How close is Miami airport to the port?

Canadian Girl

DIS Veteran
We are doing a five day Magic cruise next March with my daughters and bringing my older daughter’s friend to celebrate their upcoming HS graduation and friend’s birthday. Because it will be March and weather in Canada can be all over the place at that time of year, we plan to fly in a day or two early. How close is the airport to the port? Would it be reasonable to take a taxi or is it better to book transportation through Disney? Also, I have never been to Miami and am a bit nervous being out and about with three teens and not knowing where to go. Are there areas to shop near the airport? Should we go instead to the port and stay there? So many things to plan.

We are doing a five day Magic cruise next March with my daughters and bringing my older daughter’s friend to celebrate their upcoming HS graduation and friend’s birthday. Because it will be March and weather in Canada can be all over the place at that time of year, we plan to fly in a day or two early. How close is the airport to the port? Would it be reasonable to take a taxi or is it better to book transportation through Disney? Also, I have never been to Miami and am a bit nervous being out and about with three teens and not knowing where to go. Are there areas to shop near the airport? Should we go instead to the port and stay there? So many things to plan.
About 10 miles from airport to cruise port.

It doesn't take long. We were happy with Disney transport.

I grew up in Miami and return frequently.
The airport and port are close to each other. You can easily taxi or Uber.
If you are coming in early, then stay on south beach which is a short ride from the airport. South Beach is great because you can walk to restaurants and shops. We love The Betsy and the Ritz Carlton-South Beach (currently closed for renovation, and I am not sure when it will reopen; this is the perfect location though as it is close to Lincoln Road Mall which you and the kids will love). The port is also close to South Beach.
Even if you are in Miami for just a night, stay on South Beach.
Be sure to make dining reservations! Restaurants owned by celebrity chefs fill on weekends.
There’s a long “boardwalk” along the beach which is fun for bike riding.
You will be safe walking around South Beach, just keep your wits about you since it it a big city.
As someone else suggested, you can fly into FLL, but it’s about a 40 minute drive to the port and South Beach from there. Sometimes the cost of transfers and time involved isn’t worth the decrease in flight cost. Plan it out carefully.
Happy Travels!

If you are coming in one day early and want to conserve money, you can stay at one of the airport hotels. Most have shuttles to the port but you'll find it inexpensive and more convenient to book private transportation. With shuttles, you may or may not get on the shuttle you want, which may or may not leave at the scheduled time. Pick an upscale hotel with a decent pool and order dinner in. We stayed at the Sheraton and it was just fine for what we wanted. South Beach would be fun but this is an option - especially for part of 1 day and 1 night.

Hi we cruised on DCL out of Miami. Flew the day before and stayed at the Marriott village near the airport. Took a shuttle that the Marriott arranges with a private company. Quick and no problems. Have stayed in South Beach on a non cruise vacation and it is a fun place but hotels are expensive.

Taxi's from Miami Airport to the Cruise Terminal have a flat fee, $27.00 per one way trip.

We swore off taxis in March. Usually use Uber but when getting off the ship my husband wanted to go for traditional taxi. Cost us >$45 to South Beach hotel. The taxi was filthy and driver horrible. Found out later from hotel that we likely got ripped off because should not have been that high. One clue was that he told us credit card machine "was broken" when we tried to use it. Never again.

For comparison to taxi our Uber from Townplace hotel near airport to port was $12.01. Clean, polite, helpful. Truly a night and day experience. Can't support the taxis when they don't even give a d--- about their customers.

I also support going to South Beach- even if just for the day. It's one of our favorite places; so much fun just strolling around checking out the architecture, beach and people. Lots of college spring breakers in action though- which could go either way for the girls lol.

I forgot to share that we always eat at “Versailles” for Cuban. It’s a Miami institution on Calle Ocho. A friend of mine also recommends “Havana Harry’s” in Cora Gables.
Another fun activity is the Venetian Pool, also in coral gables. It’s super fascinating.

We swore off taxis in March. Usually use Uber but when getting off the ship my husband wanted to go for traditional taxi. Cost us >$45 to South Beach hotel. The taxi was filthy and driver horrible. Found out later from hotel that we likely got ripped off because should not have been that high. One clue was that he told us credit card machine "was broken" when we tried to use it. Never again.
We had a similar experience in Miami taking a taxi from the port to the car rental center near the airport. Not only was the fare excessive compared to what we had paid in prior years, but we got the same "credit card machine is broken" business from the driver. I had barely enough cash on hand to pay off the taxi fare. When the driver expressed his unhappiness about the meager tip, I told him he had cleaned me out until I could get to an ATM, since I had always paid by credit card and he had not indicated that we couldn't do that when we got in his cab. I have since switched to using Uber or Lyft in Miami, with excellent results, both with respect to service and cost.

You probably would have been better to go straight to Google Maps, and input directions from the airport to the Port of Miami. It will immediately give you distance and estimated travel time.

Most of the hotels around the airport have cruise packages. Personally I'd just Uber for 20.00 dollars.

South beach is fun especiLly for teens. Go in two days early, splurge a bit on a hotel and have a blast walking the boardwalk, people watching and the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter