• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How bad will the parks be for the Thanksgiving holiday?

Crazy4DisneyandTink

Mouseketeer
Next week (from Tuesday through Sunday), my DD and I will be visiting my DS who is the Disney College Program. I know that the parks will be extremely crowded, but will we be miserable? Our plan is to be at the parks at rope drop every day.

Do a quick search for "Thanksgiving" and you'll find a lot of threads discussing this. The quick and dirty answer is you'll be miserable if you chose to be. It's a major holiday, so it's crowded. But how bad is subjective. I don't think it's all that bad, with the exception of MK on Thanksgiving Day itself, that gets pretty crowded later in the day. We don't even rope drop, we don't find it of much value to us...we'd rather get the extra sleep. You will have to have some patience, as bathrooms are crowded, the QS places are crowded, and there are just more people around in general. Be in the holiday spirit, use FP+ to the fullest, and have a great time!!

It has been a few years since we were there over Thanksgiving, but the crowds, while large, were honetly less than I expected. Maybe I was just ready for the worst and it never happened. I don't recall any of the lines being terrible. It may have changed in the last 4 years.

We’ve been there that week and one thing that stuck with me was the absolute gridlock in Magic Kingdom. There were so many strollers and people in the evening you honestly couldn’t move, felt like Times Square on the holidays. They opened a back alley to alleviate outbound traffic.

I love Disney World but I have seen the Xmas and Thanksgiving crowds first hand and would never do that again. That said our son was in the CP program 2 times, spend lots of time outside the parks go resort/bar hopping or have your CP try to get Hoop Dee Doo tickets they get a crazy discount like 40-50%.

I honestly don’t think thanksgiving is that bad except for MK on thanksgiving day. Epcot used to be bad on Black Friday but with the international festival of the holidays starting the Sunday before you arrive it shouldn’t be too bad. I would suggest eating at a resort thanksgiving day for dinner.

2 years ago we went Thanksgiving week. 2 adults and 5 kids. Thanksgiving day I finally had enough and asked my husband to remind me of that moment if I EVER mentioned going that week again...We leave on Saturday...

We've been to the parks on Thanksgiving for the last four years and always manage to have a great time. Sure, it's crowded, but the weather has always been warmer than at home (Chicago) and the holiday atmosphere is amazing. We have APs and go knowing that it will be crowded and we may not get to do too many rides, but we'll have plenty of trips in the future. There's no place we'd rather be.

Do large crowds, long lines, and the possibility of not doing everything you may have wanted to make you miserable? If so, then yeah you may be miserable.

Can being at Disney with an aura of holiday magic all around you counteract that feeling misery? If so, then no you shouldn't be miserable. Just be realistic and take it for what it is.

2 years ago we went Thanksgiving week. 2 adults and 5 kids. Thanksgiving day I finally had enough and asked my husband to remind me of that moment if I EVER mentioned going that week again...We leave on Saturday...
:rotfl2::rotfl2:Good luck and have fun!

:rotfl:I'll second that, have a great time! When it comes to WDW, we're all willing gluttons for punishment. :goodvibes

Any holiday or time when it will be crowded you need to adjust your expectations. You can't go in thinking that there will be short lines for anything, you need to book your FP and dining if you wish, you also should RD, but plan to leave for the afternoon - that is typically the height of the crowds because of the off site guests arriving late morning, but return for the evening just to take in the park at night with all the holiday decorations. Just relax and enjoy your time there.

I honestly don’t think thanksgiving is that bad except for MK on thanksgiving day. Epcot used to be bad on Black Friday but with the international festival of the holidays starting the Sunday before you arrive it shouldn’t be too bad. I would suggest eating at a resort thanksgiving day for dinner.

And of course we'll be at MK on Thanksgiving! My son works on that day and I want to see him in action!

We've been to the parks on Thanksgiving for the last four years and always manage to have a great time. Sure, it's crowded, but the weather has always been warmer than at home (Chicago) and the holiday atmosphere is amazing. We have APs and go knowing that it will be crowded and we may not get to do too many rides, but we'll have plenty of trips in the future. There's no place we'd rather be.

We're from Chicago too and I'm looking forward to getting away from the early Winter we're having. I told my DD that because we were just at WDW in August and did everything we wanted to do, that this trip we'll just take it easy, sight see and ride rides that we have FPs for.

Any holiday or time when it will be crowded you need to adjust your expectations. You can't go in thinking that there will be short lines for anything, you need to book your FP and dining if you wish, you also should RD, but plan to leave for the afternoon - that is typically the height of the crowds because of the off site guests arriving late morning, but return for the evening just to take in the park at night with all the holiday decorations. Just relax and enjoy your time there.

We plan to be there at RD, but I'm afraid if we leave that MK will be filled to capacity and we won't be able to get back in for the fireworks and the night time lights.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter