• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

house rental Yellowstone/Grand Teton area

kid-at-heart

DIS Veteran
We would like to rent a house (week or two) within an hour's drive of the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area, Montana or Wyoming. The house does not need to be super close to the parks since the majority of our party is older and just want to be close to the parks, not really in the parks. They mostly want to be able to sit outside, look at the view, and hopefully see a bit of wildlife. They also enjoy a bit of lite hiking but nothing too major. We do not need a fancy $3000 a week place. Just somewhere quiet, clean, comfortable and with at least three bedrooms.

Any suggestions as to where to search?

Thanks,
Kate

Hi, I just spent 6 months in Yellowstone working in the park, there really is no place close, you are either in the park or out of it. On the borders are Gardiner, that's at the northern entrance, cute town, 5 miles from Mammoth. Then there is Cooke City- northeast entrance, small town. West Yellowstone is at the west entrance- my favorite-it is a tourist town, but there are things to do- IMAX theater, The Wolf and Grizzley Experience, movie theater and restaurants. Or you can go to Cody- that's 50 miles from the eastern border- lot of history, if you go there don't miss the Buffalo Bill Museum (don't be put off by it's name- it's basically 5 museums in one). The Grand Tetons are just an hour south of the park Teton Village is nice.

You have to remember that it is a drive from these towns into the main drive- and it can be a long drive. Even though mile wise it is only 15 miles it may take you up to hour to travel into the park. The speed limit is 35 mph, the roads are all two lanes, there will be bear jams, bison jams, elk jams etc. If people see an animal they stop.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Sherry

Have you tried vrbo.com or homeaway.com? (They're the same thing now).

Hi, I just spent 6 months in Yellowstone working in the park, there really is no place close, you are either in the park or out of it. On the borders are Gardiner, that's at the northern entrance, cute town, 5 miles from Mammoth. Then there is Cooke City- northeast entrance, small town. West Yellowstone is at the west entrance- my favorite-it is a tourist town, but there are things to do- IMAX theater, The Wolf and Grizzley Experience, movie theater and restaurants. Or you can go to Cody- that's 50 miles from the eastern border- lot of history, if you go there don't miss the Buffalo Bill Museum (don't be put off by it's name- it's basically 5 museums in one). The Grand Tetons are just an hour south of the park Teton Village is nice.

You have to remember that it is a drive from these towns into the main drive- and it can be a long drive. Even though mile wise it is only 15 miles it may take you up to hour to travel into the park. The speed limit is 35 mph, the roads are all two lanes, there will be bear jams, bison jams, elk jams etc. If people see an animal they stop.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Sherry

Thanks Sherry, we have visited Yellowstone and know it can be slow moving to get into the park. I am glad you posted the towns, that will help a lot in pinpointing where I should be looking. Teton Village would be south of the Grand Tetons also, yes? I think we would prefer to be closer to Grand Tetons than to Yellowstone.

Have you tried vrbo.com or homeaway.com? (They're the same thing now).

Thanks GrandBob, I have briefly looked at vrbo, I did not realize they and homeaway were one and the same. I will look again.

Kate

Last summer we stayed at Island Park Village Resort in Island Park, ID. It took us about 25 minutes to get to the west gate of Yellowstone each day. The resort's décor could be updated - but it was spotless and we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. There was a good restaurant within walking distance of the resort.

We were in a 1 bedroom - but I believe there are larger units. The prices run from $150 - $200 a night.

http://www.islandparkvillageresort.com/

Janis

They don't really use craigslist up there(I spent the better part of 6 months in the Jackson, Wy area last year) they use jacksonholeradio.com to post rentals. Just click on the classified section. You can also try airbnb.com as they have a LOT of rentals on there. Jackson is about an hour from Jackson Lake Lodge in the Tetons and about 1.5-2 hours(depending on wildlife) from the south entrance to Yellowstone. You can also try Wilson, Wy(about 20 minutes drive south east of Jackson), Dubois(kind of middle of nowhere (i.e. no grocery store, few services) but about 20 minutes from the main gate of the Tetons). Star Valley, Wy ranges between 35 and 100 miles from Jackson depending on which town you choose. It will be cheaper to rent there than in Jackson though. Hope that helps!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter