Hotel options for 6 adults

DisneyCrazyX5

<font color=red>Do you know any cats?<br><font col
We are a family of 5 + 1 (mom, dad, twin sons age 19 and 24-year old son with the girlfriend-a first timer)planning a WDW trip for Dec of 2019. We have looked at so many options. We only go to WDW every 5 years so we have stayed at Polynesian-twice, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, Coronado and 1 night at Riverside. As you can see we like the deluxe resorts, but don't thank a deluxe resort is in the budget this time.
Our top options for now are
3 rooms at Pop (Pluses- three bathrooms, minuses long bus rides) around $8900 with QS dining
1 family suite and 1 room at Animations (pluses - 3 bathrooms, minuses - long bus ride and very bright rooms. Around $9400 with QS dining
2 rooms at Port Orleans - (Pluses - shorter bus rides, boat to Disney Springs, minuses - room size for 4 adults) Around $10,300 with QS dining
Jr Suite at Coronoda around $9000 with QS (pluses - 2 bathrooms, price, minuses locations and too much togetherness)

Help and suggestions, please

I’d do port orleans. Sure, it’s a bit smaller for four in a room, but they just finished the renovations at FQ. When you all are at hotel, kids will have freedom to take boat to downtown Disney or hit one of the pools. Also, it’s easy access to there for all of you for nighttime dinners.

It’s a great location, and relatively not too much more expensive than your other options.

If you're set on those 3 options, I'd do 3 rooms at Pop. At AoA if you did 1 suite and 1 standard room then you risk being at different ends of the property. I'd find POR at bit too small and not enough privacy.

Just to throw another option out there - have you considered renting DVC points? It can save quite a bit and you may be able to get a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom. Just a thought.

We have done 4 adults in one room at a deluxe but not a moderate. It was tight but doable for a short trip. Now we get 3 rooms.

I'd do Port Orleans. I'm 25 and have been on a few vacations (not to Disney) with my boyfriend and parents. We've tried staying with the four of us in one hotel room, and we've tried an Airbnb apartment with separate bedrooms. Next time, we are getting separate rooms/suites entirely. We need the space and the freedom to go off and do our own thing if we want. The boat to Disney Springs gives the kids that freedom.

I would do 3 rooms at Pop also. Otherwise, it's too much togetherness.

Not sure I'd pay for any dining plan. I've gotten it free twice, and it was fun, but way too much food! I'd pay out of pocket (although now that I can get an adult drink with each meal, it is a bit more appealing). Last trip, we ended up with 14 snacks left - we got all kinds of candy, trail mix, etc.... but it really wasn't needed! It made a dent in my carry-on bag going home!

I would do 3 rooms at Pop also. Otherwise, it's too much togetherness.

Not sure I'd pay for any dining plan. I've gotten it free twice, and it was fun, but way too much food! I'd pay out of pocket (although now that I can get an adult drink with each meal, it is a bit more appealing). Last trip, we ended up with 14 snacks left - we got all kinds of candy, trail mix, etc.... but it really wasn't needed! It made a dent in my carry-on bag going home!

I agree with taking a second look at whether the dining plan will benefit you. I know there are a few different "calculators" out there where you can plug in where you plan to eat and some other info and it will tell you if the dining plan is a good value for your party's situation. Whenever I have done it, I find that the dining plan would give me too many of some credits, but not enough of others, so I'd end up with a lot of wasted/unused credits and STILL paying out of pocket for some meals.

Also, maybe look at renting points and staying in a 2 bedroom villa, especially one of the less expensive ones like Old Key West. That would give you the same bedroom composition as 2 rooms at POFQ (and also similar proximity to Disney Springs), but with the additional living space of the living room, kitchen, and patio/balcony. The ability to prepare simple breakfasts/late night snacks in your villa could save time and money.

If these are the only choices, I'm voting for 3 rooms at Pop. Privacy and bathrooms win out over everything else!

Meanwhile, please consider PP's advice about the dining plan. It's never come even close to being a value for me and DH or me and my sister. Room-only discounts always work out much better. There's no guarantee there will be a room-only discount for your dates, but there are certainly discounts out for this December.

Also, have you thought about staying at a Disney Springs hotel? Just a thought.

Another vote for 3 rooms at pop. Keep in mind by Dec 2019 POP and AOA will have access to the gondola system which should provide continuous transportation to HS and Epcot. The downside to AOA is that you will definitely be rooming in two different sections with a suite and a regular room. With pop while you may not be guaranteed rooms next to each other you have a better chance of at least being in the same building.

Definitely three rooms at Pop—one for you and your husband, one for the twins, one for your older son and his GF. I'm sure she likes you all a lot, but I bet she'd really appreciate a quiet, private place to return to at the end of the night—especially if she's a first timer and not used to the major sensory overload WDW is!

We are a family of 5 + 1 (mom, dad, twin sons age 19 and 24-year old son with the girlfriend-a first timer)planning a WDW trip for Dec of 2019. We have looked at so many options. We only go to WDW every 5 years so we have stayed at Polynesian-twice, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, Coronado and 1 night at Riverside. As you can see we like the deluxe resorts, but don't thank a deluxe resort is in the budget this time.
Our top options for now are
3 rooms at Pop (Pluses- three bathrooms, minuses long bus rides) around $8900 with QS dining
1 family suite and 1 room at Animations (pluses - 3 bathrooms, minuses - long bus ride and very bright rooms. Around $9400 with QS dining
2 rooms at Port Orleans - (Pluses - shorter bus rides, boat to Disney Springs, minuses - room size for 4 adults) Around $10,300 with QS dining
Jr Suite at Coronoda around $9000 with QS (pluses - 2 bathrooms, price, minuses locations and too much togetherness)

Help and suggestions, please

Of the options you presented I would choose 3 rooms at POP. I would also toss the AOFA suite/room option out. I am not sure the sleep surfaces there are all that comfortable for adults.

I seldom suggest people rent DVC points as the first option because there are stipulations and restrictions that people may not think about, however you are not newbies, so a few concessions may worth it to have extra space and to be able to share a 2 bedroom villa.

We are paying cash at OKW this December because we have a number of us going and the DDP was free. Totally worth it for us, however if you rented points at a resort you could have a grocery deliver, and in some units I understand there is a full real kitchen. Skip the dining plan altogether, put the money aside for meals, and have some grab and go from your own villa. Any leftovers from dinner could be reheated and not lost.

We normally travel as an extended family and we share space easily, but this time we have my nieces with us, and they are newly married. I think they may need the added space to get away from us, and to enjoy WDW, the resort, and the views (Jenna has never been) alone. I wonder if your oldest and his GF may need that same kind of space as well.

Did you price 3 rooms at Port Orleans? You're paying extra for two adults every night, I think it's an extra $50 that way. You may find the total isn't that far off from Pop Century.

When are you going? Do you know if discounts will be available at that time?

Of those options, I would choose 3 rooms at Pop. It gives everyone the most space and privacy and also happens to be the lowest price point.

Does your POR price estimate include the extra adult charges for the room of 4? If it does, then I agree with PP that if you price out 3 rooms at POR, it might be a negligible price difference and perhaps worth the upgrade from Pop.

I also think 3 rooms at POP would be the way to go. It gives you privacy as well as extra room. And with the gondola going in it could be incredibly fast to get Epcot and HS. (If you would use the gondolas).

I do think it's funny that the OP asked about room configurations and 4 people have now told them to skip the QSDP, even though none of us know how they eat and what they like or even if they were counting on getting it free. The first person who mentioned it said it right. "Do the math and see if it's worth it to you" !

Cheers! :smooth:

I also think 3 rooms at POP would be the way to go. It gives you privacy as well as extra room. And with the gondola going in it could be incredibly fast to get Epcot and HS. (If you would use the gondolas).

I do think it's funny that the OP asked about room configurations and 4 people have now told them to skip the QSDP, even though none of us know how they eat and what they like or even if they were counting on getting it free. The first person who mentioned it said it right. "Do the math and see if it's worth it to you" !

Cheers! :smooth:

I was one of those who suggested skipping the plan and I usually never do that for the very reason you pointed out. My reasoning was because I somehow decided that cost was a factor, even though the OP never even suggested that it was. I have no idea why I jumped to that conclusion!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter