Hotel Question

ClassicPooh2

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip to DisneyLand sometime in July (not the 4th). We are trying to decide what hotel will best meet our needs. :)

It will be myself and husband (late 30's) and daughter (3 1/2). We have done WDW as a family but not DL. We would like to stay offsite, but be able to comfortably walk (not miles across heavy traffic) or have a spot with reliable shuttle service.

Our timeframe would probably be about a week so would like to have a place with a nice pool area for daughter.

Mid Range pricing would probably be our budget.

If anyone has suggestions or thoughts I would greatly appreciate it.

Have a GREAT DAY :wave2:

We stayed at the Howard Johnson in September. They have a good pool area and a fun fountain/splash area for kids. It wasn't real far, however there are probably 5 or 6 closer hotels. We did walk to Disneyland each day, but there is also an Anaheim Resort Transit that you can buy a pass for and they can drop you off. My 2 year old neice and 4 year old nephew were fine walking (we did get strollers once in Disneyland). The hotel is across from the top of Disneyland, but you have to walk down to the entrance area. The HoJo gets good reviews and my travel agent said it is her favorite place to stay off-site.

Thanks. That is one of the places that we have been looking at. It's helpful to hear how other preschool aged children survive the "walk"

My group of five inc. a 7 and 3 year old... the two mommas and grandpa (50s) are going the 19th we are staying at the Tropicana, I will let you all know how it goes. We did there because you can upgrade to a suite with a kitchen.

The closest hotel for walking is the Best Western Park Place Inn, but their pool area is not nice-just a pool between 4 walls! We really like the Hyatt with a kids suite, but you can't walk from there. Their shuttle is free, though and it works great! The pool area is nice and the rooms are nice. The Hilton Towers or Marriott are also really nice with nice pools and you can walk to the Timon parking lot and take the tram to the front, or they have shuttles. I haven't stayed at the Howard Johnson, so I can't vouch for that, but I've heard good things, too, as the previous poster stated. Other good ones are the Marriott Suites and Hilton Suites-nice rooms and pool with a good shuttle. :)

not to be picky, but we are lumping hotels and motels together.......are you picky about having a hotel ie interior coridors ? Or would a motel be ok ?

Not picky. hotel or motel would be fine. Usually when we spend a week somewhere we use our timeshare so hotel/motel shopping for a week is tough!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

We don't live far from Disneyland, but it is far enough away that we do like to stay overnight one or two nights. I swore that we would never stay offsite again, but next week we are trying the Candy Cane Inn. I read so many great reviews on tripadvisor that I just had to try it. And they have their own free shuttle that runs every half hour, though the walk isn't bad either. Since we haven't stayed there, I can't give you any details, but I thought I'd pass the name along anyway. Look at the website: candycaneinn.net.

So you are aware, you cannot compare Florida WDW to Cali in any way. I live in LA, but LOVE Orlando. I'm very picky about where my family stays, I know you said your not, but for really reasonable and comfortable accommodations off-site, I recommend the Hyatt. They have wonderful rooms that have been recently redone (think the Swan/Dolphin), with great beds and linens and a nice breakfast offering as well. Otherwise if your budget permits, I absolutely recommend the Grand Californian ( great location and atmosphere ). But I can relate if budget does not allow. Please be prepared for the "lack of charm" in LA compared to the FL location. As long as you remember this, you should have a great time!

Good Luck!
Brando

I visit Disneyland just about every weekend and stay at a hotel once a month. Bar far, the best hotel I have found in the area for price, pool, and staff is the Hojo in Anaheim. The walk is a bit, but with Mimi's Cafe (great food with a large kid's menu) right there for breakfast, and such a great pool area (A large pool with showers, towels, kid's spash area and a quiet pool in the back) there is really no beating it unless you pay for a more expensive 4+ star hotel.

Here is a site with pictures of the hotel and special rate offerings. :) If you have any questions, let me know. http://www.mouseinfo.com/index.php?page=hojo

We have stayed at the Tropicana Inn, right across the road from the main entrance. We have stayed there twice, and throughly enjoyed it although it is just a typical hotel room. This year we are staying the Embassy Suites in Garden Grove. I have heard from several people that it is an excellent place to stay. It's about a 10 - 15 min. walk or there is a shuttle bus to and from Disneyland which costs about $3. I hope these suggestions help you.

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

Disneyland August 1989
Disneyland July 1994
Disneyworld April 1997
Disneyland May 2001
Disneyland December 2005

Last year we stayed at the Park Inn.
-decent rooms
-clean
-ok pool, smelly hot-tub
-decent free continental breakfast
-Location, location, location! --can't be beat
-good service
-two good gift shops

This year we stayed at Holiday Inn Resort Area
-nice kids suite
-good restaurant, kids eat free
-free shuttle
-had to wait for the shuttle-inconvenient
-housekeeping ok
-service was ok
-gift shop was the pits

We will never stay off Harbour again. The location rules. At the end of the long busy day, it is nice to just walk over to your hotel, and not have to worry about missing your shuttle. Plus-you save tip money by not taking the shuttle!
We also like having the free continental breakfast.
And you can take your purchases back to the hotel in the middle of the day,o or get a sweater, or things like that.

The HoJo seems like it meets our needs. The negatives I've seen appear to be the death fear from traffic. For those of you who have stayed, is it that bad?

Also wondering if Disney View is the way to go???

Thanks for all the info so far. All the suggestions have been very useful and are certainly not crossed off our list yet.

I have stayed at the hojo one time a month for the past 3 years and never had any close calls with traffic. There IS traffic, and you have to watch for it carefully, but I don't think it is anything that is a major concern as long as you are alert. If it is a concern, there is a sidewalk which can be used along with crosswalks. It will just take longer to get to the park that way.

We had one of those near miss incidents with traffic when a car almost ran my husband and son down! Here is my tip: When you are returning to the HoJo from Disneyland as you cross the street into the parking lot, turn around and make sure there is not a car right there behind you getting ready to trun into the same parking lot. It is a noisy street so you can't really hear a car coming up right behind you so you need to look. Common sense I should have done but didn't. As I recall the guy was on a cell phone and made a sharp turn and just obviously didn't notice us and several others getting ready to cross that street! Walking to Disneyland is not a problem since you are walking, facing oncoming traffic and can see whats coming! My family had a decent stay there, I was just a little let down because I had heard such fabulous reviews making me think it was going to be some over the top experience. But our room was clean, the staff was great, we lucked out and didn't get a freeway facing room and my daughter still talks about those spray jets at the pool a year and half later! One thing I have noticed others complaining about is that some of the rooms have sky lights. In the early morning this would let in a lot of light. We liked that, so often in hotels we sleep way too late because it is so dark we don't realize its morning. I think if you go expecting an older hotel that is very well maintained and located within a busy city you will be fine. I disagree with another poster who said Disneyland isn't charming. Yes, it is surrounded by a city but once you enter those gates you will never know it! In fact I find Disneyland to be more charming than MK. Have a great trip!

We have stayed in both the Hojo and the Candy Cane Inn and, while we liked both and have nothing bad to say about the Hojo, if given the option we would always choose the Candy Cane Inn. It is a fairly easy walk with no busy street to cross, a direct, dedicated, regular shuttle, great continental breakfast, lovely pool area, laundry, beautiful grounds, nice clean rooms with feather duvets, stores very close....and, of course, candy canes! :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter