Hotel Requests-Is it rude?

Rainforest_Elf

No Worries
I'm having a dilemma here, disboard friends.

I'm going to Disney later this summer for a Disney Institute course, and plan on staying a few extra days to enjoy the parks. Who wouldn't, right?! I'm pretty sure at this point we'll be staying at the Grand Californian, since that's where the Disney Institute conference is being held anyway.

I've read that because of the crazy discounted rate we're getting, that likely means we'll be in rooms overlooking the parking lot. Umm. No thank you! I know that in the scheme of things we'll be in the room not a whole lot, but given the limited time I'll be in the parks, I'd like to eliminate long walks to and from the room, if possible. Also... I'm fat and out of shape, and it looks like the parking lot view rooms are further away than say, park view or pool view rooms.

I know that a request is NOT a demand, and even asking for certain things will never mean it's guaranteed, but when I call to book my room, should I just ask nicely? I'm usually the type of person who usually pays full price for everything and never asks for anything I didn't pay for, so asking for an "upgrade" of sorts seems out of the norm to me, but I hear about a lot of people doing it. What's the magic formula here. Luck? Kindness?

I'd say it doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you ask nicely. So here is something you might say when calling to make the reservation, "I realize I am getting a special rate because I am attending the institute, but I am wondering if it is possible to request a room that does not have a parking lot view. What view options might I have with a room at this rate?" Then just see what they say. In my experience, unless it happens to be a very busy time and the hotel is booked up or unless you are asking about something that breaks some important rule or procedure, the Disney hotel people will try to do what they can for you. As you say this is no guarantee, but I always feel they are trying to meet my request if I am asking kindly about the possibility.

I wouldn't ask for an upgrade, but I don't see anything wrong with asking if you could possibly get a room that doesn't have a parking lot view.

I like Congo Queen's suggestion for how to word your question. :thumbsup2

The largest rooms the GCH has are parking lot views (over valet.) They were about 15 steps from the main elevator. You can ask for upgrades, no problem. But don't expect them. You only become rude when you demand the upgrade.

The largest rooms the GCH has are parking lot views (over valet.) They were about 15 steps from the main elevator.

See, I don't care about room size. I'll be asking for a 1 king size bed room anyway since it's just me. I just care about being able to walk back to my room in a jiffy in the afternoon for a nap or a dip in the pool :)

See, I don't care about room size. I'll be asking for a 1 king size bed room anyway since it's just me. I just care about being able to walk back to my room in a jiffy in the afternoon for a nap or a dip in the pool :)

The parking lot view rooms are the ones with the closest walk. Trust me, the one time they were overbooked and put us in a bunkbed pool view room I thought I was in a scene from The Shining. The hallways for some of those upgraded view rooms look like they're about 3 miles long. Besides, if you get a parking lot view room, I'm pretty sure all of those have nice balconies. Those rooms are actually our preferred rooms at the GCH.

The parking lot view rooms are the ones with the closest walk. Trust me, the one time they were overbooked and put us in a bunkbed pool view room I thought I was in a scene from The Shining. The hallways for some of those upgraded view rooms look like they're about 3 miles long. Besides, if you get a parking lot view room, I'm pretty sure all of those have nice balconies. Those rooms are actually our preferred rooms at the GCH.

HAHAHAAHA Oh gosh! Yeah don't want Jack Nicholson paying me a visit on my Disney trip!!! :rotfl2:

So you're saying, looking at the map below, that rooms near, and above the convention center, nearest to the parking lot are the ones you want!?

I guess it's been awhile for me... the last time I visited Disney we were at the PPH and cut through the GCH and it seemed like we spent an awful lot of time weaving around hallways in GCH just to get into Downtown Disney, and we saw the parking lot a LOT on that trip just on foot. Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

4903090019_929481ddc9_o.jpg

The rooms directly over the reception desk are the ones that look out over the parking lot towards the DLH. Those ones will be closest to the lobby elevators and the way to DTD. I hated the pool view room they gave us once and opted to move after one day when a room over the reception desks opened up. Unpacking and packing and unpacking after just one day with a family of 4 is a pain but well worth it IMO.

Be aware there are only about 60 king beds in the hotel (out of 900 rooms.) I hope you get what you want!!

Be aware there are only about 60 king beds in the hotel (out of 900 rooms.) I hope you get what you want!!

Oh no! Really?! Do you think it's common for one guest to get a room with two queens because of availability? I don't really mind that aspect, like I said, I just want to be able to pop in and out of my room when I want to :)

Oh no! Really?! Do you think it's common for one guest to get a room with two queens because of availability? I don't really mind that aspect, like I said, I just want to be able to pop in and out of my room when I want to :)
Very common. Happens to me every trip. I've never gotten a king room, but I honestly don't care.

I always travel solo, and one time at WDW I was given a King room (this was before it was made a booking category), and I honestly felt weird in such a large bed by myself.

It's certainly not rude to request what you want. What would be rude is throwing a hissy fit on the phone or at the front desk if you don't get it.

The way I'd word the request is basically asking how much it would cost to upgrade to a king bed room, or a room close to the lobby, or whatever is important to you. In the best case they'll just give you what you're asking for free of charge. Or they may offer a reasonable upsell. Worst case is that they'll say it will cost more than you're willing to pay, but at least then you'll know and won't have even implied you were trying to take advantage of anything.

siskaren said:
I always travel solo, and one time at WDW I was given a King room (this was before it was made a booking category), and I honestly felt weird in such a large bed by myself.

Hm....you may want to try Match.com or a matchmaker. :)

It's fine to ask about an upgrade, as long as you don't expect it to be free.

It's certainly not rude to request what you want. What would be rude is throwing a hissy fit on the phone or at the front desk if you don't get it. The way I'd word the request is basically asking how much it would cost to upgrade to a king bed room, or a room close to the lobby, or whatever is important to you. In the best case they'll just give you what you're asking for free of charge. Or they may offer a reasonable upsell. Worst case is that they'll say it will cost more than you're willing to pay, but at least then you'll know and won't have even implied you were trying to take advantage of anything.

I agree completely. It's the entitlement-expecting person who is rude. Inquiring about options is just savvy-traveling. :)

I've only stayed at the Grand once and we had a parking lot view. We were on the 2nd floor I think, because we never used the elevator, only the stairs. We were right next to where the monorail went by and it was awesome! I loved waving at the monorail and it was really quiet and super fast to get to the lobby too.

We stayed at the Grand Californian in 2005, and oh my gosh the view was amazing. We looked out over Downtown Disney right above the World of Disney store, and at night got to watch the jazz band play. HOWEVER, once we took our elevator up to our room, we had to walk two full length hallways and a half to get to our room. It was awful at the end of the day when your feet hurt. It was almost as bad as taking the tram to the parking garage and waking to the other end to get to your parking spot. So I don't know what has changed since then, but I know that our perk had a huge con with it. Haha. To be completely honest, though, I would do it again. The beautiful view makes up for the hike to get back to the hotel room.

Also, we didn't ask for that room. It's just the room we ended up with. I'm getting married at Disneyland in October, and I very kindly asked if our Disneyland Hotel room could be facing the parks. They said they would make note of it and do the best they could, but no promises. So we night end up with a nice view, we might not, but I just asked nicely and they said they would try. Never hurts to ask!

I just returned from a convention at the DLR. I made a note on my reservation for the Adventure Tower. Upon arrival I was given the Frontier Tower which is considerably farther away from the convention center and viewed the parking lot. I kindly and politely asked if any rooms were available in the Adventure Tower as I had my girls with me and would be making several trips a day back and forth from the convention center. The desk clerk said there were none available at check in, but if I didn't mind moving she would reserve one for me the next day. We stayed 5 nights total and it was so nice being closer.

I guess the point of my story is it doesn't hurt to ask and be sure and give them a legitimate reason. I had a wonderful stay at a great convention rate overlooking DTD on the 6th floor. My feet were very thankful too as each night I went in the parks with my girls until closing!

I just returned from a convention at the DLR. I made a note on my reservation for the Adventure Tower. Upon arrival I was given the Frontier Tower which is considerably farther away from the convention center and viewed the parking lot. I kindly and politely asked if any rooms were available in the Adventure Tower as I had my girls with me and would be making several trips a day back and forth from the convention center. The desk clerk said there were none available at check in, but if I didn't mind moving she would reserve one for me the next day. We stayed 5 nights total and it was so nice being closer.

I guess the point of my story is it doesn't hurt to ask and be sure and give them a legitimate reason. I had a wonderful stay at a great convention rate overlooking DTD on the 6th floor. My feet were very thankful too as each night I went in the parks with my girls until closing!

That's good to hear, ORDisneyfans. I think I've just decided to not bother with any special requests and just see what they give me. Part of me thinks that because I'm attending a customer service oriented seminar that they're going to try and "wow" me and put me in a park view room or something:rotfl2: I can dream, right? In all reality I'm sure I'll be staring at the parking lot when I'm in the room.

As a side note, how was your convention? Was it through the Disney Institute?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter