• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotel Parking fees crowd buses

BabybetterDisney

DIS Veteran
I have never taken a car in WDW, so the new parking fees do not affect me. Or so I thought, until I noticed last summer that the lines at bus stops have suddenly grew much longer. Why? One possible reason: people are not bringing their cars anymore to avoid parking fees. So they use the bus instead, crowding the already crowded bus.

My third new favorite poster.

giphy.gif

I do think fewer people are renting cars for their Disney resort stay because of the new parking fees, relying more on Uber and Disney Buses.
Not me. If I'm not staying DVC, and plan to rent a car, I now stay off-site!! It's bad enough to have to pay what the going rate for a value resort is, and then add in daily parking??? Nope. I can stay about a mile from the All Stars, and pay under $75 for a decent room. I have an AP, so don't pay to park at the parks.

I never really thought about how the parking fees could effect bus transportation, but this is a good point being made.

Nahhhhh the buses were a hot mess BEFORE they implemented the parking fees. That was fairly recent, the buses have been a problem for much longer...

Most of the things you have been bringing up are strictly a matter of capacity and visitor numbers - you can estimate that on any day, ~30,000 people are also in the Parks with you. There are no slow times anymore. There used to be, but now Disney is more accessible to more visitors, so they come. And the crowds get bigger. Just a New Disney problem, and I gather from the info you have shared with us that you went to Disney many times in the Good Ol' Days. It's just different now.

If I ever have a moment of insanity and paid for Disney hotel pricing again. I can guarantee I would not rent a car and pay for parking too. So yes before I would’ve driven, now would be on the bus

While it's probable that some people have opted not to rent a car due to parking fees, I haven't noticed any difference in bus lines.

Many of the people staying at the resorts last summer were grandfathered and didn't have to pay for parking yet. If you had booked before March XX (can't remember the exact date) you didn't have to pay. We actually found the buses to be less packed than normal on our June trip. One night when leaving MK at 9:30 (just a few minutes ahead of the fireworks crowds) our family of 5 had the entire bus to ourselves. That has never happened before.

I don't think they parking fee makes a noticeable impact on the buses. In the scheme of a Disney trip the parking fee is a relatively small amount. Annoying yes. But if people like having a car I don't see many going without to avoid paying the fee. More likely they will buy one less tee shirt or something.

I don't think they parking fee makes a noticeable impact on the buses. In the scheme of a Disney trip the parking fee is a relatively small amount. Annoying yes. But if people like having a car I don't see many going without to avoid paying the fee. More likely they will buy one less tee shirt or something.
I'd say the vast majority of guests are either
1, not even aware they are now paying for parking
or
2, haven't realized they haven't been paying for parking before.
They drive because they don't fly due to costs or like having a car, or both. Have some changed due to parking costs? Sure. Enough to put a dent in bus use? Nope.

Last edited:
I do think fewer people are renting cars for their Disney resort stay because of the new parking fees, relying more on Uber and Disney Buses.

Yep that is we started doing on vacation. Used to rent cars. Now it is easier and cheaper to use Lyft to get around.

I'd say the vast majority of guests are either
1, not even aware they are now paying for parking
or
2, haven't been paying for parking before.
They drive because they don't fly due to costs or like having a car, or both. Have some changed due to parking costs? Sure. Enough to put a dent in bus use? Nope.
Agreed. We don't drive to WDW and since we started using Magical Express haven't rented a car ( rarely went off property ). If for some reason we had a car we would still stay on property & pay the fee. And would still use the buses to get to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter