• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Can You Utilize an Unused, Expired Ticket?

Primeval Princess

Momketeer
Long story short, we're stuck with unused, expired dated tickets. Can these be turned into usable tickets? If so, how?

ETA: The tickets expired last year. This is unrelated to closure.

Last edited:
Are you sure your tickets are actually currently expired?

According to https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/

(which I actually tried to quote, but the Disney site won't let me copy and paste from the page. Oh well...)

any date based tickets with a valid use period beginning March 12 through the closure will be automatically extended to use any day through December 15. If you are unable to use the ticket by December 15, wholly unused tickets can have their value applied to purchase of a future ticket. How, I'm not sure, I imagine you would have to call WDW ticketing and ask.

Are you sure your tickets are actually currently expired?

According to https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/

(which I actually tried to quote, but the Disney site won't let me copy and paste from the page. Oh well...)

any date based tickets with a valid use period beginning March 12 through the closure will be automatically extended to use any day through December 15. If you are unable to use the ticket by December 15, wholly unused tickets can have their value applied to purchase of a future ticket. How, I'm not sure, I imagine you would have to call WDW ticketing and ask.
Seems to be how it works for these current times. A lot of worries that you might need to go to guest relations in order to have the value applied to the future ticket. My guess is we won’t have a concrete answer until December 16th. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Yes, they expired last year. This is unrelated to closure. (I know, imagine that.)

You call WDW, and tell the CM that you have unused expired date-based tickets, and you would like to apply their value to the purchase of new tickets. The first CM you get will likely not be able to put the transaction through for you. You might have to repeat your request to a few other CMs as you get transferred from one to another. Once you get the right CM on the phone, the repurchase of tickets takes less than 5 minutes. It will help if you have your original confirmation number handy (should be in your email from when you first bought the tickets). Also have a credit card ready in the event that your new tickets are more expensive than the previous ones; you will have to pay the difference.

Also have a credit card ready in the event that your new tickets are more expensive than the previous ones; you will have to pay the difference.

Since OP's tickets expired last year, there will most definitely be a price increase.

I just spoke with Ticket Services earlier today about this very topic. (Except that my tickets were not date-specific, they just expired at the end of 2019.) One unfortunate thing I discovered is that because my ticket was purchased third-party, using it to purchase a new ticket will have to be done in person.
I asked if they might be able to instead put the value onto a gift card, but that wasn't possible. In fact, the CM I spoke with wasn't able to find out what the value is - allegedly because of the third party issue, I won't know until I actually go to do the transaction.
I'll probably call again in couple weeks to see if a different CM can give me more information.

I just spoke with Ticket Services earlier today about this very topic. (Except that my tickets were not date-specific, they just expired at the end of 2019.) One unfortunate thing I discovered is that because my ticket was purchased third-party, using it to purchase a new ticket will have to be done in person.
I asked if they might be able to instead put the value onto a gift card, but that wasn't possible. In fact,
1. the CM I spoke with wasn't able to find out what the value is - allegedly because of the third party issue, I won't know until I actually go to do the transaction.
2. I'll probably call again in couple weeks to see if a different CM can give me more information.
1. That is not an issue. The value is identical to the price as if you had bought the tickets directly on- line from Disney.
2. Yup.

1. That is not an issue. The value is identical to the price as if you had bought the tickets directly on- line from Disney.
That's certainly what it's upposed to be, but we've all heard the stories of cast members who 1) aren't as well-versed as they should be, and 2) are certain that they're correct.
The other complication is that the ticket was sitting on a profile of a non-existent person that was used just used a parking place for tickets until they were ready to be used. I had a GS CM last January who wanted to see this person standing at the desk in front of them.
I'll be holding my breath until the transaction is complete.

That's certainly what it's upposed to be, but we've all heard the stories of cast members who 1) aren't as well-versed as they should be, and 2) are certain that they're correct.
The "ends" of those stories are generally "happy," however.
(Move on to another CM.)

That's why the info on these boards can be so valuable.

Last edited:
Since OP's tickets expired last year, there will most definitely be a price increase.

For the same entitlements, there will be a price increase. We don't know what kind of a trip OP has planned, though. If it's a shorter trip or if they switch from hoppers to base tickets, for example, the new tickets might not be more expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter