• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How are December fast passes going?

I am one who believes the FP situation is going to improve literally overnight once the parties finish up. I actually think the crazy crowded Christmas - New Years people will have better access than we do. But that's just my hunch based on ADR's. My ADR situation for this upcoming trip was so shocking to me (NO BOG lunch, at ANY TIME ANY DAY at 180. I hadn't booked my room yet.) For my Easter week trip, I made sure I booked my room right before the 180 just in case but the ADR's were WIDE OPEN, even for the first day of my trip.
I hope you're right for all those Christmas to NYE guests. The FPs should get better with no parties and longer hours - how much so is the question (but let's be optimistic and vote for "significantly"). As for the wide open ADRs at Easter vs. December, I have only two words: free dining.
I like the fast passes over at Universal. They get you to the front of most of their rides and you can get one just for staying at one of their "deluxe" resorts. Otherwise I would pay to get one because they are worth it.
I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a great explanation somewhere that discussed the different ways that parks handle ride line systems/benefits, breaking it down into express pass vs. ride reservation vs. virtual queues. Universal (like many parks) offers an express pass: ride anything anytime. Fast Pass at WDW isn't an express pass - it's a ride reservation system. Virtual queues (like at Universal's Volcano Bay) have you electronically check in for a ride and come back at your designated time (no stand-by lines). FastPass certainly isn't perfect, but it is free and available to everyone (at least for now). I don't even want to think about the outcry if Disney went the Universal route and offered express passes to all of its Deluxe resort guests or what they would cost if you could buy them.

I hope you're right for all those Christmas to NYE guests. The FPs should get better with no parties and longer hours - how much so is the question (but let's be optimistic and vote for "significantly").

One issue though is that they have not (yet) extended the Christmas/NYE week hours. And it's getting close to FP time! I'm sure MK will be open past 10pm most nights that week, but listed at 10pm for most nights (and even 9pm for two nights). So for the people wanting late night FPs, go back and check once they update the hours -- there will suddenly be a lot of extra FPs...

One issue though is that they have not (yet) extended the Christmas/NYE week hours. And it's getting close to FP time! I'm sure MK will be open past 10pm most nights that week, but listed at 10pm for most nights (and even 9pm for two nights). So for the people wanting late night FPs, go back and check once they update the hours -- there will suddenly be a lot of extra FPs...
Excellent point. Last year, MK was open until at least midnight every night the last two weeks of December (not counting party nights). And I recall there was a recent flood of FPs for FoP when they extended park hours (I believe for November). It's not over yet if there were no FPs 60 days out. IIRC correctly, the recent flood also occurred before the 30 day mark, which still gave onsite guests an advantage when picking up the extra slots.

We got everything we wanted at basically the exact time we wanted it.
That said, we weren't interested in flights of passage and we will get to ride frozen ever after with our dessert party so we didn't need a fast pass for either of those two. But we got two 7DMT, Peter Pan, TSMM, and everything else we wanted.

I had the WORST time making fastpasses this morning. I didn't get FoP or 7DMT for any of the days we were looking. My sister and I will be trying to modify along the way but no luck this morning. I also could not get the Fastpass page to load on either of the browsers I tried today so ended up having to do them all from the app which was annoying!

Thanks for the update...I was hoping for 12/16 but doubt that will happen. I could also do 12/17 morning but that is our last day and at this point that seems unlikely I've been checking on touring plans (but it is a day behind because it refreshes at midnight) so I'm not surprised.

I just checked FOP on 12/16 and there's quite a few available so you may be able to get them! (but they're all in the afternoon/night after 4pm)

Just did my fastpasses...not too bad. I got FOP for Sat (60+3) at 4p (earliest) and there were still all other evening times after that. I didn't check the next day. I had no problem with 7DMT on 60+4 but i was trying for afternoon. I also got FEA my first evening. No issues with anything else at all...pretty much at the times I wanted. I will probably keep trying to modify time on FoP, but otherwise I'm satisfied.

Agree. It wasn't too bad from 60+3 onward for 4 people. I did schedule my days such that I wasn't trying for hard stuff (fea, 7DMT, fop) sooner than that.

Just did my fastpasses...not too bad. I got FOP for Sat (60+3) at 4p (earliest) and there were still all other evening times after that. I didn't check the next day. I had no problem with 7DMT on 60+4 but i was trying for afternoon. I also got FEA my first evening. No issues with anything else at all...pretty much at the times I wanted. I will probably keep trying to modify time on FoP, but otherwise I'm satisfied.

how can you check 12/16 already? I can't see that far and I checkin on the 16th

ahhhh I forgot that detail...so I can't try until OCT 17...... that's my 60

Just was able to score some FP for Mine Train for first day at 8:30 AM. That is for Dec 8th. There was a couple more available

Interesting that 12/8 and 12/9 have MK regular opens at 8am. And 12/8 also has 7am EMH. I wonder if the following week MK will have 8am openings - as of right now it doesn't.

Interesting that 12/8 and 12/9 have MK regular opens at 8am. And 12/8 also has 7am EMH. I wonder if the following week MK will have 8am openings - as of right now it doesn't.

Yeah those changed fairly recently. 12/9 is open until Midnight now also. There is a night time show that is only showing up for that night now so I might have to try to jump over there after I am done at AK.

Ooh..that'd be nice. Was the 12/8 and 12/9 recently updated to 8am?

EDIT: nevermind! just saw the post above! I hope they extend hours the following week as well!

I was able to get fast passes this morning for FOP for 6 people for Dec 16. The earliest time available was 5 pm.

I did not have trouble getting anything for any day I wanted save AK on Dec 13, all FOP were gone for 2 people. Dec 14 there were no Frozen fast passes for 4 all day.

All of my MK days all rides were available.

Ooh..that'd be nice. Was the 12/8 and 12/9 recently updated to 8am?

EDIT: nevermind! just saw the post above! I hope they extend hours the following week as well!

With looking at the history, the hours will more than likely be extended the following week as well, especially weekends. I'd be shocked if they didn't.

Does anyone know how often TP updates their fastpass availability? I wanted to see where I'm at after this mornings round of FP. Just by looking at what's available last night and two rounds of people booking until I do (including this morning), it appears I'll be getting 7DMT in the afternoon at best on Sat Dec 16th. That jacks with my desire for 4th fp but it is what it is I suppose.

In all the years of planning and membership to the site, I never knew of the FP availability section (prob bc I never needed to know when we usually go), so thanks to those in this forum that shared!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter