How dark is the haunted mansion

There's very few cameras that can take a picture or video of the ride. It's pretty dark but not total darkness (except a few second sequence in the stretch room).

If you can walk around disney in the dark (disney isn't all that bright unless it's a party night) then you'll get about the same inside the ride.

there is one park that is totally dark-- when you're loaded in to the stretching room... "there are no windows and no doors..." lights go out for a moment, then some over head lighting goes on and a a hanged person (ghost?) is seen, then you're ushered into the ride loading room

Agree with PP--the darkest part is when the lights briefly go out in the stretching room before you get on the actual ride. The rest of it is pretty dark, but I wouldn't say you are ever in total darkness. You'd be hard pressed to get a good photo in there (and no flash photography).

there is one park that is totally dark-- when you're loaded in to the stretching room... "there are no windows and no doors..." lights go out for a moment, then some over head lighting goes on and a a hanged person (ghost?) is seen, then you're ushered into the ride loading room

It does go completely dark after the hanged man scene. The hanged man, by the way, is the Ghost host's mortal body. He has challenged you to find a way out, and then shows you that "there's always my way," basically implying that death is your only escape. He's just kidding though. Now, "look alive."

Well, it is implied that he became a ghost and a denizen of the Mansion by tossing himself from the rafters. When he says to "Find a way out!" to the visitors he then says "Of course, there's always my way," after which the hanged body is shown plus the scream and crash depicting his fall. So, his "way" is through death. It's a little intense, I know, but he's also just being a sardonic joker. "Oh, I didn't mean to frighten you." It's just a ghost's way of messing with the visitors.

That's how I take it anyway. I think that's the most common interpretation. Less clear: Is the Ghost Host actually Master Gracey or are they seperate indiviuals?

Personally, I think it depends on why you're asking. Aside from the brief moment in the stretching room where things do go completely dark, the rest of the attraction has low lighting, but it's not that dark. I didn't have any trouble seeing the scenes in the attraction or the person next to me in the Doombuggy. I could also pretty easily see the people in front of me in line (waiting to get into the Doombuggies). Now if you're asking about photography, then I think you do need a pretty good camera and low light lens to get any decent photos of the attraction because of the low lighting.

Less clear: Is the Ghost Host actually Master Gracey or are they seperate indiviuals?
I kind of thought they were separate individuals. That the Ghost Host was someone that lived/worked in the manor, while Master Gracey was the owner. His tombstone is in the MK graveyard, indicating that he's already dead (unlike the host who just hanged himself - I agree with the popular theory that "his way" is to die), so that Master Gracey would already been a spirit inside the manor (or maybe he didn't stick around :rotfl:).

I kind of thought they were separate individuals. That the Ghost Host was someone that lived/worked in the manor, while Master Gracey was the owner. His tombstone is in the MK graveyard, indicating that he's already dead (unlike the host who just hanged himself - I agree with the popular theory that "his way" is to die), so that Master Gracey would already been a spirit inside the manor (or maybe he didn't stick around :rotfl:).
I agree they are separate, but I think the Ghost Host still died long ago. His corpse has been hanging there since. I was reading that some things have said they were the same. I do not ascribe to the theory though.

I think it depends on why you're asking

Good point! If someone is afraid of the dark, it's very dark. I think it's very dark after leaving the shrinking room to join the queue for the doombuggies. HM is our favorite attraction on property.:earsboy:

The HM is dark, but the only time it's really completely dark is the few seconds in the Stretching Room when the Ghost Host hangs himself.

For others in this thread let's clear this up: The Ghost Host is separate from Master Gracey. And yes the Ghost Host is DEAD after the stretching room. It's his spirit narrating.
You can see the portrait of the Ghost Host in his "mortal" form in the hall of doors where the purple wallpaper with the eyes is. You can clearly see the noose around his neck from the Stretching Room:
THIS is him:
tumblr_inline_midy2hgxAl1qz4rgp.jpg

Master Gracey is the owner of the home. It is him in the magic aging portrait when you are welcomed in the the HM's foyer
yiikqflots7qkjfmxkct.jpg

This is a shot of the Master Gracey portrait in the Foyer of the HM, but here is in his "not so mortal state":
e7ffd7537c8bb72ab0a06665618be1c8.jpg

Last edited:
If you have trouble with seeing in the dark, it's pretty darn dark. My grandmother (87) visited recently - she's got decent vision, but had great trouble seeing things on the ride. My mother also thought it was extremely dark in areas.

If you're traveling with kids afraid of the dark, I'd recommend skipping it. We thought it would be OK for my niece, as you can see everything, but it was still too dark for her to be comfortable going through.

Title says it all. I'm just wondering how dark is the haunted mansion
Darn enough. But, not too dark.

Now don't close your eyes,
And don't try to hide.
Or a silly spook may sit by your side.
Shrouded in a daft disguise,
They pretend to terrorize.
Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize.

If you're asking for a kid, just make the ride a joke.

I remember being 5 years old and my mom laughing the whole time to ease my anxiety, especially during the pitch black stretch room scene.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter