• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How crowded is Columbus Day weekend usually???

edk35

DIS Veteran
We currently have a trip planned for 5 nights starting Oct. 8th. Columbus Day is the 12th. If Disney had not been closed (a normal Columbus Day) is that weekend a busy one typically like other 3 day weekends? It is also Food and Wine. Thanks for any tips/advice.

Went Oct 2018, and it was really really busy, and hot!. Several states have week long fall breaks the first or second week of October. It felt like half of Tennessee and Kentucky were there when we went.

We had fun, but if you're looking for lower crowds that ain't the time to go.

We've done that weekend the last few years as my kids are typically off Thursday through Monday for fall break. Stout but manageable from my perspective. I think the emergence of the "fall break" concept continues to build/shift demand during this time-frame.

Watch MNSSHP dates and plan you MK visits accordingly.

We also went Columbus Day 2018. We'll never do it again. We always go in the summer when it is hot and crowded, but that weekend was a nightmare. MNSSHP and Food and Wine were great, though - highly recommend :)

So when people reference columbus day weekend, are they referring to the week leading up to columbus day or the days following the actual columbus day holiday?

Went Oct 2018, and it was really really busy, and hot!. Several states have week long fall breaks the first or second week of October. It felt like half of Tennessee and Kentucky were there when we went.

We had fun, but if you're looking for lower crowds that ain't the time to go.
We went mid Oct. 2016 and the only time I felt it was crowded was on the weekends at Epcot.

We've visited 6 out of the last 10 Columbus Day weekends because it's our Fall Break here in ATL. Our break is Thursday (before Columbus Day) through Columbus Day Monday, but there are local variations around that weekend, and often you see guests that may decide to pull kids a day early or stay a day later.

There is a lot to do, which is fun, but also attracts people, for example, MNSSHP and F&W.

Weather has been good for 4 out of our 6 visits. And by good, I mean, hot - 80s and 90s (note: I like hot weather). For 2 out of 6 visits, weather was not good, including Hurricane Matthew in 2016 (which disrupted a lot of travel) and the Saturday and Sunday in 2011. I think the weather attracts a lot of people who want to use the pool, but don't want to deal with the extreme summer weather (hot, humid and thunderstormy), or the September peak hurricane season.

It's busy. Expect to see 150+ minutes for 7DMT.

We've visited 6 out of the last 10 Columbus Day weekends because it's our Fall Break here in ATL. Our break is Thursday (before Columbus Day) through Columbus Day Monday, but there are local variations around that weekend, and often you see guests that may decide to pull kids a day early or stay a day later.

There is a lot to do, which is fun, but also attracts people, for example, MNSSHP and F&W.

Weather has been good for 4 out of our 6 visits. And by good, I mean, hot - 80s and 90s (note: I like hot weather). For 2 out of 6 visits, weather was not good, including Hurricane Matthew in 2016 (which disrupted a lot of travel) and the Saturday and Sunday in 2011. I think the weather attracts a lot of people who want to use the pool, but don't want to deal with the extreme summer weather (hot, humid and thunderstormy), or the September peak hurricane season.

It's busy. Expect to see 150+ minutes for 7DMT.
Thank you!!! See I am also thinking that the parks are GOING TO BE SO CROWDED when they do open backup. Lots of people have rescheduled trips too. I might rethink this. LOL We were just there for 8 nights. We left March 14th so we had a great trip. Our next trip aside from the Oct. one is next March again. I might just have to wait until next March.

Last edited:
We go every year at that time, as others have said, it's a long weekend. The parks will be brutal.
That being said, we enjoy the resort, Disney Springs, Lego Land, etc... and we try to do a party and/or HHN.

usually a busy time to go both prior to and after Columbus Day. This year, it will be nutz with all the rescheduled trips.

I was there this past October with a group. It was much more crowded than I expected, especially MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter