How are you handling rising food and energy costs?

Well, she said $5 per person, which comes out to...~$10 a day.

I have a tough time believing that you have just pork roast and carrots, nothing else. I can see avoiding starch, but, no seasoning? Nothing else beyond your 3oz of carrots? No butter or oil for cooking? When I do a pork roast, it's either in the crockpot with other vegetables (onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, some seasonings), or in the oven. We like a brown sugar-garlic glaze, but maybe not for you--but still, we'd have vegetables with it, as well as seasoning.

Even if you count leftover pork as tomorrow's lunch, you would have something with it (more carrots?). And what about breakfast? Snacks? Do you only drink water, always?

I'm all for saving money, but this sounds like some kind of crappy austerity plan.
My wife did make gravy with the drippings. Not sure how much 2 tablespoons of flour costs. Limited seasonings as I had an ablation done 2 weeks ago and I was on a soft bland diet.......that ended today. It was done in the crockpot.
I had oatmeal for breakfast today, and cottage cheese today for lunch, not sure how many pennies that cost!!!! :rotfl2:

Wow, 16 ounces of a protein is pretty big serving. I suspect you don't order off the Senior menu in restaurants.
Meat shrinks by at least 25% during cooking and some pork almost 40% depending on the cut. Believe me, after cooking at 2 lbs of a pork loin, you don't have 2 lbs of meat there. But...not going to lie, I've always been a big eater. Between the evening meal (and my husband works manual labor all day), there's enough left for me to pack a small lunch portion. I barely go out to restaurants and didn't even know they had senior menus, but I eat the oversized American portions when I do go out.

Meat shrinks by at least 25% during cooking and some pork almost 40% depending on the cut. Believe me, after cooking at 2 lbs of a pork loin, you don't have 2 lbs of meat there. But...not going to lie, I've always been a big eater. Between the evening meal (and my husband works manual labor all day), there's enough left for me to pack a small lunch portion. I barely go out to restaurants and didn't even know they had senior menus, but I eat the oversized American portions when I do go out.
My wife and I have really noticed my appetite has decreased since turning 60, and we're both almost 66 now. After my procedure, I was on a soft bland diet and could not lift more than 10 pounds. Those restrictions ended today, so I haven't been too physically active. We did walk 2.6 miles yesterday, and I cut the front lawn today. I am 6'2" and 230 pounds, which is the line between being overweight and being obese, so I clearly need to increase my activity and eat even less than I am.
Many restaurants have Senior menus, which have smaller portions and lower prices. IHOP calls theirs the 55+ menu.
I had the 55+ Turkey dinner Saturday, it's $5 cheaper than the regular turkey dinner.
https://www.ihop.com/en/menu/55and-menu

Wish it was $5 a day for food. $75 a week divided by 7 days is just over $10 a day.
2 pound pork roast last night was $6.74 with baby carrots that cost 98 cents for a one pound bag made enough for three meals, at what, about $2.58 per meal?
Walmart and the local chain grocery store. We could cut corners more. We splurge on Fairlife milk for $4.38 a quart that lasts us a week. I want to keep my sugar intake down, but I could buy regular non-fat milk for $1.72 a quart.
That sounds fairly similar to portions that I eat (and just to add, I'm a good bit younger if that means anything).
I'll get a pack of chicken tenders, for around $5, usually has 8 in the pack. Then a bag of frozen veggies (green beans or corn usually), for about $1 or so. And that's 4 lunches for me for the week for around $6, maybe $7 max.

I'm always amazed at how much some people eat. When I go out to eat, a standard meal is almost always 2 meals for me, often even 3. But so many people way overeat.

Last edited:

That sounds fairly similar to portions that I eat (and just to add, I'm a good bit younger if that means anything).
I'll get a pack of chicken tenders, for around $5, usually has 8 in the pack. Then a bag of frozen veggies (green beans or corn usually), for about $1 or so. And that's 4 lunches for me for the week for around $6, maybe $7 max.

I'm always amazed at how much some people eat. When I go out to eat, a standard meal is almost always 2 meals for me, often even 3. But so many people way overeat.
When we eat dinner in a restaurant we often skip lunch that day, or, if we order a regular item instead of a Senior portion, we bring home leftovers.

My wife did make gravy with the drippings. Not sure how much 2 tablespoons of flour costs. Limited seasonings as I had an ablation done 2 weeks ago and I was on a soft bland diet.......that ended today. It was done in the crockpot.
I had oatmeal for breakfast today, and cottage cheese today for lunch, not sure how many pennies that cost!!!! :rotfl2:
If this is truly how you eat, you really need to up your vegetable consumption. Personally, I love fresh blueberries in my oatmeal--you could do raisins, I'm sure they're cheaper, and have natural sugars in them. But, according to what you list, you had exactly one serving of vegetables, none of fruit, and very little grains (whole grain is fine, I understand about the diabetic diet).

It also must be great to get off the bland diet--that would make me lose the will to live! But, I'm Italian, we like flavor.

If this is truly how you eat, you really need to up your vegetable consumption. Personally, I love fresh blueberries in my oatmeal--you could do raisins, I'm sure they're cheaper, and have natural sugars in them. But, according to what you list, you had exactly one serving of vegetables, none of fruit, and very little grains (whole grain is fine, I understand about the diabetic diet).

It also must be great to get off the bland diet--that would make me lose the will to live! But, I'm Italian, we like flavor.
Oh, I did have a banana and an apple as a snack. Funny you mention I need to up my veggie consumption. Before I retured I was known as the veggie guy at work because I often took salads, sliced tomatoes, raw broccoli, peas in the pod for my lunch.

Oh, I did have a banana and an apple as a snack. Funny you mention I need to up my veggie consumption. Before I retured I was known as the veggie guy at work because I often took salads, sliced tomatoes, raw broccoli, peas in the pod for my lunch.
On the good side, vegetables are generally cheaper than meat/protein. Unless you're buying cherries out of season or some such thing. You can even grow your own--as an Italian, I'm required to grow tomatoes. It's not up for debate. I'll likely have some bruschetta later (I don't make my own mozzarella, but I do grow basil, too).

Apparently a lot less than us too. And we’re in our mid to late 60s also. I always have roasted potatoes & carrots with pork roast. Plus apple sauce. Just 1/3 of a bag of carrots wouldn’t be enough vegetables for me.
1/6th of a bag if one bag was three meals for two people.

I do eat a lot and always have. Fortunately, I'm fairly lucky that I'm not overweight due to it. It's been more of a struggle as I've hit my 50s and at this point I could stand to lose 10 lbs. When I'm focusing on that, I definitely eat like you and TVGuy and my weight can drop way down. But I am just a hungry person apparently.

Ah, Sam's Club is Walmart, FYI.

And yes, I bought ham at Walmart today.

And yet with all the destination price hikes, touristy places seem full. I just got back from San Diego. Prices were kind of insane for hotels and even VRBOs/AirBnBs seemed shocking compared to last year. There seems to be no shortage of demand for this so someone's got money to spare, lol!

YES! I'm stumped as to how and why this is happening. Figuring something will bottom out at some point.

i swear, every time i go shopping these days i experience a 'WTFudge' moment when i glance at the price of something and am just floored at the cost. in may it was frozen fries-the 32 oz bags were just shy of $6 each :faint: . today? hidden valley ranch dressing-36 oz 'on sale' for $6.98:faint::faint:. i can remember when my kids were little and their preschool used gallons of the stuff as 'yummy dipping sauce' to entice kids to eat raw veggies-i have to imagine they can no longer afford to do that.

:faint: seriously????? is this for a high end organic type brand? if not you might do better ordering online. i can get del monte canned corn at 4/$4.98 w/free prime delivery on amazon. canned goods have'nt increased to your extent around us-i got chick peas on sale for 87 cents a couple of weeks ago but i am find other shelf stable stuff i can get a much better deal on ordering from amazon or other sources.

Oof, canned vegetables are generally around .79 a can here.

Here you go. No exaggeration. No special, high end, organic brand. Below is a pic for Del Monte peas, but the corn and chick peas are the same price: $2.79 per can. (Canned yams are about $3.49 per can. :sad2:) When there is a sale, which is about every 6-8 weeks, the corn & peas are down to a mere $2 a can. :rolleyes: :headache:

peas.jpg

If I want to get corn for $0.79 a can, I have to take a bus to Walmart in NJ to get their store brand. I've done it, but it hurts my back to bring items home on the bus. (I'm not going to make a trip just to buy 4 cans. I want to buy enough to make the trip worthwhile.) I have brought a little cart with me, but the bus driver won't open up the luggage area underneath the bus to stow the filled up cart. (The drivers treat the buses more like a trip around town on the local bus, rather than opening the storage and stowing luggage for a cross country trip.) So, I have to take the the heavy bags off the cart and lug them up & down the stairs of the bus, then put them back on the cart. OUCH! :headache:

Last edited:
(Canned yams are about $3.49 per can. :sad2:)

i wanted to grab a couple of fresh yams to switch up our usual baked potato w/ bbq-$2.24 EACH :faint: we are not talking per pound, not organic.

i just went on my walmart account to compare prices (they keep a history of online as well as in-store purchases) over the past year or so-

mocha flavored ground coffee (18 months ago vs. today) $6.27 vs. $8.98

stouffer's frozen lasagna (22 months ago vs. today) 18 oz $3.52 vs 10.5 oz $3.48.

i swear, every time i go shopping these days i experience a 'WTFudge' moment when i glance at the price of something and am just floored at the cost. in may it was frozen fries-the 32 oz bags were just shy of $6 each :faint: . today? hidden valley ranch dressing-36 oz 'on sale' for $6.98:faint::faint:. i can remember when my kids were little and their preschool used gallons of the stuff as 'yummy dipping sauce' to entice kids to eat raw veggies-i have to imagine they can no longer afford to do that.
Go to Sams and Costco and you can get the 8-pound bag for around 12. I remember when those were 6 dollars.

Here you go. No exaggeration. No special, high end, organic brand. Below is a pic for Del Monte peas, but the corn and chick peas are the same price: $2.79 per can. (Canned yams are about $3.49 per can. :sad2:) When there is a sale, which is about every 6-8 weeks, the corn & peas are down to a mere $2 a can. :rolleyes: :headache:

View attachment 772562

If I want to get corn for $0.79 a can, I have to take a bus to Walmart in NJ. I've done it, but it hurts my back to bring items home on the bus. (I'm not going to make a trip just to buy 4 cans. I want to buy enough to make the trip worthwhile.) I have brought a little cart with me, but the bus driver won't open up the luggage area underneath the bus to stow the filled up cart. (The drivers treat the buses more like a trip around town on the local bus, rather than opening the storage and stowing luggage for a cross country trip.) So, I have to take the the heavy bags off the cart and lug them up & down the stairs of the bus, then put them back on the cart. :headache:
I just bought 8 cans of corn for 6.99 at Sams's. Bulk shopping is really the way to go.

Just bought a giant bag of sweet potatoes at Costco for like $5. Huge bags of frozen French fries are around $10. Whole flats of canned goods are like $7. Thank goodness for Costco. It is hard buying things at the regular grocery store when you know how much they sell for at Costco.

View attachment 772562

If I want to get corn for $0.79 a can, I have to take a bus to Walmart in NJ. I've done it, but it hurts my back to bring items home on the bus. (I'm not going to make a trip just to buy 4 cans. I want to buy enough to make the trip worthwhile.) I have brought a little cart with me, but the bus driver won't open up the luggage area underneath the bus to stow the filled up cart. (The drivers treat the buses more like a trip around town on the local bus, rather than opening the storage and stowing luggage for a cross country trip.) So, I have to take the the heavy bags off the cart and lug them up & down the stairs of the bus, then put them back on the cart. :headache:
Just checked these on my Wegman's app (Virginia store) and they are $1.79 per can on the app (generally about 20 cents cheaper on the shelf). So much variation between locale, stores, etc. The storebrand is 79 cents.

Just bought a giant bag of sweet potatoes at Costco for like $5. Huge bags of frozen French fries are around $10. Whole flats of canned goods are like $7. Thank goodness for Costco. It is hard buying things at the regular grocery store when you know how much they sell for at Costco.

i don't ever remember my costco selling sweet potatoes but i know invantory varies with them by region. no flats of canned goods for $7 at mine, the only brand they sell is del monte which is currently 12 for $12.99 there. i can get it at walmart for a bit over $1 less per dozen but i actually prefer their great value brand (tastes better/lower sodium) which i can get for $7.48 a dozen delivered free to my door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter