How come my creeping phlox are not creeping?

Kahana-ri

DIS Veteran Needs to learn how to ride a lawnmower
I planted phlox in my flower bed and it has yet to creep or flower anything. They look little mini shrubs just sitting there. Needless to say I am no so happy seeing my mini bushes where I thought I would have beautiful flowery ground cover. :headache:

Dunno. Are you sure that you bought creeping phlox and not just regular phlox? How long has it been in the ground?

Well, the tags said 'creeping' phlox. I planted them in April/May. I am assuming regular phlox don't 'creep. Great-I must have impostor phlox. :rolleyes:

Do you have the area heavily mulched? Is there landscape fabric? I wouldn't expect any "creeping" from them until after they're done flowering, then they'll likely put on some green growth all around. Usually a plant will put its energy either into flowering, or root/top growth, but commonly will not do both at the same time. Give it time, and throw a little compost around it to give it a boost.

The "creeping" will more than likely not begin until next spring as the plant is stressed and focusing energy on establishing roots. I know that my phlox that have been in the same area for 3 years are just now starting to bloom so you may yet get some flowers this year. If you bought them at Lowes or Home Depot instead of a nursery it is very likey that they were forced to bloom out of cycle in order to make them sell faster. If this is the case it can sometimes take a couple of years for the plants bloom predictably. If the foliage looks healthy a little shot of a low nitrogen fertilizer might help get some flowers out for you.

The phlox just look like little shrubs. Very healthy and green, and since I have written the OP, I can see the may be creeping a bit. I guess I will have to wait until next spring for blooms? :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter