• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How bad is New Years week really?

Zooey

Mouseketeer
Hey everybody,
We’re thinking of going down dec 29-4, staying at dolphin, going to Epcot for New Years Eve.

We don’t need to see and do everything, I’m wondering more about what it’s really like that entire week, since crowds are at peak. Anyone have experiences to share?

Crowds generally don’t bother me, but never been there during peak time like that.
Thanks!

It’s fun!!! My favourite time of year to go. :)
I love the crowds and energy.

I find rope drop nutty, but if you just go to the parks late in the morning or later in the day, it almost seems like it could be any other time in terms of getting through security check and getting into the parks.

Ride wait times are continuously high, but we had really good luck getting additional fp’s in the evening at MK.

I don’t recommend driving your own car, but we find the Disney buses to be fantastic.

Last edited:
so so bad. I go all year, but I really can't take it during this week. I had a panic attack this past year in Magic Kingdom because I couldn't walk anywhere and it was just bad. I would never pay what a Disney trip costs to go at this time. Even the People Mover had lines nearing 30 minutes. Ew.

We prefer XMas week - just as many people, way longer park hours. NYE week seems much busier, but it’s in part due to the ridiculously short hours.

At least this year Marathon weekend is the next week & not tied to NYE week. We’ll be there Dec 30-Jan 5 as DH has work restrictions that allow that week only.

I just don't think there's any sugar coating it. It's packed. You have to expect that going in, have a plan if you're really trying to do everything and know that you're going to be in for crowds like you've never seen. In my personal experience, I've found Epcot on New Years is a little more managable only because they are a lot better than the Kingdom at crowd control. But that's just what I've dealt with over the years. They section everything off in "one-way" lines. Maybe the Kingdom does that now but they didn't use to. Kingdom normally does the fireworks on the night before New Years also so we always go to those then Epcot on New Years. We've also been there 40+ times at this point so I'm not trying to go crazy. I "people watch" a lot on NYE trips...

I have done it twice.
First time was the week between NYE and Christmas because my daughter was singing in the candlelight processional with her HS choir.
The second we were picking her up from the college program.
We enjoyed both times but went with the expectation it would be crowded. Enjoyed it so much taking my husband for NYE this year. But when the ride in Mexico is filling a que and spilling out the main door you aren't going to ride much without a fast pass.
Go as early as possible. Morning EMH were amazingly empty.
Eat at off times or plan sit downs.
Have fun. The people watching is amazing.

Wow, really? So, hotel prices drop on January 2 (see any rate calendar at the WDW hotel booking pages), but it's still super busy? I get that the drop in hours doesn't help, but it's Christmas crowded after New Year's?

We went to Universal last year between Christmas and NY. When we pulled onto the property, there was a big digital message board that said Volcano Bay was at capacity. It was 58 degrees.

Some people love it. I hate it. I thought New Year's Eve at Epcot was horrible. By 7pm, you couldn't walk more than a few inches at a time. Wall to wall people around World Showcase. People blowing horns in your ears. All I could think about was what would happen if someone started a panic. Not a pretty thought. I did once. Never again.

I think you'l find it's either a "love it" response or a "hate it" response. Haven't done early January, but have done Xmas to NYE twice. We're in the love it camp, but you do have to have patience. It's super busy. Long lines for everything, MDE Is your friend here. We tend to steer clear of the places/times where it's going to be the worst, such as MK on Xmas (though we did it once just to say we were there) or Epcot on NYE (we don't drink, so want nothing to do with WorldShowcase that night).

If you want to do it, go for it. Just have realistic expectations.

We've done it a couple of times and are going again this year. I imagined Epcot to be shoulder to shoulder but it really wasn't that bad. We showed up in the late afternoon and went to World Showcase after the first Illuminations. We found a spot inside a tape line about 30 minutes before the fireworks. I might do that a little earlier this year so I can be more choosy. The transportation out is as bad as the rumors suggest. We waited over an hour for a bus (to Saratoga) and we got in line around 2am. If you expect these things, you can make the best of it and enjoy the whole evening.

The fireworks on 12/30 at MK are the countdown fireworks and have not been overly crowded on the years that we've gone. It was getting cold last year so I don't know if that factored in or not.

Wow, really? So, hotel prices drop on January 2 (see any rate calendar at the WDW hotel booking pages), but it's still super busy? I get that the drop in hours doesn't help, but it's Christmas crowded after New Year's?
We’ve been 2x NYE week, so first week of Jan & 1x XMas week. Things slowed a bit towards Thurs after NYE, but many schools are off that week including ours. Both of those visits Marathon wkend started that Thurs though so it did affect crowds.

I went between xmas and NYE about 10 years ago and had a blast! I'm taking my girls again this year during that week and am sooo looking forward to it! I love the hustle and bustle, people watching, decorations, and general good buzz you get! That said, you have to go into it managing your expectations! Large crowds, long lines...just plan ahead and roll with it and you can have a great time!!

My kid finished up her Disney College program on January 4 19. My wife and I arrived on 28 December and it’s the most crowded we had ever seen in the parks. We’re frequent visitors both busy and slow times and this definitely falls into the busy category.

If you have fast passes you’ll get to go on those rides, but be prepared to wait a really long time for rides that aren’t worth the wait, including the bathroom. Well maybe the bathroom is worth the wait, LOL.

I still enjoyed myself but I don’t think I would ever go over a holiday like that again unless it was a special occasion such as our trip this past year.

My wife left on January 3 to fly home and the kid and I hit the road in her car the morning of the fourth. It was a wonderful experience for everybody involved, but again there has to be something special attached to get me in the parks when it’s that crowded. Keep your expectations of accomplishing things like rides and getting food and stuff low and you’ll do just fine. I say go.

It is actually pretty brutal. Magic Kingdom is generally shoulder to shoulder with no visible path to move forward or backwards. Epcot is better but people are drunker. We have done both when we were more patient than now and had kids that needed to vacation based upon school holidays. I will not do it again. If you want to be there just for the experience you can enjoy it. If you are wanting to ride rides but are not big on parades and waiting hours for fireworks, then it is a waste of $ and vacation time.

I had a great time a few years ago, and we plan to go again this year. I didn't go to the MK or Epcot on NYE, I went to DHS and left by 9pm. I knew it would be crowded so we just went back to the resort then rope dropped the MK New Years Day.

It's definitely as packed as people say, BUT I would say with adequate preparation, it's completely doable. I did almost the exact same window as your trip maybe 3-4 years ago, and I was super apprehensive about the crowds. However, I had all my ADRs and FPs booked as soon as they opened, and my family was still able to see almost everything we wanted to see (and with no Park Hopper either!), even with some mistakes such as going to parks with EMH when we're terrible at making rope drop in time.

Now we did of course miss a few things here or there (e.g. still haven't gotten to ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad after multiple trips, and missed Rock n Roller Coaster during that New Year's trip even though I love that ride) but overall we left exhausted but satisfied. (I cannot stress the "exhausted" part enough however-- my mom still complains about it, and we were definitely getting snappy at each other by a few days in. Recovered though, after great times in the park.)

We also paid extra for dining packages, e.g. for Fantasmic, Candlelight Processional, and MK fireworks, so that definitely helped. The one thing I remember we had to scope out seating super early for was the MK daytime parade, and that was difficult but again we still ended up getting an ok spot without having to do anything too crazy. Same with IllumiNations-- utterly packed, but still feasible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter