to spend 2 nights at universal. we were at PBH when it first opened for dinner and it seemed really barren to me. i am sure it has changed however. so--

which do you like best and why (i know RPH hasn't opened yet, but you can use your imagination as i haven't even read much about it)?
which is the most convenient?
do the universal resorts decorate special for the holidays?
are there special holiday activities at the theme parks there?

finally, and perhaps most importantly, how do you get the best rate? i was thinking entertainment club, but thought i'd ask others first. i am also a loews first member and AAA. do i need the ent. club in hand to make reservation? is there one # to call for all 3 resorts or do i need to check each individually?

thank you so much!
i am new to this board, usually hang out on the Disney Resort one!

We booked with HRH using the entertainment card. We had them in hand, but I can't remember us actually showing it. Definitely let them know you are Loews's to get the extra perks. We had a bottle a wine in one room and milk and cookies in the other. It was a nice touch. Have only stayed at HRH so can't can't about the others, but we loved it! Must stay on site, the perks are just so fab.

Jenn

Dmen: I've only stayed at HRH and found it wonderful. Being you are a youhg couple I can't imagine you not loving HRH. Its a beautiful and very conveniently located hotel, even more so than PB. We took a walk over to PB when we stayed there this past Dec. and honestly, I didn't like it in comparison to HRH. The mood at HRH is very vibrant and youthful, I don't think there was a staff member that was older than 30 yo and they were very professional, efficient, courteous and helpful. I can't say one single bad thing about this place. Its literally a 5 minute walk (and I do mean 5 minutes) because I timed myself and my 70 yo mother when we walked to USF! There are those water taxis that can take you back and forth from the hotel to the parks but by the time you wait for them you could be back at the hotel but they come in handy if you are exhausted from the parks or have been drinking at the clubs at night. Being a young couple I am sure you will absolutely love HRH. From my signature you can see I will be trying out RP this summer, I just hope I don't miss HRH too much. Be sure to eat at Sunset Grill if you stay at HRH, the food is good but the service is delightful! Where ever you stay the benefits of FOTL are worth it! Have a great vacation and enjoy. :D :D :D :D :D

I prefer PBH. It's much more luxurious then HRH. Yes, HRH is more lively but it's a smaller hotel so everyone is concentrated in one area. The pool is always crowded, the cabanas cost more, restuarant choices are limited, rooms are smaller. HRH is a lovely hotel also, so you can't go wrong. But staying at PBH you still can visit HRH then go back for a romantic dinner or stroll at PBH.Both were decorated for Christmas very nicely.I would think I Dec. both hotels will be very busy any way. There are two lounge choices at PBH, Thirsty Fish is open until 2am and can be a lot of fun. HRH is closer to the parks & Citywalk, so is RP. But it's only another 5 minutes if you are staying at PBH.

dmen,
You don't need the Entertainment card in hand when you make the reservation. First call the hotel and see if the Entertainment rate is available when you want to go. Then buy the Entertainment book (you can get it at www.entertainment .com) and take the card with you when you check in. Make sure you get the 2003 Entertainment book as the 2002 one expires Nov.1st.

thank you all for your responses! i found them very helpful. still haven't decided which hotel to try yet! leaning towards RPH but any of the three would be great.

We've stayed at HRH so far and we WERE planning to stay there again. Our DD's loved the pool and it's a convenient walk to the parks.

PBH seemed like it would be a longer walk to the parks and you'd probably want to take the shuttle/boat instead?? Just seemed that way to us. There was a street to cross.

We were all set to stay at HRH again until I called and checked rates. Last year I paid the introductory Entertainment rate of $117 but this year it was much more. I think it was $155?? So I researched here and saw the GREAT rates everyone was getting for the new hotel. I knew it seemed close to IOA so I'm hoping it won't be too long of a walk and hoping we won't have to cross a street.

I'm willing to take my chances since the rates we could get with our Universal Fan Club card were impossible to resist! They told us we could get $99 for standard and $109 for pool. I booked the $99 and then had to call back when I read here that you could get the Club level for $139! I've never done Club level before so thought it would be a nice splurge! So we're paying less at RP for Club than we would have at HRH for Standard room.

When you call list all cards you have and they will tell you the best rate with those cards. They are discounts (sometimes) for Entertainment, Loews, AAA and Universal Club card.

Good luck in what you decide. They are all very nice hotels!

Don't miss the Grinch in Suess Landing at IOA. For the last 2 years they've made a big deal about the Grinch and Whoville in Suess Landing. Hopefully, they will do the same this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter