house of blues

faster

Earning My Ears
hi there, I've been lurking around the boards for a while now picking up useful hints and tips (even though I've been WDW twice before;) )and I love it here. but I'm curious about the house of blues at DTD essentialy:

- is there an age limit for entrance (ie 21+ only)?
- what's the food/music like?
- is there live music every night?
- does it cost anything to get in?

the reason I'm asking is that me and my mum are heading off to WDW this sunday for two weeks :D but it will probably be my last chance to go (for a while at least 'cos I'm hopefully off to uni in a years time) so I want to take this chance to see some live jazz/blues bands:smooth:

Right, first things first -

House of Blues is split into two bits:

The restaurant
The Concert Venue

The restaurant has no age limits, and serves good, if expensive (as all the food in the West Side is) southern style grub (burgers, ribs and chicken, but well prepared and very tasty).

I can't remember if there's live music in the restaurant at night, but there is a Gospel Lunch on Sundays. There's obviously blues and jazz piped into the restaurant constantly, but that's just bacground music off a CD as far as I know...

The concert venue is a big barn, and regularly host bands, sometimes big ones (Garbage were playing when we were there once). It may have age restrictions, I'm not sure, and entrance costs - as would be the case with any venue in the UK.

I'd recommend it, even if you don't see any bands, the food's well worth the money, and the restaurant's very lively.

JP

I have never been, but the week we were at WDW the band Train was at House of Blues. I would have given anything to see them play. That's a pretty big name to be playing at Downtown Disney.

Our schedule was so busy and with no one to watch the kids - we stayed at Ft.W cabins; but I love Train (got their CD for my birthday!) and they were so close - but yet so far.

I can't really comment on the club question but as for the food at House of Blues we were very disappointed. Now, granted, we are used to good cajun food living in South Mississippi. We have some find cajun seafood places here so I didn't expect a whole lot at House of Blues but the food really was the worst meal we had at WDW. I had Shrimp Etoufee which they served without rice! I guess it was a mistake because after about a 30 minute wait I finally got them to bring me a bowl of rice. DH got the cajun meatloaf and said it was pretty bad. I forget what DS got but probably jambalaya or something like that. That is his favorite. Also, when we were there the lines to get in were very long of course. We expected that. But the restaurant was so crowded you could barely move. I mean the next table I probably could have reached over and eaten off of their plates we were so close together. It is very, very loud in the restaurant too. I know some people rave about the food but being used to good cajun I really could not recommend it.

I feel I have to leap in to defend the place here!

You talk about the meatloaf - we've been a few times, and that's my favourite dish. Having said that, the last time we went, it was very dried out, as if it had been kept warm. The jambalaya is pretty good if I remember correctly. Fair enough, all food opinion is very much unique to one person, so I can't argue with you here.

However, whenever we've eaten there, we've had plenty of space between tables... maybe they shove more in when it's busy to cope with the number of people. There are usually long lines at peak time (due to the Cirque du Soleil being next door), but we usually just head there a bit later, maybe 9pm, and get straight in.

I'm used to eating late at home though, so this probably wouldn't suit everyone.

I saw Chris Isaac here a few years ago, and it was great! We got there early, and stood about 1 foot from the stage. We were also able to take turns getting food and drinks to kill time prior to the concert.

The tickets did cost extra, but I dont remember them being too costly. If there is someone performing there that you like, I recommend going!

some of ya'll talk like this is just a little Downtown Disney thing......but HOB is one of the major concert venues in Orlando, your favorite band either goes there, Hard Rock Live (at Citywalk) or the TD Waterhouse.....and that's an arena. I have seen John Mayer, Jason Mraz, O Town, Mandy Moore, BBMak, and Jessica Simpson there, and am planning on going to see Kirk Franklin and Toby Mac there soon too :)

The ticket prices are usual for a concert, I've gotten in free to see a no-name band, and then I have heard of people paying $50 for a Brian McKnight ticket......

And I'm no expert on cajun food, but I do love eating it and all things spicy (I had plenty of REAL cajun in NOLA when we went there) and I was excited to go to eat at HOB when my parents decided to take me one year.....we don't really ever plan on going back. I also ordered the jambalaya (my fav cajun dish) and I had to use half of the hot sauce bottle to give it ANY sort of flavor! I just stay at home and cook zatarins for myself :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter