• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How comfortable are those Double Sleeper couches?

CableKC

DIS Veteran
I was curious and was taking a look at how much it would cost to stay at one of the DW Resorts. I noticed that many of the resorts ( outside of a few ) only have Studio options where there is a Queen sized bed and then a pull out couch that also serves as the Doubles sleeper bed.

Given that there is the possibility that if I book any of these Studio bedrooms that I'd be sleeping on the Doubles sleeper bed, I have some minor back and neck issues ( if I sleep the wrong way ) and the simple fact that I'm getting old, how comfortable are they?

Sleeping on Sleeper Couch for a day or two could be tolerable; but if I'm looking at staying for up to a week, I'm wondering if that may not be good for someone like me.

Thoughts?

I preferred the sleeper sofa to the regular mattress, but I like sleeping on a firmer surface vs. too soft of one. I spent 8 nights sharing one with my at the time 2-year old son a few years ago, and got a great night's sleep every night. It's probably worth noting that I weighed around 250 pounds at the time.

It's a subjective question, but we've found them to be pretty awful. We've stayed at two separate resorts in a studio (Poly and BWV) and they were absolutely awful. Like, never again awful. I'd rather bring an air mattress or pay for a regular resort room with two regular beds.

But, I would give the rooms at Riviera (and soon to be Saratoga Springs after they update it all) a try because they have a murphy bed that has a mattress much more like a normal bed. We stayed at Movies and they have murphy beds -- and that was just as comfortable as a regular bed IMO.

Neither myself nor my wife have found them to be at all comfortable. Thin mattress so you can feel the bar where it folds.
This is my thought as well. I can live with it for a couple of days....but up to a week? Not so sure.

That's part of the problem with the current Resort options, most are the Studio rooms with a Sleeper. I'd have to pay a premium in order to get a 2nd actual bed.

We liked the pull-down beds at Riviera and thought they were very comfortable. The pull-out sofa beds, IMHO, are awful.

They aren't the best but I tolerate them when we stay in studios. The newer DVCs usually have better pull downs. I was okay on the Riviera couch murphy bed.

Have slept on teh sleeper sofa in a 1 BR at Boardwalk and it was comfortable. MIght have been new as the room had been recently remodeled before our visit.

Neither myself nor my wife have found them to be at all comfortable. Thin mattress so you can feel the bar where it folds.

We found exactly the same thing. My DH slept on it one night and the bar killed his back. Yes you can definitely feel that bar.

In my opinion the sleeper sofa is not comfortable at all for adults . My kids were ok on it though. They felt it was comfortable

I think it depends on the individual sleeper sofa. I’ve slept on about 10 different ones over the years, and they weren’t typically bad except one trip I could feel the bar. But my parents usually get a 1br wheelchair accessible room, so we don’t have to share a bedroom for a week, so maybe those aren’t as abused as a regular studio room?

Most of the sleeper sofas are platform style. And they are horrible for sleeping. A few resorts have a murphy bed for the extra bed. I've heard they are better, but I really prefer a real bed to a convertible bed. OKW studios always have to real queen beds in the studios, no convertible beds. That's the only studio we will stay in.

Kids in our group get the convertible beds. Adults get real beds.

I am 6'8" tall. I toss and turn all night. I slept on a hide-away a few years ago at AKL. Although it wasn't as comfortable as the actual bed, the mattress was obviously much thinner than the standard mattress, I was still able to get the same type of sleep as usual. My wife, at least, got a better sleep in the bed. I didn't notice the back breaking bar that is usually present in hide-away beds. It was a little difficult to fold back up each morning. We've since decided that we prefer a one bedroom villa as opposed to a deluxe studio room.

It's a subjective question, but we've found them to be pretty awful. We've stayed at two separate resorts in a studio (Poly and BWV) and they were absolutely awful. Like, never again awful. I'd rather bring an air mattress or pay for a regular resort room with two regular beds.

But, I would give the rooms at Riviera (and soon to be Saratoga Springs after they update it all) a try because they have a murphy bed that has a mattress much more like a normal bed. We stayed at Movies and they have murphy beds -- and that was just as comfortable as a regular bed IMO.
We ended up buying a cheap full size air mattress at Walmart because the kids were complaining..
It was 8.00 for the air mattress used the hair dryer to fill it. One of my kids took the mattress the other slept on the sofa ( folded)

We ended up buying a cheap full size air mattress at Walmart because the kids were complaining..
It was 8.00 for the air mattress used the hair dryer to fill it. One of my kids took the mattress the other slept on the sofa ( folded)
My kids hated the pull out sofa too. When a 9 and 6 year old are complaining it's not comfortable, you know you've got problems. They can normally fall asleep anywhere.

My DD also did not like the pull out, so I had to sleep on it and I will say that I could only handle it for a couple of nights in a row, then my back started to hurt from it. So we kept switching with DD, we both slept better in the real bed. Also, I did find sleeping on the sofa better then the pull out, even though you really cannot move around much.

My girls said the sofa bed was fine for our stay at BWV and they slept on it for 5 nights. They fell asleep quite quickly and our oldest is 15. Our son slept on the Murphy bed and it was comfortable for him.

I slept on the pull out at SSR about 3 years after its opened. It was the most uncomfortable experience. I could feel the bar at the foldall night long. Never again.

As others have said, the sofa beds are pretty bad. Once I rented a 1 br at SSR and brought my parents along. I gave them the bedroom and I took the sofa bed. I survived but I wouldn't do it again, and that trip was only 3 nights.

Are you looking only at DVC Villa resorts? Most regular rooms on Disney property have 2 queen sized beds. Sleeper sofas are a DVC specific thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter