• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotel Dilemma

Bossy22

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone, I know this is the place to ask!!! Thanks for all the knowledge I get from these boards, it is much appreciated.

My family drives down to DL every year or so (we live in Alberta Canada). We love the drive and we always bring my in-laws. There are 7 of us in the minivan and we always have a great trip. We are very budget in travel and hotel (as it allows us to go more often) but not very budget in regards to food and eating (we're on vacation after all!). That being said, we always stay at the Desert Inn and Suites in an Executive room (great value for us and the in-laws get a bed, my wife and I get a bed, and there is the pullout for the 2 kids). Wait, thats not 7. Yes, our youngest is now getting out of the playpen age and is not an infant. Not sure if DI&S will let us stay in a parlour suite (up to 6 people). If not then we need to find a hotel that will meet our needs. Any ideas?
1.) We need to be able to walk. We love just being across the street but have stayed at LaQuinta in the past. Would prefer within a not too long walk.
2.) Must have 3 beds (one could be a pullout)
3.) Cost is a must. We need to budget well so that we can have fun at the parks and not worry about pinching pennies while there.
Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Why not still stay there? I love their bigger suites and you'd get two bathrooms and honestly, the prices are still not bad!!

I'd do the C1 if you want to save money, you get 4 beds and 1.5 bathrooms!! Still a great deal!

Your going up from $149 (parlour) to $249 (c1), that is a huge difference. I'm hoping to keep it closer to the under $200 if I can (and it seems like there are some options a little farther away. We stay for 10 nights so 100 bucks a night is a lot of money, switch it to CAD funds and its like $1300 different. We'd rather spend $1000 less and walk a few blocks. If it was within a couple of hundred we would rather stay right across the street but at $1000 difference we are looking for other options. Still not ruling out DI&S, it is seriously our favourite!!! Just looking at budget options that we can do!!!

Tropicana is priced pretty much the same as DI&S.

I mean honestly, you could fit in that room if you were willing to have all 3 kids on the one sofa bed. I just know with my family, once we all got to a certain age, we needed two bathrooms for sure.

I've stayed at many many places across Harbor and walked from as far down as Hyatt Place, but even all those rooms were the equivalent of DI&S. I believe there are some decently priced ones at Portofino, but I haven't stayed there in years so not sure what shape it's in!

Check rooms and rates at the Clementine Hotel (used to be the Residence Inn Main Gate). Someone here posted that she got a great rate there on Expedia, I think. People have posted that they like the Desert Palms for large groups -- the largest suite can sleep up to 12. Look in Garden Grove, e.g. Hampton Inn & Suites -- rates go down once you leave the Anaheim Resort area. The Staybridge Suites on Manchester is further from the parks, but the rates are very reasonable.

Hey everyone, I know this is the place to ask!!! Thanks for all the knowledge I get from these boards, it is much appreciated.

My family drives down to DL every year or so (we live in Alberta Canada). We love the drive and we always bring my in-laws. There are 7 of us in the minivan and we always have a great trip. We are very budget in travel and hotel (as it allows us to go more often) but not very budget in regards to food and eating (we're on vacation after all!). That being said, we always stay at the Desert Inn and Suites in an Executive room (great value for us and the in-laws get a bed, my wife and I get a bed, and there is the pullout for the 2 kids). Wait, thats not 7. Yes, our youngest is now getting out of the playpen age and is not an infant. Not sure if DI&S will let us stay in a parlour suite (up to 6 people). If not then we need to find a hotel that will meet our needs. Any ideas?
1.) We need to be able to walk. We love just being across the street but have stayed at LaQuinta in the past. Would prefer within a not too long walk.
3.) Cost is a must. We need to budget well so that we can have fun at the parks and not worry about pinching pennies while there.

If DI&S allows it, consider bringing an air mattress with sleeping bag for the youngest? That is a great price and close proximity!

Thanks everyone, I did email DI&S 2 days ago but have not heard back as of yet. It would be our preference but the budget is important so we'll see what is possible. Was hoping someone knew of a great one not too far away for 6 or 7 people at a great rate but it seems to be tough to find!

What are your dates? Or general time of the year you are planning to come down?

I'm not sure your exact budget but the Anaheim Islander Inn & Suites has a two bedroom suite with 4 queens (one bath, however), and you can start a dummy booking to see the rates in a calendar format. I think they are very reasonable, most dates are under $200. They also have a AAA discount... maybe they'll accept a comparable Canadian motor club card so you can get the discount!

Last edited:

We like to stay at Staybridge Inn and Suites on Manchester Drive (near the corner of Katella and the I-5 freeway). Their 2 bedroom unit has a full kitchen (though only with a cooking top, not a stove with oven). Master bedroom has its own bathroom and a King bed. 2nd bedroom has 2 beds (not sure if they are queens, but I think so) with a 2nd bathroom attached. Sofa in the living room is a sleeper bed. This would hold 8 people. (They also have a 1 bedroom unit that just has the two beds, plus the sofa bed.)

Staybridge Inn and Suites serves a complimentary breakfast every morning of scrambled eggs, a meat such as sausage or bacon, sometimes breakfast potatoes, also have toast, jam, pastries, waffle makers (they had regular and blueberry batter), pancake griddle, Orange Juice, apple juice, milk, coffee, fruit or melon, yogurt and various dried cereals. 6:30 to 9:30 AM on Weekdays and 7:30 to 10:30 AM on weekends. If you are going to the park early on Saturday or Sunday, then you might want to bring some breakfast back to your room, the day before, and put it in your fridge.

By having a refrigerator, microwave, cooking surface and a few dishes, you can pick up groceries or have some delivered, and save a ton of money.

Walking distance to the turnstile entrance at Disneyland Park is 1.5 miles, BUT, Staybridge does share a parking lot (and pool) with the Holiday Inn next door, and an ART Bus (Anaheim Resort Transit Bus) comes into the parking lot about every 20 to 30 minutes. This is the only stop that it usually makes, and then it goes straight to the bus stop area at Disneyland. (ART Bus Route 12). Cost for the ART bus is about $5 a day for adults and $3 a day for kids, but you can get 3 day or 5 day bus passes for about $2 to $3 a day. They sell bus passes at the front desk of the hotel, or from a machine in the parking lot at the bus stop.

Anyway, sometimes you can get a discount for Staybridge Inn through HotWire or things like that. At least my daughter finds deals like that. If the price is right, the bus makes it quite convenient, and the facilities are pretty decent.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-1_0-7-56.png
    upload_2019-5-1_0-7-56.png
    868.1 KB · Views: 3

Have you looked at DI&S larger rooms? They have rooms with bedding up to 10 people. They have a room with 4 queens and one with 4 queens and a sofa....

Limits on people in the rooms are set by the fire marshal. Hotel limits the number as they can get fined if they are caught.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter