How big is your kids high school?

DD just graduated but capacity of the school is 1,000 so give or take that amount.

Our HS is grades 10-12, so only 3 grades. Each class has approximately 1,100 students. Approximately 3,300 (give or take a few) in the high school.

My secondary school grad class was just over 100. the whole school grades 9-12 English and French Immersion was about 850. I would say it's still out the same as no additions or portables have been added since. DD will atnd this school in 6 years. Yikes!

About 1900-2000 in high school. It keeps growing. Senior class is about 450. Kindergarten is 900+. Not sure WTH they will do once those kids are high school ready. The building is maxed out with the current size classes of Freshman-Seniors.

2000 roughly in all 4 grades.

The school I worked in at one time (back in CA) topped 6,000 one year. That was nuts.

We live in a pretty small town. We have 7-12 in one building, classified as the Jr/Sr High School, and there are about 1000 students total in the 6 grades.

Ironically, we are one town over from a fairly large city, which has the biggest high school in the state. In 2016 their enrollment was 4200+. One of their graduating classes, is larger than our entire school.

When DS graduated in 2015, there were 132 kids in his class.

DD graduated in 2009 and enrollment for all 4 grades was about 1,000.
I hear it is about 850 now, they lost a lot of students when the economy tanked and people moved to less expensive areas.

The high school I teach at is around 2,500 students with around 500 something in each class. Graduations are lonnngggg. :rolleyes1

I'm in south jersey and most towns have their own HS. My sons school is about 500 kids. 120 in his senior class.

My son starts HS in a few weeks. His school has about 1000 students. It's actually the oldest HS in the state (to still be in the original building though there has been many additions)

Wow! There are some huge high schools out there!
There are about 275 kids at our local high school. My high school had about 1,000 and I thought that was large.

My high school (9-12) in Texas was somewhere over 3000. I graduated in a class of a little over 800. Traffic in the area was only bad in the morning and afternoon whenever the last bell rang. Juniors and seniors could park, but only seniors had reserved spots. The only "bad" thing about going to a big high school was getting into college... I was going to Texas A&M no matter what but only the top 10% had automatic admission. I was in the 3rd quarter of my class, and I had no chance. I got denied the first go around and went to a satellite campus and transferred a year later.
Not sure if your state has similar automatic admission policies, and you're probably not even worried about college yet, but that was the biggest downside to going to a large high school.

The high school DD will go to next year has 1500, and that is small for our system. There are at least 3 high schools in the district over 2500.

My kids have the unique distinction of going to the largest high school in the state of Georgia. My daughter has just started her senior year and my son is just starting as a freshman.

For this year 3655 kids and counting, final enrollment numbers will not be out for another few weeks. In years past the school gains another 50-100 students between the first day of school and labor day.

I was apprehensive 3 years ago but have just come to accept the massive size of the student body and the 51 trailers used as additional classrooms.

The only ongoing problem is parking and traffic. The high school is located next to a middle school and an elementary school. You don't want to be going past the schools between 6:30am-9:30am or 2:20pm-4:30pm because schools and churches both make for really bad traffic neighbors. Only seniors are guaranteed a parking permit. There is a cyber Thursday style free for all for the juniors trying to get a parking permit when the web site opens for purchases.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/these...hools-gwinnett-county/XVPIe3bfBjc83YqXz3q9bM/
Sounds exactly like the high school all my kids went to. A block and a half away from the middle school they went to, and another block away from an elementary school. I had to deal with that traffic there for 12 years (the way my kids were spaced).

My kids High School school in Georgia is high too. Registration Day was a freaking mess. Parking lot couldn't handle all the people and folks were making their own spots which blocked people in left and right and also made it so you couldn't just drive around the parking lot like you are supposed to be able to do.

I gave some suggestions on the High School facebook page to alleviate the problem but it was promptly removed. Then I sent an email to the High School and haven't heard anything back. I don't expect to either.

And the first day of school in the morning? My Daughters bus broke down about 1 mile from the High School. Couldn't believe they didn't service the buses over the summer.

Kid misses the bus? You are screwed because even though the school is only 10 minutes from your house it takes 45 minutes to get over there in the morning due to every other parent who is driving their kid to school. My neighbors son was so excited he got a parking permit this year and discovered he has to leave for school by 6:20am or else he'll be late. He's not thrilled about that.

I'm very happy it's my Daughters last year at the High School. On the plus side, it's a sought after school district so when we reach the point when we are ready to sell our house because we can't do stairs anymore I've no doubt it will sell fast.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter